Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 13:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/258/175 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 19%
Talking My goofy neighbor.

My neighbor is a very nice lady but like most of the world is very ignorant about what Atkins really is and its impossible to discuss it with her, she thinks we eat steak and chase it down with bacon grease for every meal.

So I am going back on Atkins but instead of telling her its Atkins I have been telling her that I eat a mixture of protein and vegetables and she is estatic that I'm "not on that evil Atkins diet again" I tell her about what I ate for lunch etc. and she gives me the highest praise for eating so healthy.

By the way she is one of those ultra skinny never been overweight in their lives kind of people that lives to juice a carrot/spinach drink.

Its hilarious that I am doing the Atkins diet but just not calling it that in front of her and she is all for it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 14:44

Plan: Carb Cycle
Stats: 185/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 67%

You know its funny. The first reaction people have when they first start this diet, is:

WOW This is real food! real healthy food. Nothing like the stuff your neighbor has heard or said.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 15:22

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

I think you should fry up a few platefuls of bacon, sit on your front porch noshing away...........she'll freak! hahaha

Sometimes you just have to have a REALLY good sense of humor in all this ...............

LL
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 15:50

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Its hilarious that I am doing the Atkins diet but just not calling it that in front of her and she is all for it.

I had a similar experience with someone commenting on how healthy my lunch looked (chicken breast and a salad) when I was attending a lecture during which a buffet lunch was provided and asked me if I was following any specific diet. When I told her I was low carbing she went off on this huge lecture about how unhealthy it was until I pointed out to her how she had just been praising how healthy my lunch looked.
When she responded, "Oh, but you don't always eat like that, do you?", my reply was "No...usually my lunches and dinners have more veggies than this but since this is all that's available it will have to do today."
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 16:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

LOL! Great stories. So true though. People judge the diet by the stereotype.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 18:48
Registered Member

Plan: CAD or wire jaw shut?
Stats: 97/94.6/65 Female 168 cm
BF:
Progress: 8%

Or ppl go the opposite and are very supportive of you being on Atkins.
I was eating steak and salad at my nanas and my Uncle rushes up and says "Why are you breaking your diet". I said "I'm not". He says "You are not spose to have ANY vegetables on Atkins, they have carbs!"
I tried to explain to him induction, 20g carbs etc etc, but he was convinced that on Atkins you are not to have ANY veges *sigh*
There are just so many misconceptions out there.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 21:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279/247/180 Female 5' 4"
BF:Way/too/much
Progress: 32%

Great comebacks! When people ask me what I'm doing to lose weight I say "Atkins" and then quickly add "UNDER A DOCTOR'S CARE". I find if I don't say that I get "well, you need to be careful on that diet". Blah, blah, blah!

Alli