Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 14:28
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/127/125 Female 5 '6
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default JAMBALAYA -- LOW CARB HEAVENLY MEAL, make w/ rice for your spouse whos not lowcarbin

jambalaya FOR LOW CARB OMIT FLOUR AND RICE, with out flour it will be soupy, but still good

1 TB olive oil ----0 carbs
1 TB butter ----0 carbs
1 lb boneless chicken - diced --- 0 carbs
3/4 lb of sausage, polish , italian or andouille -casing removed , diced----2 carbs
1 medium YELLOW onion --9 carbs, ---- do half onion for only 4 carbs
2 sticks of celery -- 1.5 carbs each, so 3 carbs
1 green bell pepper--- 9 carbs --- do half for only 4 carbs
1 bay leaf---- 1 carb
several splashes of cayenne pepper sauce, (durkee red-hot)--- 1 carb
1 14oz can of diced tomatoes in juice, -- search for lowest carbs for brand---- approx 10 carbs
1 14 oz can of chicken stock or broth--- 0 carb
1 ts cumin -- 1 carb
1 ts poultry seasoning--- 1 carb
1 ts chili powder--- 1carb
1 ts worcestershire sauce ---2 carbs
1 lb medium shrimp----0 carbs

ADD RICE TO YOUR FAMILIES PLATES, IF THEY ARE NOT LOWCARBING

Use LG skillet over medium heat . add oil and butter to the pan. cube chicken and place in hot oil and butter. Brown for 3 minutes. add sausage , and cook 2 minutes more. Add onion , celery, and bell pepper and BAY, and cayenne pepper, or cayenne pepper sauce.

saute' veggies 5 minutes, stir in tomatoes and broth and season with cumin , chili, poultry seasoning , and worcestshire. Bring liquids to a boil and add shrimp.

Simmer shrimp 5 minutes untill pink and firm. remove the pot from the heat and place on a trivet. ladel jambalaya into shallow bowls AND ENJOY ... for tasty treat sprinkle with scallions.

I added 1 carb to all seasonings just incase, but I believe they are carbless=========40 carbs for the whole meal, if you only did half of the onion and bell pepper , it would be 34 for whole meal. You wont eat whole meal, and even if you ate half thAT would be 15 carbs, and I know you wont eat half, at least I don’t think

when I make this dish , I always have left overs,,, I am making it tonight for dinner with out rice for myself, but I will give hubby some rice.
REMEMBER TO OMIT RICE for yourself, add rice to their plate and then they can put the jambalya over it

PLEASE POST any mistakes i may have made with the carb content.

please post your thoughts after you have made this tasty dish
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 19:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/127/125 Female 5 '6
BF:
Progress: 87%

i ate this for dinner and it was so good.. I didnt think i would like jambalaya, the name just sounds weird.

But it was so good , you can even controll how hot it is by adjusting the amount of cayenne you use.

You could also make it without the shrimp
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-04, 12:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Serving it over steamed cauliflower or spaghetti squash might be a good rice/noodle replacement.