Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 12:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/186/120 Female 5'2" Inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Why is it?

I have noticed since being on this WOE that the food that is GOOD for you is the MOST EXPENSIVE. I would think that the things that are easier to obtain, such as meat (cut the cow/fish/pluck the feathers) and vegetables (wash them off) that they would be LESS expensive. I am in SHOCK at how much the meat and vegetables are (maybe just here in Georgia.) Even the LC food is EXPENSIVE. I think that it is a conspiracy in order to keep us fat and continually buying since LCing makes you ultimately eat less and buy less!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 13:00

Plan: Atkins Induction Forever.
Stats: 315/310/240 Male 5'11
BF:Way too much
Progress: 7%

Yes maam this WOL can be pricey. Especially with the meats and treats. But the benefits outweigh cost. At least to me .

david
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 13:15

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

Actually, I've found my food spending has stayed the same, and may actually be LOWER. I don't:

1. Go out for lunch anymore (bringing my own food to work everyday).
2. Eat any high-carb junkfood
3. Eat any LOW-CARB junkfood
4. Buy any more pre-packaged mixes or frozen mini-meals (usually I'd eat about 2 or those in one sitting!)

I've also been buying my beef from a local butcher, which is pricier, but as soon as I get a few more dollars saved, I'm buying a chest freezer to buy a side of beef from them (which works out to about $.90/lb for a 300lb side).
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 15:20

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 283/162/165 Female 5ft6
BF:
Progress: 103%

I can't believe how much chicken costs these days! I haven't noticed a real increase in beef prices but chicken has doubled over the past couple of years!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 15:47

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 255/239/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 15%

It is high but I seem to come out even. I do buy more meat now but I also have more leftover so I don't have to eat out at lunch anymore. Since I buy more complete meals we cook everynight instead of ordering pizza or grabbing a burger. So You are right meat and fresh veggies are high but I seem to be staying around the same budget when I weigh everything. I am the only low carber in my family so that might have something to do with it.......
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 15:51

Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

One of the Grocery stores here just had a Truckload meat sale. THey had like 30# of CHicken Leg Quarters for $9.88. And 12# Sausage in 1# pkgs for $11.88.
They had some other nice meat items too. So I really stocked my freezer up.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 12:20

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 283/162/165 Female 5ft6
BF:
Progress: 103%

Wow Mary! That sounds like a lot of meat for not a lot of money! I would probably do better if I could go to Sam's or somewhere like that. The closest one is 2 hours away but I could take coolers and load up my freezer. I may have to plan a trip!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 19:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%

you know, i live in tulsa and we have what is called an angel food ministry. mom and i go because even though we definitly aren't poor, money is tight what with my dad dying and me in school. they don't care how poor or rich you are; they're just interested in helping people save money. anyway, for months we have had our refridgerator stocked with name brand meats; stake, etc., and for twenty dollars for one box, and something like fifteen dollars if you want extra meat. the husband ownes grocery stores and the exess food goes to this, so it's name brand. you all might want to look into something like that in your area if you need to. like i said, they don't care how much money you have; last time i was there, a woman in her mercedes was driving up. hey, the way i see it, with the economy the way it is now, we all need the help we can get. hope this helps someone! we still haven't gone through all the meat we got two months ago that's in our freezer!! we're also going to help out another family that we know with this...it's been really, really great for us.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 21:25
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Also start sweet talking any hunters you know. An entire deer takes up far more then a freezer and you could get them to share. If they are the kind that love hunting, they may already have more then enough meat and throw an entire deer or elk in your direction

There are also programs through Ag classes and maybe 4h where you invest in a pig or cow. Basicaly you invest money when that animal is still a baby. You take the risk that it will turn out to be a decent weight and not die from desise before it grows to maturity. Then when the animal is old enough for slaughter, you get the meat in proportion to how much you invested. Let's say you went half with someone on a pig, in that case you would get half a hog, usually already bucherd and prepackaged.

Last edited by LadyBelle : Sat, Jan-10-04 at 21:27.