Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 14:54

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default BFL/Low Carb Question????

I have been reading through all of the threads. I have done BFL and LC before, but never together. . I know that I will require the carbs before working out, or I will not have the energy. So could someone please explain the pre/post workout meal regime. I see that most use shakes, I don't have a problem with that. But I see that the pre and post workout shakes are slightly different. What is different and why???

Thank you sooooooooooooo much!

Tam
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 16:38
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Progress: 100%

Hi

I usually have a some extra carbs with my pre-workout meal, maybe some yam or a slice of whole grain bread. It just looks like a regular BFL meal. Post workout I often have a myoplex shake. I do this just for the sake of convienience. I don't think shakes are necessary at all if you can prepare enough meals each day.

I believe that some people try to have some carbs that are higher on the glycemic index in their post workout meal. It's supposed to help move nutrients to the muscles when they need it most.

Arnie
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 16:44
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Alot of people for thier after workout meal will have a shake with carbs and protien, but no fat or fiber. They will also take thier suppliments at this time.

The reasoning behind this is you need the protien to repair the muscles. Fat and fiber slow the absorbtion of food, and minimize insulin reaction. By having carbs with no fat or fiber you instead cause an insulin reaction as well as having the meal digest and push to muscles extreamly fast. This is also why many have a shake at that time, it is very quickly processed by the body.

Premeal is probably an individual thing. Most like to have something for extra energy, though not everyone has carbs for it.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 10:38

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Thanks guys!

Tam