Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 14:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/246/175 Female 65"
BF:??/47%/35%
Progress: 20%
Default Is this the right diet for me?

Hi guys - Perhaps I shouldn't bring this up here since I know what a committed group of people are on this forum but, quite honestly, I'm beginning to wonder if this WOE is the right one for me.
I'm a little depressed that I've only lost 16 pounds in 13 weeks.........ok, 2 of those weeks were wasted (one week for a holiday "blow-out" and the next week to lose all that I had gained). This seems like very slow progress to me. And, no, I do not notice a change in my clothes so I'm not gaining muscle and losing fat.
I have been a yo yo dieter most of my life so I know I can lose and I have lost so much more than this when on other diet regimens for this length of time.
I just don't know what to do..........if I change all of a sudden to low fat or low calorie diet, how will my body react?
Help..help....help!!!!
I'm desparate to lose the weight but am not feeling like I'm being rewarded on this WOE.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 15:03
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

There are other low-carb plans out there. Deciding Atkins isn't for you isn't a crime, but what going back to low-fat, low-cal will do to your body IS...IMHO.

Actually, I'm impressed with your loss, considering you went "off" a couple of times!

I switched from Atkins to the Carb Addicts Diet, and have started losing again. You may want to give Atkins a little more time though, since the yo-yo-ing has injured your metabolism to the point that it may well take you longer to lose..your body has to get used to the fact you're no longer starving it....

My opinion is that you should give it a little more time before you make any change.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 15:18

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

With all of the stops and starts, the "planned cheat" at Christmas, the LC products and such, how can you say that "you don't think Atkins is for you", when you haven't BEEN FOLLOWING Atkins for any consistent length of time?

Do yourself a favor. Try a CLEAN induction. And when I say CLEAN I mean NO products, NO store-bought bars, shakes, LC candy, s/f cookies or treats. Stick to induction rules. Meat, VEGGIES, eggs, cheese. LOTS of water, NO caffeine.

Two weeks. What are TWO WEEKS, compared to the rest of your life?

But most importantly, BELIEVE THAT IT'S GOING TO WORK. Ketosis WILL kick in. You WILL kick the cravings. You simply HAVE to believe in it, or it won't work.

No plan will EVER work for you, if you don't believe in it.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 15:24
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

I'm with OhGal! How can you say that "you don't think Atkins is for you", when you haven't been "legal on Atkins?

On Induction I only lost two pounds and I was legal. If I had given up after the first 13 weeks I would have missed out on alot.

Commit to it 100% for 6 months--no cheating and see what happens. Good luck.

red
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 16:20

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Tampa_girl...

Okay...you've lost 16 pounds in 11 weeks (subtracting the two that were "wasted"). How fast exactly did you expect that you were going to lose? On average, you are losing almost a pound and a half a week; pretty respectable IMO. I know DANDR has examples of people losing large amounts of weight in short periods of time, but you have to realize that these people are really more the exception than the rule. For most of us, it just doesn't happen that way.
Let me ask something. When you were gaining weight, did you gain it at a rate of more than 1.5 pounds per week? No? Then you shouldn't expect to take it off at that rate, either. Most of us didn't gain our weight overnight or even over a period of a few months to a year. It's not realistic to expect to lose it that fast, either. I figure that it took me nearly 40 years to get as overweight as I was. If it takes me 4 years to take it off, that means I've lost it 10 times faster than I gained it. I can live with that. Weight loss of 1-2 pounds a week is considered a good rate of loss for any weight loss program; the nice thing about low carb is that you can realistically expect that without having to go around starving all the time.
Whether or not this is the right plan for you only you can decide, but I honestly don't think that you can achieve faster weight loss on high carb/low fat than you are now and your hunger levels will likely be quite a bit higher making it that much harder to stick with it long enough to reach your weight loss goal.

Quote:
I have been a yo yo dieter most of my life

While your progress thus far couldn't be considered "slow" by any definition I'm aware of, yo-yoing will make it harder to take off the weight with each successive attempt and is likely the reason why your weight loss is slower this time around even on low carb than it has been in the past. Your body is remembering your past attempts to starve it and is just waiting you out. The only way to reassure your body that you're not starving it again is to make sure that you eat at least enough calories to sustain your basal metabolic rate (BMR) and be patient.