Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 08:41
Registered Member

Plan: Various
Stats: 196/172/154 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 57%
Question Coddler help please

I just coddled my first egg(s). It wasn't bad. I went online and ordered myself a Royal Worcester two-egg (king-size) coddler a couple of weeks ago. I followed the instructions that came with it, which were to butter the inside, put the egg in, followed by little flavour options (I put in some tiny cooked bacon bits and a small amount of grated cheddar), and to simmer in boiling water for 15 minutes.

It wasn't ready at 15 min. It might have been ready at 20 but I wasn't sure. It was ready at 25. At 15 min there was definitely uncooked white.

Maybe my water wasn't simmering hot enough. Does it have to be really bubbling?

Maybe it was too full; I had two eggs in there plus some other content. Do I need to leave a lot of space at the top?

Am I supposed to break the yokes? Is that a matter of preference? What do people prefer to do? MIght breaking the yoke and giving it a minimal stir make it cook a little more evenly?

The cheese I chose, Red Leicester, was not the best - a bit dull and gentle. I need something stronger and sharper I think. I salted and peppered it about right, and the bacon bits were OK, although they would have liked to have been in there for 15 rather than 25 I think.

Next time I shall try ham, with which one can slice and line the coddler. And maybe some stronger cheese.

I coddled!

Gez
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-03, 10:21
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I coddled!
Congratulations!

Simmering is just below the boiling point. A few bubbles should be breaking on the surface of the water but it should not be boiling. Breaking the yolk won't make it happen any faster but what will is using room temperature eggs.

Here's a site that is devoted to coddlers:

http://www.egg-coddlers.com/recipes/

Karen