Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 14:37

Plan: N/A
Stats: 187/187/180 Male 5 "10 1/2
BF:
Progress:
Default Couple of questions

I recently registered to these forums because I am highly interested in the prospects of some of the dieting and plans listed on these forums. However, I am only mildly educated in the field having only spent a couple hours over two or three days reading these forums and browsing other related websites like the atkins homepage.

Before I ask anything, let me give you some background. Currently I am in training to be a runningback worthy of a division I college. I am nearly 17 years of age (bout a month off). I am around 187 lbs and stand at around 5 "10 1/2. Next year is to be my senior year in high school and quite possibly the most important from an athletic standpoint because that is when I am going to get noticed. I've been in a relatively steady training routine for over 2 months now during the off season involving a mixture of cardio workouts and weight lifting at my local 24 hour fitness gym. On a typical week, this is what I will do.

Monday: plyometrics w/ legs, form running, wind sprints (50 min)
Tuesday: rest
Wednesy: Upper Body, rigorous resistance running on a low impact machine, abs/back (80 minutes)
Thursday: rest
Friday: Leg lift (squats, lunges etc..), rigorous resistance running on a low impact machine, abs/back (80-90 minutes)
Saturday: rest
Sunday: shoulders/back/arms lift, rigorous resistance running on a low impact machine, abs/back (90 minutes)

I try to combine the plyometrics that are high impact and stressful on my legs with the ease of the elliptical machinery later in the week so that I dont hurt myself. Typically I will be running on the machine for 20 minutes pushing myself as much as hard as possible (90+ RPM at all times) to keep my endurance up. Aside from that I have a pretty decent lifting plan that I am gradually getting better with. Currently, I am not losing or gaining any weight whatsoever which I cannot explain or understand. When I work out I am very serious about it, I try my best not to cheat myself. If the thought of cheating or cutting corners crosses my mind, I typically do more to make amends.

I am currently wondering if doing something like trainerdan's CKD plan would work for me in order to help me optimize the amount of muscle I can possibly build over the next 5 months of training I have left and convert more of my fat to lean muscle mass. I do not want to become skinny or drop a whole ton of weight but rather comfortably maintain around where I'm at. My goals are to be fast and strong at the same time. I want to stay energetic, healthy, and most importantly safe.

Currently, I have no diet whatsoever and on some days I may eat 3 very healthy meals and on others I might just binge on fast food, chinese take-out, or whatever I can find lying around in the house. This saddens me greatly. When it comes to training, I am very disciplined. I have never missed a single day of training even throughout holiday season and on days like Christmas Eve I found time to train. My commitment to this process would be whole-hearted if I could find something that would work for me.

If anyone experienced in this field could give me some advice or ideas it would be much appreciated. I want to maximize the potential of my body before the season comes rolling around and I still have plenty of time to do it. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 14:59

Plan: TKD
Stats: 238/208/200 Male 6 feet
BF:16, 7.5, 4
Progress: 79%

Just by reading over what you submitted it seems to me that a more balanced diet would work better for you, your training, and your goals. With the amount of training you will be doing and your age Id suggest a plan like The Zone which is balanced between protein, healthy fats, and GOOD carbs...

In my opinion the CKD is best for an already lean person looking to make the leap to the next level of leaness while preserving muscle. Its not a diet for someone looking to increase performance as you are as it is more "looks" driven, ie bodyfat reducing.

I hope this makes sense, if you have any other specific questions let me know.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 01:14

BF:
Progress:

Do you know of any links or areas where I could find information regarding that? I always like to do a little research and see what I am getting into first. I currently know nothing about the zone diet.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 07:44

Id just goto www.drsears.com

This has a lot of information so you can browse here or go out and buy the book.

Basically when I do a zone type diet I shoot for 40 percent of calories from protein, 30 percent from carbs, and 30 percent from fat...this is a bit different then the rations Dr Sears gives but I like to have a bit more protein.

Hope this helps and best of luck.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 10:37

BF:
Progress:

Thanks a bunch man, I am going to give it a good luck.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 11:36

Best of luck...