Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 18:32

Plan: No Starch/High booze diet
Stats: 235/183/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Bah not sure..
Progress: 95%
Default Portion size question?? Help!

Greetings, and thank you all for routinely contributing and helping others such as myself with information in regards to Atkins and other lifestyle ways of eating.

I started over a month ago and I have to admit that I have NEVER been as rigid on what I ate before – I followed the induction phase to a T. I never cheated but did have a glass of wine during that period. Anyhow I was very excited 3 weeks after starting and finally stepped on the scale (I refrained for 3 weeks) and I was shocked to find I had lost only 2 lbs. I was totally disheartened. However the next week I lost what must have been almost 11 lbs so I can attest to the fact that it may take longer for some to start but when the engine starts it REALLY starts.

Anyhow my question is one that I am having a serious problem in answering -- that is portion size or more importantly, what is a correct portion size for various meals? See, I have gotten such conflicting information; in some articles or even with the Atkins books I have it says to "eat as much as satisfies you". I know that one of the major problems I had before was definitely portion size. I live as part of a society that covets All You Can Eat restaurants and places that give you triple burgers for the price of a single burger. I mean if you are spending your money you will obviously take the triple even if you can't finish it. It's a totally feeding on our need to get the best deal but simultaneously killing us.

I noticed that when I cut my portions I instantly started losing weight again. Now what is a portion? I figured that if I was making a salad (what I make for lunch each day) that has maybe radicchio, half a tomato, some green peppers, some cheese (parmesan) and finally either a chicken breast (usually half of one now) or half a can of Tuna and about 6-7 green olives all lovingly covered in olive oil, red wine vinegar, and tons of black pepper… I figured it couldn’t get better than that. Before I was having the same salad but I would make one that was HUGE and essentially all ingredients were doubled. It’s really hard for someone like me to understand how such a salad could prevent you from losing weight since it’s SOOOOOO much better than what I was eating before. Thus to end this saga, this 3 part mini series, I just wanted to ask some advice on how to make sure I am not eating TOO much. That’s my last problem. I test myself each morning with those KetoSticks and I am always moderate which is 40 mg/dl or about a dark pink but not quite purple yet. Obviously I am losing weight but I want to make sure I am burning the fat and not strictly from having reduced my portions to the point that I am hungry and don’t feel satisfied for fear of overeating. Anyhow have a fun or simple way to judge how much chicken or how much salad or how much of this or that is enough for one meal?

Thanks for everything

Claudius
Sponsored Links