Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 10:07

Plan: low carb, low sodium
Stats: 205/164.5/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 51%
Unhappy I love liver!

It doesn't look so good in type and I'm feeling kinda gaggy now but yes, I love liver. Chicken livers, calves' liver...just love it. Someone told me every time he has liver, he either stalls or gains.
How 'bout it....any other liver lovers in here? Anyone had any reactions after eating it? I'd love to make chicken livers and mushrooms over cauliflied rice tonight.
Thanks!

-Jana
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 17:49
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Jana,

Do you realise that liver (and other organ meats) has carbs? 6 oz liver has 8.8 carbs, so eating too much could stall you.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 19:23
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Not to mention that is one of the organs alot of toxins build up in if I remember. There are alot of good nutrients in liver, but as in everything in life (or at least diet), moderation.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 20:04

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I checked the USDA database, and it says that 100g of Chicken, liver, pan-fried, has only 1.11 g of carbs... Not that bad... and considering that it has 25g of protein..

and as far as toxins... I would not worry too much about it if it is chicken or calf liver because these are young animals and were fed maufactured food which is assumed to have little toxins.. I would never eat internal organs of game for that reason..
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 03:54

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 210/201/130 Female 5ft.2in.
BF:
Progress: 11%

I'm also a liver lover. Saute some onions and mushrooms, add chicken livers and a splash of dry red wine - delicious!
Goldie
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 04:01

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I eat liver...love it...

Yes, it contains a bit more carbs but its a food item that I like and if eaten in moderation, it is perfectly OK on most plans.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 09:41

Plan: low carb, low sodium
Stats: 205/164.5/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Thank you Rosebud, Ladybelle, Arie, Goldie and Yvonne for your replies and good information. Glad there are other liver lovers around.
Before I started eating lc, I ate mostly fish and dairy. I find I now prefer meat.
Arie, your pix are amazing - you look like a totally different person!!
Goldie, your recipe sounds yummy. After I buy the chicken livers today, I'll have all the ingredients for your recipe.

-Jana
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 14:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Actually, liver does not STORE toxins, it is an organ to eliminate them.
Toxins are stored in the fat...animals, and us!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 17:14

Plan: S.Beach/Insulin Resistnce
Stats: 310/274/260 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

What am I? Chopped liver? Why yes.

Pick over 3/4 lb chicken livers, pull off any green sections (bile) or gristle. Put into a measuring cup, just cover with milk. Set aside.
Chop 1 yellow onion into medium dice, reserve.
Bring 4 cups water to a boil & hard boil 3 or 4 large eggs. When finished, crack and place in cold water to cool - set aside.
Cut 6 - 8 strips of bacon into 1" chunks, brown over medium heat until the bacon renders it's fat and turns crisp. Remove bacon to paper towel & reserve. Add the chopped onions to the hot bacon fat, saute' until the onions are beginning to carmelize then add 2 cloves minced garlic, stir for 1 more minute and remove alliums to a plate.
When onions/garlic are almost done, remove the chicken livers from the milk, drain & blot well on paper towel. When you've removed the onions, turn up the heat and add the livers to the pan (add a bit more oil if you need to). Stir-fry livers over high heat until just done (firm, but still 'pink' in the center), remove liver and deglaze pan with a jigger of rum, scrape up all 'brown bits' into the sauce.

Put the livers on a clean cutting board, add the bacon bites and chop well. Chop the hard-boiled eggs, add to the liver-bacon mix, and onions/garlic. Put into a ramiken (small bowl) just big enough to hold it, add the deglazed rum pan juices and season with salt, fresh cracked black pepper, a pinch of allspice and a dash of tabasco and paprika.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 19:00

Plan: just low carb
Stats: 350/305/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Isn't eating Liver rather like eating the oil filter of your car?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 08:27

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

NO way sun! Its full of iron and like the other poster stated...it does not hold on to crap...it helps eliminate thru the bloodstream - - it breaks down your body's crap so you can eliminate it via the process of elimination.