Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 20:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 233/226/205 Male 6' 2"
BF:
Progress:
Default Protein powder in what drink?

I am presently drinking my lunch at my desk and was mixing the PP with skimmed milk. I noticed that milk in general is high in carbs. I would be interested in what goes well with the strawberry flavor that I am presently consuming. I thought of crystal lite or diet Pepsi but thought maybe some of you might know some suitable lo-carb natural liquid other than water. Started at 233 on New Year's, presently 226 and headed for 205.
Will celebrate by spring skiing in Utah.
Curt
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 21:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

water with a dash of heavy cream.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 21:29

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

there is a low carb milk called carb countdown you might try
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 08:30

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Ctbart, I don't know what kind of 'mixing equipment' you have at work, but a couple things come to mind--

If you're making your protein drink with a spoon and a glass, and that's as high tech as you can manage at work, then try:

--(if you will use soy milk) WestSoy vanilla flavored unsweetened soymilk, or half soymilk and half water. In addition to adding an extra hit of protein, unsweetened soymilk is only around 1-3g carbs per cup--depending on brand--and you'll get a really thick strawberry shake!
--cold diet V8 splash, sweetened with Splenda (3g carbs per 8 oz.) and a shot of half and half. Half and half has the same number of carbs per ounce as heavy cream, but is easier to mix with a spoon. If you use the Tropical Blend (orange) flavor, you'll get an orange-berry shake.

If you've got access to electricity and a sink at work, or can bring a frozen shake from home for lunch, you might invest in a Braun stick blender. For the money (usually around $15-20 U.S.), this is one of the most dependable and effective stick blenders I've ever used. It breaks down for storage into two pieces about 7 inches long, and the sections fit into the 500ml/16oz mixing cup--so the whole thing fits nicely into one section of my desk drawer. This blender is strong enough to make your shake out of things like plain kefir (cultured milk, 14g protein and 8g carbs per cup), plain yogurt, frozen berries, etc.

For a kefir strawberry shake, I'd use 4 oz. kefir, 1-2 oz. half and half, your protein power, 6-8oz. cold water and a couple of frozen stawberries.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Gaelen : Sun, Jan-18-04 at 08:32.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 12:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/140/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Thumbs up Protein Powder Drinks

Hood's Carb Countdown milk is GREAT!!! Even comes in chocolate. I get mine at WalMart. It comes in full fat, lowfat, and nofat. Only about 4 carbs. I use the Met Rx protein powder and mix up 2-3 days worth in my blender. Then pour into individual bottles..ready to drink at home or on the go!

Last edited by katlynweb : Sun, Jan-18-04 at 12:36.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 12:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 275/261/200 Male 5-8.5
BF:
Progress: 19%

I dont know if this pertains to the subject but I live on veryfines FRUIT2O. The orange flaver taste just like tang. I love this stuff because its spring water and sweet without sugar ( uses splenda ). I drink this when I have a sweet craving and it does the job.