Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 04:26
Registered Member

Plan: Zone first, now just lowcarb my own way
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 166cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Need suggestions: which cookbook to buy for GF?

Here's the "requirements":

Mostly looking for "comfort foods" stuff, like cheese cakes et cetera. "Normal" food recipes not really needed that much, one can't really go wrong with meat+veggies+spices and sometimes +cream.

We live in Finland, so it would be nice if the book had conversion tables (cups? pounds? ounces? really, the metric system is much simpler )

It'd also be nice if every recipe wasn't filled with alternative sweeteners like sugar alcohols or artificial sweeteners. But it's not a big problem, we'll just try them with real sugar. I'm more watchful of refined starches, because those you can get like 100grams in a whiff, so looking for non-flour recipes carb-wise.

I understand Carpender's books are a big hit, but those are full fledged cookbooks I presume? Is the Eades Low Carb Comfort Foods (IIRC) book good? Any suggestions welcome.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 09:44
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Definetly get the 500 KLow Carb recipes by Dana Carpender.

Her cookbopoks don't use sugar alcohols, and almost all the ingredients can be found at grocery stores, no specialty ingredients. It is also one of the few cookbooks that doesn't focus on desserts. She has a dessert chapter, but also appatizers, soups, salads, pork, beef, poultry, cakes, cookies, beverages and so on.

What I bought my mother for xmas was a ste from Amazon.com I got Dana Carpender's "500 Low-Carb Recipes" as well as her smaller book "15-minute Low-Carb Recipes." I have both. I havn't really used the 15 min one, but the 500 one gets used constantly. Including index it is close to 500 pages, so I think that counts as a full fledge cookbook.

P.S. For mac and cheese, check out the tofu mac and cheese recipe on this forum. That stuff is so addicting I don't dare make it anymore or I want to eat the entire thing at once.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 10:11

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I use ground almonds or soya flour in place of flour for many recipes. Personally I have no problems using artificial sweeteners. It was sugar which made me fat in the first place not artificial sweeteners!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 10:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I have been really happy with "Low Carb Comfort Food." Don't think I've ever tried a recipe from it that I didn't like. I also like the "500 Low Carb Recipes" book but I haven't used it as much yet.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 13:02
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks all. Since the main mission in getting a cookbook is to help her make (us ) desserts for parties and so forth, and we are pretty stumped by not having any recipes for low carb desserts so she just whips up the "old stuff", I think I'll get the Comfort Food book.

PS. My aversion to artificial sweeteners stems from health issues, and sugar alcohols from umm, gaseous issues. Reading stuff on how things get marketing approval is sometimes downright scary, so I try to go with natural stuff. I think Stevia is unheard here in Finland still, so that is not an option...
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 14:00

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

When I was in Scotland last year, I found a low-carb cookbook that I've never seen in the States, and it has metric measures. It's called "Low-Carb Meals in Minutes" by Linda Gassenheimer. I haven't used it yet, but I do look at it once in a while and dream!

I also have the Eades' "Comfort Foods" cookbook and the Dana Carpender 500 recipes book, both of which are quite good.

Edited to add: Go to Amazon.com and do a search on low-carb cookbooks. Often you can actually see pages from the book, and usually the index, which helps a lot.

Last edited by BawdyWench : Sun, Dec-14-03 at 14:02.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 17:26
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Well placed an order on Amazon.uk for both the Eades' Comfort and Carpender's 500 Recipes. Delivery date was 22-25, heh, wonder if they'll make it by Christmas.

Thanks for the feedback all.