Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 18:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/132/125 Female 5
BF:
Progress:
Default How do I slow down Ketosis?

I know this is not something you usually have asked here, but I am having an awful time slowing down my weight loss. I have been adding back carbs, but it seems like I can't stop the weight loss. I have actually reached my goal weight and can not figure out what to do. Everyone is starting to make comments about how I am falling off to nothing. They are constantly saying, "You aren't TRYING to lose anymore are you?" With my answer always being, "No, I am trying to maintain." The problem is, it is still falling off. Please help! Is there something I could try that will help me stall. I have tried everything except adding back the "bad carbs" such as corn and potatoes. Eating SF candies doesn't even seem to work. Please help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 18:35

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

How many carbs are you consuming per day? What does your daily menu look like? Keep raising them by 10 carbs until you find a spot where you start to gain. Then you know to back off a little bit.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 18:51
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkblue
I have tried everything except adding back the "bad carbs" such as corn and potatoes. Eating SF candies doesn't even seem to work. Please help!

Hi hkblue - if you truly want to slow your weight loss, then maybe you should look more closely at the carbs you DO add back in - corn and potatoes are not necessarily BAD carbs, they are a lot better than sugar, white flour baked goods. Both corn and potatoes are natural, have vitamins, and fibre. Have you tried adding in whole grains, legumes and other starchier vegetables?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 18:54
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Also, have you been adding in more fruits and veggies? Also what are your claories like for the day? If you are eating way too few calories to support your needs, then you may be starving yourself.

Stay away from SF candies or other procesed foods. Instead for a snack have WASA or other multi grain crackers with peanut butter. Snack on some nuts. Have whole milk yogurt, and cottage cheese.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 19:01
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%

If your stats are correct, and you are really only five feet tall (as I am), then I have to say I wish I had your problem! Your stats do not reflect the fact that you say you have reached your goal, so perhaps you have not updated them?

We could probably be of more help if you would post what you are eating.

Kay
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 19:15
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

My daily carb count usually varies from day to day. I must admit, I have not been eating anything starchy or with flour, such as crackers or anything like that just because I didn't want to reverse my weight loss. I think I will try the crackers and peanut butter. I eat ALOT of nuts. My boss is always buying Almonds for us, so I am constantly eating nuts.

Today for breakfast I ate 2 boiled eggs. Breakfast isn't my favorite meal, so I have to force something down. Sometimes I have an Advantage bar or an omlete, but today I had boiled eggs.
Lunch was an Angus beef burger from Red Lobster with lettuce, Tomatoes, and Pickles. I also had a little bowl of cole slow. I know that was probably a no no because of sugars, but I could find anything else to eat that I could choose from.
Supper was a Tuna Sandwich with Low carb bread. 10 carbs. And some green beans.
I had about 2 cups of almonds all day long.

I'm sorry I haven't updated my stats. I went to the Doctor on Monday and I weighed 124lbs. My goal weight was 125 and I really don't want to lose anymore.

Thank you for the comments. I guess maybe I haven't been eating as much as I thought I had. Sometimes I feel like I have way too many carbs in a day, but today wasn't too many. I just an not into all those "weird" vegetables.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 19:57

BF:

You are not eating enough fruits and veggies. Add in some melon, strawberries, or even an apple. Add some broccoli, a salad or some more veggies at dinner.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 20:05

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Sweet potatoes or yams, lentils, chili beans or other legumes, whole grain cereals and breads. You are now at Maintenance so you can eat practically anything you want to.

Keep sugar and processed foods as "occasional things".
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 20:11
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I actually do eat alot of the things you all mentioned. Yesterday I had some strawberries and a huge salad. We went to pizza hut, so I scraped the pizza topping off and ate that. I eat Apples and broccoli with cheese also. I must say, I do not eat the sweet potatoes because I can not stomach them. I have no clue how to even cook a lentil to make it taste good.
I haven't tried whole grain cereals because I don't like soy milk. What else can I use in my cereals? I have read the book, and I thought it said milk is too high in carbs. Am I wrong?
I do eat the breads. I just eat my low carb bread. I am more comfortable eating that.
As far as the calories, I don't know how many calories I eat. I haven't counted calories at all. All I have counted were the carbs. Sorry
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 20:16

BF:

Quote:
I haven't tried whole grain cereals because I don't like soy milk. What else can I use in my cereals? I have read the book, and I thought it said milk is too high in carbs. Am I wrong?

A whole grain cereal with regular milk will not hurt you. You need to find your carb level where you stop losing and maintain weight. The only way to do that is to keep adding carbs until you have found it!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 20:17
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%

No need to eat "weird veggies", though I happen to like many of them.Your recently posted stats make more sense though I doubt you are in danger of wasting away if you lose a couple more pounds. Depends on your body type, I guess.

Maybe try some navel orange slices with your meals? Or the odd spoonful of nut butter, (almond, cashew or macadamia ) without the crackers. Or with the crackers if that's what works for you. Don't know where you live, but Atkins Endulge chocolate peanut butter swirl ice cream is pretty fine stuff.

I'm glad to hear that you have been to a doc and are following that advice.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 20:39
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

How to make "weird" taste good - LOL - I am an expert on this!!!!!! Cook up some dry beans - kidney, black, garbonzo, - add some more beans (hey I am an ex beiner chick) - fresh ones this time - yellow, green, - chop up a little onion and garlic - mix a little oil and vinegar - throw it all together and call it bean salad. Lentils - throw some in a soup - some broth in a pot - add the lentils and cook till they meld to mush - add some more veggies and some chicken if you like - there ya go a soup. If you have potatoes - eat the skins, you can even make mashed potatoes with the skins on - just tell everyone it's nouvelle cuisine.

Edit - you said you had no idea how to make a lentil taste good - in a soup you will not be able to pick out the lentil flavour from the other ingredients, they give a heartiness and a very subtle flavor - they are also a good protein source as well as fibre, and they are inexpensive.

Last edited by KoKo : Wed, Jan-14-04 at 20:42.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 20:48
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thank you all so much for the replies. I guess I have just been one of those people who has been scared to add certain things back in so soon.

Thanks KoKo for the "weird" recipe. It actually sounds great. I will have to try it.

Tarheel, I don't feel like I'm wasting away, but other people are making me feel that way. My husband just told me the other night that he was able to feel too much bone in certain areas (buttocks), and to an extent I have to agree with him. I have been exercising, but some areas seen to be losing more than others. I feel like I eat alot and it just seems like the weight keeps falling off. I was just concerned. I will try some of the tips everyone has given me and see if that helps. Thanks
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 21:41

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

Did you follow the steps of pre-maintenance and then maintenance? Do you have the book "Atkins for Life"?

Perhaps the experts at the Atkins Center may be better able to assist you. Why don't you email them and ask them? www.atkinscenter.com
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 15:40

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%

hkblue dont you think you should be eating more food and more carbs. if you have reached your goal why are you staying at or below induction levels for carb intake???

start increasing your carbs like the others said by 10 grams a day every week . you need to find your ccl. dont starve yourself in the paranoia that the weight might return. it comes off again just as easily as it did the first time.