Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 06:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/246/175 Female 65"
BF:??/47%/35%
Progress: 20%
Default Starch Blockers

I recall reading someone's thread about eating starch blockers on vacation and not gaining any weight......anyone had experience with these? I'll be going to the Caribbean soon and would love to be able to have my favorite pina coladas and strawberry daiquiris in the afternoon.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 07:15
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Many starch blockers are just that. They block starch, not sugars.

You could try a sugar blocker and give it a go, but be warned alot of people report it works by giving you alot of gas and diareah. Not a good way to spend time on a beach.

There is a brand of splenda sweetened daiquiris mix. Whaty ou could do is see if you brought your own bottle, if many establishments would use it to mix for you. Explain you can't have sugar (You don't have to lie and say diabeties if you don't want, let them draw thier own conclusions) and ask if they would please use that instead. If you know what hotel, or if your taking a cruise what cruise line, you could possibly call or write ahead explaining you can't have sugar and asking they get the sugar free mixer for you while on your stay. If you do your own research and give them a brand name and where it can be purchased that may help. Many hotels are more then willing to go out of thier way to meet the diatary restrictions of guests. Repeat customers and good reviews by word of mouth are a great business booster.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 09:05

Stats: 193/170/130 Female 61 inches
BF:BMI 32
Progress: 37%

I did some research on the Starch Blockers before I went on Atkins. They are not healthy at all. It burns me up that the government wants to regulate our vitamins, but they let these things on the market.
First of all, they do work on basis of simply getting rid of what you eat. "They give you the poops".
Second, they not only rid your body of starch but also vitamins and minerals that you really need to be healthy.
I know you were only thinking of a short term usage but the "poops" on vacation doesn't sound very fun to me.
You've worked so hard to loose. Stay on your plan and think of those afternoon drinks as a way of life you USE to have. There just isn't any product you can take that will allow you to eat or drink anything you want and not gain weight.
If there was, I want stock!!!!!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 09:19
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

My advice would be to avoid the icy drinks, and stay on track with rum and diet cokes or something similar. I've heard nothing but bad things about the blockers, and wouldn't want to spend my whole vacation in the loo.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 09:45

Stats: 264/246/175 Female 65"
BF:??/47%/35%
Progress: 20%

Thanks for the advice....I'll have to give this some thought. Maybe I'll need to go with the Low Carb beer!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 12:45

Stats: 238/234/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 6%

mmmmmmmmmmm beer...... haven't had one for a couple of weeks and it sounds really good! L
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 13:17

Stats: 191/177/148 Female 5ft. 6.5 inches
BF:40.40%/38.10/?
Progress: 33%

Tamp_girl.
I was the one who went on a holiday for 2 weeks, and only gained 2 lbs.
I took 2 "starch stoppers" before I hit the buffet. I drank strawberry margaritas,etc. and inspite of what others say - they really did work for me. I did not have any side affects. They blocked sweets + starches for me. My daughter is a biochemist, and she said all starches(carbs) break down into sugar before they are digested. So- it blocks all carbs the same way. All I can say, is I proved it worked for me. It is made from a part of the white kidney bean, not a chemical, but I didn't get gas, or anything, and I'm usually sensitive to these things.