Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 17:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 153/150/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%
Question Hiking without GORP?!

I've always been active outdoors -- hiking, kayaking, backpacking, camping, xc skiing -- and my traditional snack has always been GORP (M&Ms, raisins, peanuts, pretzels, Corn Chex). What is the LC equivalent? Whatever I come up with, I miss the old standby GORP. There's an element of nostalgia and tradition, not to mention that the stuff is just so good at delivering an energy boost.

I'd like to hear recipes for LC versions of GORP, and also other hiking & camping foods. So many of the old standby's are carb-laden -- especially when you're backpacking and weight is a factor, and there's no refrigeration.

I also have a problem with maintaining energy during exertion, and I've heard the same thing from several friends I've hiked or canoed with -- they said they tried Atkins but couldn't stick with it because they had no energy during exercise. Is this a common problem, and is there a solution?

I'm interested in this both for my own information and for a newspaper article. I write on outdoors subjects for The Associated Press. I'd like to interview some people who'd like to share their experiences in this area; you can contact me at mesch(at)ap-dot-org (that's my email address in spammer-thwarting form).

Mary Esch
Albany NY
(http://www.azcentral.com/ent/pop/ar...yakcraze21.html)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 11:39

Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

Yes I think it can be an issue if you are heavey into fitness and exercise. I'm not but I do use a treadmill and light weight routine and I notice it can be a challenge to lifting when carbs are very low but I have read many threads that indicate it's not critical to increase the carbs by very much and it certainly wouldn't be a reason not to low carb.....that, of course, would just be quiting something at the first sign of adversity rather than overcoming the problem.
Keep posting any info you come across as I'm sure others are interested in the answer to your questions.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 17:15

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

You can always use pre-measured powder - either protein powder or an LC-friendly meal replacement powder - esp. if you have some way to get your water really cold. I've found a strawberry-banana MRP that comes in at 21gPRO/10gCHO/2.5gFAT and is really tasty.

Otherwise jerky+nuts comes to mind as trail snacks. If you are burning alot of cals, I think you can also afford more carbs per day - so if you can't stand the LC cereals - go for chex or other regulars.

If long-cook oatmeal is too much time for breakfast (esp at altitude) - try oat bran - cooks in about 2 mins for 1 serving at sea level - and stir in lots of cinnamon and a good tasting vanilla or plain protein powder for a protein boost.

Also - if you are out for just a day (not extended packing) - hardboiled eggs or whites should hold up OK, esp. if it is cold out.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 21:55

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Chex are pretty high-glycemic. If it were me, I'd go for Fiber One, Kashi or some other lower glycemic cereal. I've also seen a few soy based trail mixes that are pretty low carb. With roasted soybeans and peanuts as a base, you could add things like dried blueberries, LC chocolate and some low-glycemic cereal to round it out.

There's also a decent selection of low-to-moderate carb energy bars out there. Many people who do intense exercise supplement their carbs either throughout the day or just before/after working out to avoid 'bonking' during their activities. It doesn't take a lot, btw. 40-50g of daily carbs for heavy cardio/lifting regimens or 30g of dextrose (Smarties or pressed powder candies, usually)and protein divided into before/after doses.

Cheers,

Friday
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 10:53
Registered Member

Plan: Mediterranean based
Stats: 205/190/140 Female 5'7"
BF:44/42/23
Default Gorp

I think you could easily modify your Gorp by replacing the Chex with something more slow release, like a whole-as-possible oat but low sugar granola (would not be too tough to make at home...most commerical granolas are sickeningly sweet).

However, you raise the point of liking Gorp because it is what you are used to when out hiking etc. It may be that your pleasant associations (Gorp = doing things I love) is making it tough to see alternatives. The beef jerky/nuts combo sounds great.

I am a huge fan of fitness bars, and there are lots out there to choose from, depending on what you find you want/need in them. Check the labels and see what serves your goals. There is a nice new one available in Canada at least called Perfect 10...a bit high carb but that may suit your activity level.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 06:13
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

I'v noticed after years of low carb that my body actually performs much better while hiking strenuously when I'm eating very low carb. I also feel that coconut oil makes a difference.

In Germany (generally the only times I do hikes longer than 3 hours) my typical trail food is a packet of cured sausages and L-Carnitine chewables...and if it's cool enough some kiri cheese. I can't get those things here though.

It seems there are two factors.. the attatchment to GORP and needing energy. Given time, you body will adjust to low carb and it will work very well for things like hiking, I love it because there is no initial "rough" period. It used to be that the first 20-50 mins of hiking were very hard until my body "kicked in" somehow and started to work. Now it works from the beginning, although it still feels like I gain energy/momentum as the hike progresses. I don't feel fatigued or the need to eat. 2 sausages the size of my middle finger will do it for a 5-6 hour strenuous hike. (take 1/2 hour for a break at a summit) Fat is at least as important as protein for sports like hiking, it is a better fuel. I think when you're coming up with a food for performance, the most importnat thing is the fat/protein ratios - which is why I would have nuts along with the jerky - rather than plain jerky, or pemmican or something.

As for the taste - if you are more concerned with taste than they body's quickest adaptation to low carb, then just go with higher carb alternatives (to sausage)

Make your own granola by baking oats moistened with butter and water, or maybe low carb maple syrup - sweetened w/ low carb brown sugar, add cinnamon etc. Or use Kashi as an alternative.
Add dried blueberries and some chopped low carb chocolate. It's a lot more expensive - but may have similar taste and texture to GORP.

Honestly, my best performance was hiking after a breakfast that was 1 dried sausage, and a drink: hot water, stevia, cocoa, a little cream and 2 tbs coconut oil. Not satisfying...but effective. Sadly it got to the point last time we were on a hiking trip I had to start avoiding breakfast at the bed and breakfasts we stayed a because it would make my hiking miserable to have delicious crunchy buns and musli and yogurt.

Physically it makes sense - fat is the most abundant fuel source, but in a lot of people (not low carb) it is difficult to reach. During periods of sustained exercise either you have to wait and suffer until you begin to burn fat...or you can keep feeding it sugar, and it will burn a mixture of both. If your body readily and easily burns fat, there should be a smooth transition between food fuel, and bodyfat fuel - you don't run out, you don't hit low points. At least that is what I THINK, based on personal experience.

Something I've made that tastes really good is:

you have to figure out the ratios for yourself because I didn't measure.

-a huge blob of natural crunchy peanut butter
-chopped or ground almonds
-plain whey protein (bought from allthewhey dot com, very cheap and good quality)
-splenda to sweeten
-variations: add coconut oil, or butter or some other fatty thing or if you have a fav. nut. For more carbs add some low carb chocolate, or something else that would taste good w/ peanut butter.

mix it all up until very stiff and dry, and form into bars, or balls. It makes a delicious protein bar - this is very high calorie! Many people (non low carbers) have commented on how good this tastes.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 18:42
Registered Member

Stats: 193/180.5/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Meg_S Thank you so much for that recipe. I am starting to do a lot of walking and was wondering what I would do for energy. Anything that starts out with a big blob of peanut butter has to be good. Also the explanation of the needed extra fat will help me out too.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 18:47

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

<----Pretty active Maine hiker here....

In my experience the actual hike is easier without the GORP. You avoid the blood sugar crash altogether by eating low carb. Just be sure to bring lots and lots of LC snacks with you like Cheese and Jerky. Last year I even munched on all natural wild blueberries on the way to the peak. I did find that I needed a little more water last year. It good to bring extra anyhow.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 18:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Isn't the whole idea behind GORP replacing the carbs (glucose) you burn off exercising? So as your glucose levels drop, you feel tired and lack energy. So you gotta make more glucose by eating some starchy/sugary stuff. With LC you should be burning stored fat rather than blood glucose so you really shouldn't be having the energy drops you'd have if you were eating a typical high-carb diet (remember carb loading??? Tee hee).
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 19:13

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%

I agree with Meg, fat and protein are the way to go, once you adjust. Back in high carb hiking days, had to dive into the dried fruit every 45 minutes or so. Silly. Now, like her, can go miles and miles on a meal. But it does take time to convert to a mostly fatburning metabolism, you have to be ruthless about the carbs, like induction level, for months. Bill
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 12:02
Registered Member

Plan: Mediterranean based
Stats: 205/190/140 Female 5'7"
BF:44/42/23
Default Hmmmmm

I am quite skeptical that there is any advantage to religiously low carb hiking. If your energy is flagging, eat a well rounded snack, insofar as possible keeping the glycemic index low (although if you are utterly bagged, then a high GI food is probably going to help). Go by what makes you feel good. It goes back to your rationale for low carbing...is eating gorp on a big hike going to have negative consequences?

And coconut oil is still soundly on the bad fat list, is it not? Slather on your externals, not internals!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 12:26
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

I think you'll find that coconut oil being a "bad" fat is quite outdated information. There is a lot of information here on the forums about coconut oil, as well as on the internet. It has a bad reputation because it is saturated.... and to high carb low fat diets - saturated is bad. Coconut oil is also an MCT though and has definite advantages!! It is quite healthy and the most stable thing to cook with. MCTs have different properties than others like butter or olive oil in that the body processes them differently.

Here is a link to an article from a reputable source.
http://www.mercola.com/2001/mar/24/coconut_oil.htm

The idea behing "religious" low carb hiking has more to do with having more energy and stamina than ever before than with weight loss. Why eat a "rounded" snack when I know it will adversely affect my performance? The advantage lies in how your body feels and works. It's like saying there is no advantage to drinking a lot of water during hot weather. Of course there is. You don't need to, but you work and feel better.

If someone is interested in a low carb lifestyle, it makes more sense to incorperate it into their active life and allow diet and exercise to complement each other rather than having the way you must eat to hike sabotage what you should be eating for fat loss or other health benefits.

Meg

Last edited by Meg_S : Fri, Jan-23-04 at 12:27.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 22:47

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, my name is Eva, and I am a “religious LC" runner.

I do not think everybody should follow this religion, but many of us can see the advantage of it.

The reason the same as for Meg – quote: from her: “The idea behind "religious" low carb hiking has more to do with having more energy and stamina than ever before than with weight loss. Why eat a "rounded" snack when I know it will adversely affect my performance? The advantage lies in how your body feels and works. “

I have just finished my third half Marthon with an under 2 hours time with only 20 carbs intake. Without bonking, loosing energy. I was so energized, that at mile 10 I could speed up – finishing with a 3 mile sprint.

Nancy has a very good point – quote: “With LC you should be burning stored fat rather than blood glucose so you really shouldn't be having the energy drops you'd have if you were eating a typical high-carb diet (remember carb loading??? Tee hee).”

And I agree with alaskaman, you need time and discipline to teach your body. I was lucky, had more than enough time. As a beginner runner my legs were sensitive, it took 3 months before I could run 30 min. I always started to run with empty stomach. As my distance increased, my body step by step learned not only to use fat as fuel, but to start this burning earlier and earlier.

My main activity is running, but every other month I have a hike. My question for the hikers. Is high altitude (over 8000) makes any difference? Or the same food you recommended apply there too?

Last edited by Galadriell : Sat, Jan-24-04 at 17:18.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 22:21

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 168/168/155 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Eva,
Congrats on your success. RE: you question about hiking at altitude greater than 8000 ft. I believe at altitude your body uses more energy to provide oxygen to the major muscle groups, stay warm and maintain energy. I tend to eat more calories at altitude but I'm usually wearing a pack and hiking for 10-12 hours a day (25 miles). I do like the idea of a big breakfast with plenty of fat and then to eat about 200 calories an hour mostly of Cliff Shot or Hammer gel. I use this to day hike Mt Whitney, a Whitney double, a fastpack of the John Muir Trail or any ultra marathon at altitude.
I also believe that the shorter event such as a 1/2 marathon can be run on little or no carbs, it depends on what you ate the night before. For me any event greater than 15 miles or 4 hours requires carbs as my primary food source but I do add fat and some protein to prevent stomach upset.
I have seen a few people who can exist on very little food/carbs but they seem to move very slowly and do not hike a lot of miles in one day.
Good luck to you and maybe I'll see you at the Rock 7 Roll, I'm pacing two 60+ year old who are walk/jogging their first marathon!
Maureen