Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 10:28

Plan: My Own
Stats: 154/141/- Female 61.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Really, can anyone help with this?

I posted a message before but did not get any suggestions or thoughts.

I am really trying to figure out this sugar and fruit thing.

I do not have a lot of weight to lose. I already had excellent cholesterol (TC 169, HDL 63, LDL 90, TriG 77). But I had been eating lots of junk and feeling sick and tired a lot.

I started Paleo eating as a way to get more healthy. But since I started I have been growing less and less able to eat fruit without a huge sugar response (at least I think it is a sugar response). Within 15 minutes of eating fruit I feel shakey, sick and foggy. Sometimes I feel this way for an hour sometimes less. Before going Paleo it would take a large amount of candy to make me feel this way.

My question is, will I ever be able to eat fruit again? Is my system in some rebalancing stage. Will I be able to add them back in someday?

Also, my pre-Plaeo bloodwork was so good, why would I seem to be so sensitive to sugar? Wouldn't I have showed more insulin resistant traits, like high TriGlycerides?

I am getting very frustrated about this.

-J
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 11:31

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 260/197/150 Female 5'7
BF:52/42.5/28
Progress: 57%

I don't know anything really but I know you're needing a response. You don't say which fruits you are eating - I know that berries are lo carb, so maybe if you start with some blueberries or raspberries first and ease into "sweeter" fruits slowly. Are you in ketosis? If you are, the surge in sugar after not having any would be causing this reaction. I am on Atkins and have had no sugar to speak of for almost 4 months but others that I know have splurged on a piece of fruit pie and regretted it. I think you will be OK if you start with very low sugar fruits just a little bit at first and work your way up. If this doesn't work, see your doctor...:-) sorry I'm not more help.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 11:49

Plan: My Own
Stats: 154/141/- Female 61.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for the response.

I have been doing the Paleolithic diet which has no carb counting or ketosis testing. But I suppose I could be in ketosis at times (especially when I haven't had any carbs for a while). Maybe that is it.

Apples seem to be the worst. And I had a tangerine this morning that gave me a response. For some reason bananas don't do it even though theya re high in sugar. It's all very weird. But trying berries and other lower carb fruits might be a good idea.

Thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 12:19

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default I've become more sensitive

Hard to say what exactly "feel this way" means--I know I've raised my own level of "feeling bad." Had a mouthful of a blondie the other day and my stomach twisted; it did NOT want any more. And this in a body that used to be able to finish half a gallon of ice cream with no trouble at all. I think I would die if I actually felt as bad as I regularly used to--doing that to myself is simply not acceptable anymore.

YEARS ago, I remember reading that there was something in apples that had its own reaction--some acid, or something. Bananas are reasonably high glycemic index, but I've had way less trouble with them than other fruits--apples and oranges were big binge foods, but bananas never were.

I am able to do OK--eat a serving, and walk away--with blueberries. Haven't tried many others except for some of the melons when I eat Chinese.

Good luck.