Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 17:24
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default zucchini

I can't find my CAD book atm, but I could of sworn zucchini was on the CM veggie list. Looking at CALP it's listed as a high carb item.

I don't see how it could be high carb as fitday has an entire large succhini as barely any calories or carbs. I would like to keep them as a CM option as I love zucchini hasbrowns in the morning when I have time to make them.

Should I keep them CM, or save them for RM? I can't see them having more then 4 total carbs per serving.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 17:34

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%

I sure wish I had my CAD book. I gave it to a friend cuz I loved this WOE so much and she moved. My CALP book isn't here yet...but I have always considered Zuchinni a lc veggie...I have eaten since reading CAD so I think it was in there. I remember Broccoli wasn't.

How do you make your "hashbrowns" That sounds wonderful.

I made a stirfry tonight out of zuchi, yell. squash, and gr. beans. Was very good.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 18:09

Plan: low- to medium-carb
Stats: 114/105/105 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ladybelle, if this helps, I have "The Complete Book of Food Counts" by Corinne T. Netzer, which lists "raw zucchini (with skin)," a 1/2 cup serving, chopped or sliced, as having 8-9 calories and 1.6 carbs (sliced) or 1.8 (chopped) carbs per 1/2 cup. "Boiled" zucchini, drained, is 14 calories and 3.5 carbs per 1/2 cup, whicle mashed is 19 calories and 4.7 carbs per 1/2 cup.

Since you know the situation in general with CAD, this may help you decide if zucchini is acceptable in the CM veggie category.

Best, Sona
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 18:27
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Hi LadyBelle,

I just checked my copy of CAD, and zucchini is definitely listed as a complementary food.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 20:17

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 233/192/145 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 47%

The Heller's changed a few things since they wrote the first version of CAD. It use to be Ok to have Zucchini, but in the CALP book they changed it and found that it could trigger some people. I use to eat it when I first started CAD because it showed it as OK. I didn't have any cravings, nor did it stall my weight. My advice would be to go ahead and have it and if it seems like you have cravings afterward, then you know you probably should not have it, or if you find you are not loosing weight then stop eating it. They did the same thing with Broccoli.

Hope this helps.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 00:08
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

I remember broccoli not being there. I think I'll go ahead and stick to it though as I follow CAD and am still just reading the CALP, thanks guys.

For the hashbrowns I cut off the end, then shred it. Now I use a food processor, before I would just use a cheese grater with large erm, blades? (it had two sides, one would grate course the other fine, I would use the course grate.)

I then press the moisture out as best I can. I tried pressing it between books, but that takes a while. The best method is I wrap it in paper towles, then in a bath town, roll it up, and sit on it for a few minutes. Sounds odd but works Then just fry in a non stick skillet, or in a very slight spray of oil. Too much oil and the zucchini absorbes the oil back in and won't brown.

I'll typicaly have runny eggs over this since I can't have toast anymore
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 11:04

Plan: low- to medium-carb
Stats: 114/105/105 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:

LadyBelle, do you think the recipe would work if the zucchini shreds were set out on a (Pam sprayed) cookie sheet and left in an oven with the door open at about 200 or 250 degrees to partially dry out for, say, about an hour? Not to fully dry, as when making zucchini chips, but enough to take out all that extra moisture so that the oil would crisp them when they were pan fried? If that worked, I could then dry out enough zucchini for three or four different meals and store what I didn't use. Dried and partially dried veggies keep pretty well, I think, don't they?

What do you think?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 12:30
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

I'd say give it a try. I know frozen doesn't work to well, but dry may. I would worry about them getting to dry to where they are more like match sticks instead of hashbrowns, but I don't know if they would reach that state. They definetly owuldn't in an hour, I might give it more time then that though.

This could be something to experiment with when zucchinis come back in season. i played heck finding the ones I did find and there were more expencive then usual