Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 10:51

Plan: Modified Adkins
Stats: 285/279.5/210 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Am I overdoing it on veggies?

Hi all,

I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly... I've read that I can have 2-3 cups lettuce and one cup of green beans, which is what I've been doing. Generally lunch I'll have a small salad with some ham or pepperoni and ranch dressing, then dinner I'll have something meaty with generally 1/2 to 1 cup green beans.

Is this taking in too many carbs? I've been told by a couple of folks in here that most of your carbs should come from veggies, but I'm not sure if I'm overdoing it here or not.

Also, a good chunk of my meat intake is from processed meats - bacon, sausage, ham, etc. I don't have access to steaks or grilled chicken at work. Will this hender my weight loss too much?

And finally, while at the grocery store yesterday, I found Hood Carb Countdown milk, which has 3 carbs per cup. This is more then I'd like to have in one drink, but after tasting it, it's not bad.. and it settled my milk craving Here's a link -
http://www.hphood.com/products/prod...tail.asp?id=477

The milk tastes real creamy, almost like melted whiped cream but not as sweet. It did leave a weird aftertaste about 5-10 minutes after drinking it, but this could be because I haven't drank any milk in like 3 weeks.

ANyway, just wanted other folks ideas on this. Take care, and thanks for any feedback.

Sam
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 11:25

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I don't think you are overdoing veggies at all as long as you stick to the veggies that are allowed. I eat 2-3 cups of salad AND veggies a day and am losing wonderfully - 3 lbs average a week now. Do you use FITDAY or something similar to chart your carbs? You should. I'd be more worried about carbs coming from other sources (if applicable - - like dairy and other stuff) than from the veggies and lettuce.

On the milk, I don't use so I can't comment. Is it soy milk? Hard for me to fathom cow's milk at only 3 carbs per cup.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 11:30

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

I have heard of this low carb milk on this forum before, but my Walmart doesn't have it. I sure would like to try it.

Continued success to you!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 12:08
"Princess" of Norway

Plan: Atkins / Lindberg
Stats: 187/169/143 Female 162 cm
BF:Yes
Progress: 41%

You're NOT overdoing the veggies !!! It's very hard to overeat on vegs ! What you could to is try to vary the vegs a bit, try broccoli, brussel sprouts, faux mashed potatoes (mashed cauliflower), turnips.....look at the list in your book. Also remember that the darker green the vegs or salad leafs are, the better ! Iceberg lettuce is light in color, contains a lot of water and very little nutrition. Try to stay away from it, there's so many other good salad types out there !! Romain, raddichio, mustard greens (rocket, ruccola) baby rhubarb leafs, beet greens- lots !! And it tastes a lot better !

Using Fitday is a good idea !
Also be careful with the processed meats, - if you don't know what it contains - read the label of possible (especially for sausages !!) Some bacon is also cured eith among other things, - SUGAR !

I think you're doing good and you found the right place to turn for support !!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 12:55
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

\leave the milk until after induction.
Acceptable foods
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html

Rules of Induciton
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-325810.html

I would cut down on the processed meats. Is there anyway to pack your own lunch, or partial lunch to work? Could you run to a deli and get rotissery chicken or a salad? If it is served by work, could you find out how it is ordered and talk to who ever is handling diatary?

For the veggies, no keep those up. Carbs from veggies are good. Remember too you are allowed far more veggies then just green beans. The only place you might want to watch carbs is from the processed meats. Many of those contain sugars, some more then others.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 13:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/160/143 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 26%

It does not say "2 cups of SALAD", it says "2 cups of salad VEGETABELS" which is everything on the first list.

Lettuce is the least nutritional of the veggies on that list so eat some of the others.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 14:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

As for the Milk, when I missed it in the early days, I'd put 2 OZ. of cream in a tall glass, then fill it up with ice cold water, you can put just a touch of splenda in if you have to. I now drink soy Milk at 2 carbs per cup.

I agree the processed meats should be kept to a limit, not your main source, try working on preparing extras a dinner for your lunch. :>)
Kathy