Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 18:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default High Protein

I'm late going home so this will have to be a quick one. I don't understand, why do people keep saying that this is a high protein diet? I personally do not eat more protein than I did before. Is it maybe because the ratio of protein to other foods you eat is higher because you minus out the carbs? When I think about it though the ratio hasn't even changed for me. Hmm, maybe I've always been on a high protein diet?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 18:39

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I think it's all a matter of definition. For some, anything more than 15-20% of your daily caloric intake from protein is considered "high". For others (like us), it's considered "adequte".
It's really a common misconception that low carb automatically means high protein. I think that is mostly since it's simply inconcievable to most people who have listened to the "fat is bad" dogma for the past few decades that we might actually be getting the majority of our calories from fat instead of protein.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 18:45

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Gee, it would be even more inflammatory if they called it the "high fat" diet, wouldn't it?
Me, I'm getting MORE protein, and I think I needed it. According to what I've been researching, I'm finally getting ENOUGH protein.
But "adequate protein" diet just doesn't have the same ring.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 18:48

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

The same people who call this a high protein diet are the ones who say you aren't allowed to have veggies during the strict induction period. Once lies are repeated over and over, they become truth in the eyes of most.

Personally I found that Atkins is TOO low of protein for my training needs. I now consume around 40% of my calories from Protein, isntead of the 25% or so when I was strictly following Atkins.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 20:41
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

It's higher protien then what the perimid recomends, but moderate for what our bodies need.

I was reading one woman's book and it suggested women need around 25g of protien a day, with up around 70g while pregnant. That would be about one chicken breast and is no where near enough to meet basic needs :P
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 22:37

Stats: 150/150/125 Female 5'4"
BF:49/24/??

I think that there is alot of mis-information out there regarding low carb eating.

I have only been doing this for about 3 weeks, and I can't understand all the fear mongering in the press and by people who don't know what this woe is all about, I think that the media is being used by large corporation who make money off cheap carb loaded junk (I know it sounds like a consipricy (sp?) theory), but their are large multi-national conglomerates who make a tonn of cash of things like french fries etc.

I mean, on average how many people in north america have veggies at at least two meals a day? and that does not include french fries as a serving of veggies. I think that the so called Nutrisionists should look at what is really going on in people's lives and not just what they have been taught from a book / professor.

The modern diet is very screwed up, and obviously the information that the public has been given as a whole is not working for them, so they are finding their own solutions like Atkins.

Off on a rant, sorry, I will stop their.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 01:33
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

High protein? It's a holdover from the '70's.

I just love calling it a high fat diet. It puts fear in the eyes of the carb-hearted.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 07:07

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Everyone knows all you eat on Atkins is bacon and eggs and cheese!

#9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 09:39

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:

Thanks for all the replys. I also wanted to make sure I was not the only one who doesn't call it a high protein diet, and I can see I'm not. Where I mostly see it is in the media, like magazines and articles like that, it doesn't matter whether they are for or against it they all still say it's a high protein diet.