Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 00:33
boy interrupted

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/265/225 Male 6'2
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Treadmill vs. street

Hi,

I have been running regulary on a treadmill and just finished playing soccer, but tonight I took a jog on the street. I was totally winded and tired after about 1/4 mile. I never get that tired on the treadmill and was wondering what the difference would be. Thanks for any help you can give me.

David
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 03:51

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
I never get that tired on the treadmill and was wondering what the difference would be.

The biggest difference is the street doesn't move for you Seriously, I have tried the same thing. While a treadmill is convienent, indoors and doesn't put as much wear on your legs.......it doesn't work you out as well either. It kind of gives you a false sense of what you "can do".

I don't recall where I read the running article, but it said if you want to more closely simulate running outside then you need to at a minimum use a 2.0 incline.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 08:56

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Oh, mrschmelz, you stole my favorite opening line:-)) "The biggest difference is the street doesn't move for you." Just kidding...
(Have you ever tried REAL treadmills? Manual ones? Those are the real challenges:-)))

One other possible reason: the different surface. Treadmill, soccer fields are dream surfaces compared to asphalt or the real nightmare: sidewalk concrete. Hard surface hard on your joints, can cause pain from toes to hip or make you tired much faster.
I have very good shoes (specailly for hard surface), and trained legs, but still my legs can handle much easier 10+ miles on track on weekends than 3 miles on sidewalk on weekdays.

Btw it is interesting, for me treadmill is the real killer. The psychological effect of it. I do not have problem with row machines, with ellipticals, with bikes, but to run without getting anywhere? Neither music, nor tv can help, I feel depressed afeter 15-20 minutes. Fortunately in South CA I can run outside on 350 days/year, but when I travel, sometimes I am limited to treadmills.:-((((

Last edited by Galadriell : Wed, Jan-28-04 at 09:32.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 13:48

BF:

Quote:
The psychological effect of it. I do not have problem with row machines, with ellipticals, with bikes, but to run without getting anywhere?

My problem is I am not coordinated enough.....if I don't watch my feet I will start running to the right and fall off of it
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 00:00

Plan: Atkins ?
Stats: 216/170/158 Male 72 inches
BF:24.1/12.7/9
Progress: 79%

The treadmill can actually be more challenging. For 60 minute runs, they "force" you to go at a specific speed. On the street you can subtly adjust your speed to go slower. I know when I run 7 min miles on the track vs. the equivalent on the treamill (8.6 miles/hr setting) I find the treadmill more challenging.
Just my $.02
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 01:06
Hail to the King

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 394/219/200 Male 5' 11''
BF:Big Time
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldini10
The treadmill can actually be more challenging. For 60 minute runs, they "force" you to go at a specific speed. On the street you can subtly adjust your speed to go slower.

Absolutely.....

I hit the treadmill 4 times a week. I walk 3 miles a day with a speed of 3.2 and an incline of 4. There is no way I would be able to do that on the street. It's to easy to allow your speed to fluctuate. Even if there are times when I get tired and I let the machine "pull me" it's still forcing me to move. If I were on the street and I got tired I would just end up slowing my pace.

anyway just my .02 cents as well.

Jim
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 03:49

BF:

I agree that the treadmill in a sense "forces" you to keep a pace up until you finally can't do it and turn it off. However, if you ran 60 straight minutes on a treadmill at 5.5 MPH you would find it easier than running 5.5 MPH for 60 straight minutes on a road(if there was a way to "make" you keep that pace on the road).