Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 10:03

Plan: low carbing
Stats: 191/173/155 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 50%
Angry ahhhh!!!!!!

Hello, right now I am very frustrated with the Atkins plan.

I havn't even started it yet but I am in the process of planning my meals for the first 2 weeks of induction. Since I have an allergy to eggs, nuts, and fish I am very limited to what I can eat. So I phoned the 1 800 number and they told me to eat more veg's instead, as long as i keep the range of net carbs between 17 and 20. Well, from what I was reading we are only allowed certain amounts of vegs and certain amouts of the other vegs. With the plan i made i have way more then enough vegies from all catergories allowed. So the guy on the phone said it doesnt matter how many veggies you eat as long as you get the carbs. So then why does the book say to limit the veggies in the first 2 weeks?? I don't get it.

So is this going to make this plan more difficult for me to lose the weight or does anyone know that it shouldn't matter??????????

Sorry for venting but I really want this to work.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 10:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/199/170 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: -7%

There are plenty of protein sources besides eggs, nuts & fish. How about sausage for breakfast, or ham, or bacon. Dr. Atkins recommends that you avoid nitrates, which is tough, but they do make nitrate free bacon. There are plenty of nutrition experts who advise eating leftovers from dinner for breakfast. THere is nothing that says you have to eat 'breakfast foods'.
I have rediscovered pork as a great protein source. It can be prepared in a variety of ways, and tastes great. I eat a LOT of chicken. I buy large family packs of chicken thighs, marinate them or brine them, cook them up and then freeze about half and keep half ready to eat.
You are definitely on the right path if you are planning meals ahead of time. That is really the best way to do this WOE.

Don't get discouraged!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 11:52
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

You can do quite well without eating eggs, fish or nuts. I eat little fish because it's so expencive here (I would love ot eat more though) and nuts are for OWL not induciton anyway.

Breakfast also doesn't havce to be eggs. Instead have left overs. Make meat and cream cheese wraps. Fry cabbage in some bacon grease then crumble the bacon up with the cabbage.

If you limit the number of carbs you get from dairy and other sources, then it's ok to have alot more salad and other veggies. There were days I would have veggies at every meal and at least 2 with dinner, yet still remain under 15g net carbs.

Just try to have some protien with carbs when you have them. Add diced chicken or other meats to your salads.

Another breakfast idea could be the mock Jicama applesauce (I love thist stuff, recipe is in recipe forum here). You can also have pumpkin puree (make sure it's pure pumpkin) mix with some cream cheese and spices like cinnimon, cloves and nutmeg.

Look through the recipe forums on here. For the first two weeks youmight do well to acvoid the bars and other LC specialty foods. The website lists them as ok, but many find thier loss slows or stops with them.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 13:13
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

Basically, the only reason the veggies are limited is to keep you at 20g even if you aren't very accurate with counting hidden carbs, which new Atkins dieters often are not. You can take in a lot of carbs from foods which are marked as 0g on the label -- cream, eggs, cheese, coffee, splenda, etc. -- without knowing it. There are suggested limits on most of these foods, such as 2-3 tbsp cream per day, 2-3 pkts splenda, and 4 oz of cheese, but that's 7-10 carbs right there if you eat them all. However, if you follow the suggested limits AND the suggested veggie limits, you'll naturally fall under 20g, without needing a carb-counter. If you're already counting the carbs in all foods which are not pure fresh meat or pure fat, you can safely eat more veggies.

There's no particular reason why avoiding eggs, nuts, and fish should make things all that much harder. I only eat eggs by themselves about once a week, and eat nuts and fish only very rarely. I do sometimes use eggs in cooked dishes, especially in baked LC desserts, but you're probably used to coping with that already.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 13:40
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I don't eat eggs or fish and didn't have nuts at all in induction. I ate a lot of salads with protein and cheese.

Have you gotten a fitday.com account? That really helped me plan-but I only planned about 1 or two days in advance.