Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 08:16

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%
Default How the fat-burning ATKINS DIET can ruin your looks

I saw the following headline on the front cover of the latest edition of Top Sante (one of the UK's top-selling health and beauty magazines - according to them, it is THE best-selling ):

THE REPORT YOU HAVE TO READ
HOW THE FAT-BURNING ATKINS DIET CAN RUIN YOUR LOOKS

I'm sure you can understand that it raised my hackles immediately So, I ended up buying the magazine as I wanted to see what misconceptions etc they would write about. Unfortunately, there is not a web based version of the article, but I have typed it here in full:

Will the Atkins Diet Give You Wrinkles?
Sally Janes
Top Sante Magazine – November 2003 edition - UK

It’s well-known the Atkins diet can have nasty side effects, from constipation to bad breath. But did you know a low-carb, high protein diet could also age you beyond your words?

This is the diet celebrities turn to when they’re going through a weight crisis. If there’s a movie role to slim for or a baby bulge to shift, nothing drops the dress sizes as fast as the Atkins diet. But while Atkins devotees Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Catherine Zeta Jones and Renee Zellweger may look great in their 30s, in a few years time a strict diet could take its toll on their faces.

Gorgeous Jen has recently been spotted leaving a Beverly Hills dermatologist’s clinic. Could it be that the star is already developing fine lines or sagging skin? If so, she’d be wise to take a good look at her nutrition and reconsider her low-carb diet plan.

The diet’s guru, American cardiologist Dr Robert Atkins, who died last April aged 72, devised the plan in the Seventies. Since then, its estimated up to 50 million people worldwide have read Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution. And a poll for ITV’s Tonight with Trevor McDonald in September revealed that three million Brits are now following the diet.

What’s it all about?
The Atkins diet is relatively simple. Carbohydrates are kept to a minimum and bread, pasta, rice, cereals and starchy veg such as potatoes are banned. Atkins dieters fill up on protein-rich foods like eggs, fish, cheese and meat.

The diet comes in 4 stages. The first, ‘the induction period’, is the most drastic. It usually lasts for two weeks and dieters are allowed no more than 20g of carbohydrates a day. The next stage is ‘ongoing weight loss’ and every week dieters increase their daily carbohydrate intake by 5g until they reach the maximum level they can whilst still losing weight. The final two stages are ‘pre-maintenance’ and ‘lifetime maintenance’, where you’ll consume between 25g and 90g of carbohydrates a day.

However, this is much less than the levels recommended by the Department of Health, which suggests 50% of your diet should come from carbohydrates. So, a weight-maintenance diet of 2,000 calories per day for the average woman would mean a daily intake of around 260g carbohydrates.

The Atkins theory is that if carbohydrates are restricted, the body burns fat, as its main source of energy, resulting in dramatic weight loss. According to the Atkins Center in New York, carbohydrates overstimulate the production of insulin, leading to hunger and weight gain. But excluding carbs without careful planning could mean cutting out a wide range of fruit and veg that are proven to fight the ageing process and guard against heart disease and cancer.

Holding back the years
It’s no surprise that those on the Atkins diet suffer from constipation, as limiting fruit and veg reduces fibre intake. But it can also restrict intake of essential vitamins and minerals. Anti-ageing expert Leslie Kenton (author of Skin Revolution – Vermilion £9.99) believes that cutting down fruit and vegetable intake is worrying. “We need a diet rich in vitamins and minerals as they contain phytonutrients and antioxidants that fight disease as well as delaying the ageing process,” she says. “You’ll get many more nutrients from fresh fruit and veg than from supplements.”

It’s the antioxidant vitamins A, C and E, found in many fruits and vegetables that combat ‘free radicals’. These are molecules caused by smoking, sun exposure and environmental pollutants which, in excess, lead to damage to DNA and the body’s cell walls, accelerating the ageing process. “Without antioxidants these molecules cause real damage, ” explains Kenton. “Skin appears almost greenish/greyish. It ages rapidly.”

Leading nutritionists are concerned that the popularity of high fat/low carb diets will undo decades of healthy advice.

“Phytonutrients are most effective when they interact with each other. That’s why it’s important to eat a variety of fruit and veg,” says Dr Frankie Phillips, nutrition scientist at the British Nutrition Foundation.

Defending Atkins
Colette Heimowitz, director of education and research at the Atkins Health & Medical Information Center, says, “It’s a total misconception that the Atkins diet doesn’t contain adequate veg and fruit. In the strictest phase of Atkins – induction – the carbohydrate intake is mainly from vegetables. There’s no question they’re cancer-protective, but sugar intake and obesity will shorten your lifespan and age you more than anything else.”

But it’s not all doom and gloom. The induction period can be restrictive but after that you should be able to include enough fruit and vegetables in your diet as you gradually increase your intake of carbohydrates.

Having read the article, I do feel that they are still addressing the misconceptions rather than the facts, but was pleased to see that at least they were talking about all stages of Atkins, rather than just induction. It was also good to see that they had taken some time to contact the Atkins Center to find out more about it.

However, one thing that did have me seething, was their portrail of Leslie Kenton as supposedly Anti-Atkins - this is totally amazing as Leslie herself has written a low carb book called The X Factor (I myself reviewed the plan here back in February last year: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=34121) and is a total convert to to low carbing after many years of vegetarianism and juicing - her research convinced her that a low carb woe was the way to stay healthy and young.

I was also angry that they had used such a sensational headline on the front of the magazine - but I suppose sensational headlines sell magazines (and newspapers) - well, I bought it, didn't I, because of that! - and although it wasn't pro-pro-Atkins, it turned out to be a lot less anti than most of the articles that have appeared recently in the British press - which IMHO can only be a good thing

Last edited by Demi : Thu, Oct-16-03 at 08:17.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 08:25
Too kinky for you

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/246/187 Male 176 cm
BF:xxx/27.2/20
Progress: 24%

Surely having a chubby face will stop you having wrinkles too? Cos there's more to fill them out?
Maybe that's why they have this perception - but then it would be that ANY diet could cause you to have more wrinkles!!!

Ah well
At least they had a fairly balanced article.

Cheers
S
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 08:25

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Wow, Demi, I just have to admire the dedication in typing in the whole article. Thanks!

I find this so ironic, because Dr. Atkin's talks about the aging effects of sugar in his book, all that protein has done wonders for my skin, hair and nails, and I've gotten so many compliments!
I thought the US press was tough...but the UK press are really anti-Atkins.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 08:36

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%

adkpam, I totally agree with you my skin, hair and nails have never been better - and most people are amazed when they find out my age

Leslie Kenton has also written a book called AGE POWER and I quote:

Quote:
In the scientific context, carbohydrates are just organic compounds made of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. When carbohydrates are eaten by a healthy body, they turn into glucose to supply fuel for metabolism and vitality. But throughout the history of civilisation, as we've seen, carbohydrates have been manipulated, used and abused in a number of ways, most of them pointing down a road that ends in premature ageing, physical degeneration and obesity.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 08:53

Plan: parts of them all
Stats: 181/166/165 Male 5' 8"
BF:25%/9%/12%
Progress: 94%

Good one! The writer hopes to instill doubt in thirty-somethings by implying that, because of Atkins, in a few years they'll be in their forties. Oh, my!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 09:16
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I started getting mad just reading the title of the article. The part about Jennifer Anniston was so ridiculous and misleading. I was happy to see the part where they mentioned all the steps though, I've not seen that in a dumb article before.

Personally I never ate many vegetables before atkins, I had such a sweet tooth that foods that weren't sweet didn't taste good to me.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 09:20

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

Funny... even with weight loss my skin and face are looking better these days. I never get chapped lips anymore. My nails look like I have a permanent French manicure - and they are STRONG! I think I'm aging backwards
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 09:52
Registered Member

Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Some weeks ago, I received a newsletter from Atkins center which contained a success story which really touched my heart. I bookmarked this article because it makes me proud of Atkins diet and I like to see it again and again. So click on this article and look at the pictures of the two sisters before and after their diet to see how Atkins diet has made them look much younger and prettier. I recommend e-mailing this link to your magazine too.

http://atkins.com/Archive/2003/7/31-171174.html
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 10:26

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

Thanks for the link to the Sister Power story. Wow, do they ever look different after losing weight. They look great.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 11:04

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

Goodness. I was sitting here filling up on some fresh meat, eggs & cheese (actually I THOUGHT I was eating spinach salad with blueberries, chopped egg & some left over lamb) plus some left over meat, eggs & cheese (looked suspiciously like broccoli & cauliflower mix - but don't mind me - I wear bifocals & could be wrong) as I was reading this story. I guess the aging I'm enduring has nothing to do with my chronological age but can only be attributed to the fact that I fill up on nothing but meat, eggs & cheese. Can anybody tell me what this funny looking green tree-like thing is on the end of my fork?

Seriously, I wish these people would get a life and leave those of us who are working on improving ourselves alone.

shortstuff
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 12:23

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

An interesting article Demi. So they are still going on about not eating vegetables! Am also glad they put the bit on the end from the Atkins centre.

It also shows that they have never heard of Schwarzbein and the angle that she comes from with regard to eating vegetables and fruit and combating the aging process.

So as usual there is an element of truth in the article, but much myth and misrepresentation.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 15:12

Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

I have to confess its totally ruined my looks. No chubby cheeks, no triple chin, and as for the lack of spare tyres.............. You can see cheekbones, collarbones, maybe even hipbones and definitely some muscles. Yep, pretty awful!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 15:15

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
I have to confess its totally ruined my looks. No chubby cheeks, no triple chin, and as for the lack of spare tyres.............. You can see cheekbones, collarbones, maybe even hipbones and definitely some muscles. Yep, pretty awful!

Augghhhhh!! The horror!!!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 16:32
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%
Smile

Hi Demi,

I sneaked a look at Top Sante whilst I was in Tesco tonight. What did you think of the computer image of how Jennifer Aniston might look if she carried on with a low carb diet . The fact that she could have been to the dermatology clinic for umpteen things doesn't matter of course!!

Just for the record, when I go to the dermatologists next month, it isn't to see about wrinkles OK?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 23:18

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I laughed at the part about Jennifer Anniston going to a Dermatologist's Clinic!

My lord, the woman is in her 30's! She's an actress! She's got the money! OF COURSE she's going to a dermatologist clinic!