Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 13:12

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 279/240/200 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default A Rant

Sugar, Sugar everywhere......

Have you noticed how small the grocery store is now?

Have you noticed how many Lean Cusine, Healthy choice, etc there are?

Fast food - forget it.

I got completely psyched when the Giant by my work put chicken on the salad bar! When will Grocery stores stock a low carb frozen meal? There are more kosher items in a stor then low-carb. Argggh! I'm going to walk to GNC and get a low-carb bar!

Just a rant - Steve
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 13:19

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

I know it sucks. I don't live in a huge city, so we have barely anything low carb. One little shop, that screws me over on prices. The grocery stores need to catch on. I guess they look at it in a business sense, sugar foods probably sells more than low carb. After all if 60 something % of Americans(63% women not sure about men) are overweight sugar must be a big seller!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 13:20

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Haha Steve. I feel the same. Everytime I see a store with a salad bar, I get excited. And even more excited if I see the bar well stocked with a variety of food to choose from. Honestly whenever I go food shopping, I feel almost claustrophobic wandering up and down the isle seeing all the sugar stuff.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 13:22

BF:

small town usa... makes it hard but I think in time things will shape up. It seems to me that enought people are locarbbing that a Healthy Choice type meal would kick butt!

I ate lean cousine in the past but it made me crave candy....hmmmm - Steve
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 13:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/125.5/130 Female 66"
BF:24%
Progress: 113%

And they do put sugar in everything they can get their hands on these days even things that should be okay for us. Did you know that canned green beans have 2 grams of sugar per 1/2 cup? I sure didn't until I read the label at the store!!

Julie
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 13:27

BF:

Did not know that!

I have caught myself in the Grocery store hunting for something that is not there....thinking "Maybe today the came out with a "LO CARB FLAKES" right there next to the frosted wheats". Sometimes when I roam the Grocery store I know I am in a potential relapse mode.....gotta get out of there! -Steve
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 13:29
Registered Member

Stats: 185/151.2/135 Female 67 inches
BF:36%/17%/12%
Progress: 68%

Is it a mystery why there is an epidemic of obesity? Sugar is addictive -- just like nicotine! The corporate world is stuffing sugar into people whether people know it or want it or not. I SAY ENOUGH!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 13:33

Plan: low carb-atkins
Stats: 280/170/150 Female 5'8
BF:40/27.5/22
Progress: 85%

Hey Steve you should live in Canada......I cannot find hardly any LC foods at all....
No such thing as Lc Ketchup
La tortillias, anything....its gets frustrating to ready about all the good things I cn eat if only canada would sell it....
Sigh
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 13:35

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

I'm hopeful that all of the articles on low carb restaurants and products that have been coming out lately will have a postive impact for us.

BTW....I thought there already was a low carb breakfast cereal? And from an earlier post today, there's a low carb milk now available at Wal-Mart. Yum!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 13:48

BF:

Yes, I guess everyplace has it's ups and downs. Marchstart - seems life without lowcarb catsup has not slowed you down!...........And I hear there is low carb milk at Wal-Mart!?....I have to check it out. I think if I could have LC milk and cereal......I'd be set....I could just move my eggs and ham to lunch and then have ceasar salad for dinner! -Steve
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 14:02

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 150/145/120 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

I agree Steve, I think LC cereal and LC milk would make it so much easier for all of us that have to get out and go in the morning. I am making lasagna for my husband's birthday tonight. I get to smell it! Big salad.... no bread... oh what a life!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 15:57
"Princess" of Norway

Plan: Atkins / Lindberg
Stats: 187/169/143 Female 162 cm
BF:Yes
Progress: 41%
Default Oh, you guys don't know how lucky you are....

In this Godforsaken country under the polar circle, we don't have ANY LC foods. And then I mean NONE whatsoever. No Atkins products, no nothing ! Not even fried porkrinds. Could of course import from the UK or any other internet site, but the import restrictions here are pure murder. Tried to get hold of L-taurine and L-carintine, but was told I needed a prescrition from a doctor and a letter to show i really, rally needed it. Then I could apply for an import license......yeah right !

The good thing about this is that I make everything from scratch. I use double time in the kitchen now, compared to what I used to before LC'ing. I rather enjoy it. Trying out new recipes from this forum etc...... I've learned such a lot doing that. I'm looking forward to weekends when I can spend time shopping for new ingredients and trying new recipes .......

But you ARE lucky, at least you can order stuff without beeing charged for smuggling !
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 16:00

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 260/197/150 Female 5'7
BF:52/42.5/28
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchstart
Hey Steve you should live in Canada......I cannot find hardly any LC foods at all....
No such thing as Lc Ketchup
La tortillias, anything....its gets frustrating to ready about all the good things I cn eat if only canada would sell it....
Sigh

Hey Marchstart - you have to check out www.lowcarbfooddepot.com - it is mail-order only but is located in Toronto. I think I will place an order - it has all the goodies, from LC ketchup to LC la Tortillas products - it's amazing! Unfortunately there is no store-front so you can't go browsing, but the online catalogue kept me busy! So nice to have something online with Canadian prices instead of USD. Let us know if you try it out...good luck!
BTW, great loss stats - you are an inspiration!