Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 21:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%
Default Flu Shot Anyone?

Did anyone else get the flu shot and feel like Crap................. for days???

Aching body, headache that feels like the typical flu headache, all just kind of on the verge of being there? It's been 10 days. I'm getting very fed up, it's better if I take advil, but soon as it wears off it's back.

What do you think?
Cheers Kathy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 21:05

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

You could actually have caught the flu before the 2 weeks that it takes to build up immunity. Some people do get a fluish feeling for a couple of days after the shot. If it doesn't get better, call your doctor. Sorry you are feeling bad & hope you recover soon.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 09:58

BF:

Hello, Thanks Tofi, I suppose the bug may of been around, but it was about 36 hours after the shot it all started. If it persist, I'll head to my Dr's.
LOL, I feel like such a wreck, I have a, wcb knee, Icbc (car Ins) shoulder, now this ! All since sept.

Hopefully that is it for a long time 8>)

Kathy
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 12:21

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Major insults

I didn't catch all the acronyms, but it sounds like a lot of insult to your body. Don't much clearing of it? When I'm run down, the smallest additional load will knock me over.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 17:43

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

WCB = Workmen's (or Worker's) Compensation Board (Insurance and medical treatment for workplace related injury

ICBC = Insurance company of British Columbia (Canada's westernmost province)
which is the provincial auto insurance co.

Sounds as though you've had a run of bad luck, Kathy. Sure hope it's over and things will get much better and less painful for you.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 13:07

Plan: Low Carb/Low Calish
Stats: 190/140.5/145 Female 5'7"
BF:30%/24.7%/22%
Progress: 110%

Both my husband and I received the flu shot last week. Neither of us had any bad symptoms.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 21:57

BF:

Well they seem to have left me the last 2 days, Yeppee!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 20:36

Plan: Protein Power (more or less)
Stats: 285/231/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 64%

I take some medications that significantly impair my immune system (Enbrel, Methotrexate) and have not had a flu shot yet. Still, it has not been a problem in the past; last year at this time I was on both meds and was LCing it and had no trouble.

One thing my rheumy (arthritis doctor) told me is to avoid the nasal spray version of the innoculation. Apparently it contains "live" strains of the flu, while the injected versions are "dead." And no, I am not sure what the terms "live" and "dead" mean in this context. I just know that she was very worried about me geting the nasal version -- so if you are worried about the immunization and have a choice, get the shot! Robert
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 19:02

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I get a flu shot every year and every year the reaction is just a little different. Last year, I had no symptoms other than my arm feeling like I had gotten a tetanus shot instead of a flu shot for about 4 days. This year, the injection site was a little sore for a day or two and I had some mild muscle aches with it but those also went away after 2 days. Some years I've had no reaction at all. Every year, the vaccine is different and so your reaction to it will be, too.
The first year I had a flu shot, I must have been exposed to the flu right before I got it because the next day, I got one of the worst cases of flu I've ever had. I mistakenly blamed the flu shot and didn't get one again for several years. Now I know better and haven't had a problem since then. A few days of muscle soreness are a lot better than a week home and miserable with the flu!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 05:57
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I had the flu shot in October and, thankfully, had no ill effects whatsoever.