Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 18:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/176.4/154.3 Female 5' 7
BF:
Progress: 23%
Smile The Same Question A Million Times

Hi,

I know you guys probably get asked the same questions a million times by new comers - but I'd like to ask it again anyway.

Obviously the cardinal rule is no bread and pasta and that sort of stuff - but when I look at things like corn chips and chicken tonight mixtures - they have things like sugar in them - am I allowed to continue eating these meals as long as I don't over eat my daily consumption allowance? I'm not sure if I'm making any sense - but at the moment I feel like all I'm allowed to eat is meat and cheese - and the occasional vegetables.

Ta
Erin
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 18:39
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Erin,

Welcome to another Brissie girl!

I see you haven't read anything yet about low carbing. The first thing you need to do, matey, is buy yourself a copy of Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution. He spells out there exactly what you can and can't eat. Trying to do Atkins without reading up on what you can and can't do just isn't going to work.

The important thing about carbs is quality, not quantity.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 18:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/250.5/190 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 35%

The short answer is no, you can't eat corn chips, etc. Theoretically, once you're past Induction, you could eat a few corn chips and still stay under you're carb limit, but that's not really part of Atkins' plan.

I noticed in your profile that you have not read any LC books, so I think the best thing you could do at this point is get Atkins' latest book and read it cover to cover. It will be a lot easier for you to follow if you understand the plan.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 20:48

BF:

Hi Guys,

Thank you for you input - I'm heading out this afternoon to buy an Atkins book and give it a hardy read. I'm very keen to keep it up - but as you would already know I really need to know the rules - cause i'm really getting tired of eating just meat and cheese (not that it's always that) but it's starting to feel that way.

Thanks again
Erin
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 21:41
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 236/127/130 Female 5'6
BF:98.7%/46.8%/36.8%/
Progress: 103%

i have a low carb brand of corn chips there about 8 carbs per 1/2 cup.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 00:40
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

For a quick read on the basics-head to the main Atkins site. It will not substitute for reading the book-but it will get you started.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 15:41

BF:
Talking

Hi All,

Well I've gone out and bought the Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution book (it's a thick one) and started reading - it's going to take me a while to finish it - so I also bought the cookbook and man are there some mouthwatering recipes in there - I can't wait to start cooking them. I'm starting with the cheese - topped eggs this morning for breakfast.

I haven't lost any weight (according to the scales) in two days - but I put on a pair of pants today that are normally snug - and they fit really well now - no tightness to speak of. I'm very excited.

Ta again
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 15:12
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 210/193/130
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default boxes on shelves

One thing that has helped me remember whats good and not so good while grocery shopping is this: If it's prepackaged in the center aisles of your grocery (unless you are in an LC grocery) it's probably bad!(ie cereals/prepackaged dinners/rice mixes etc) one exception is tuna of course, but just as a general rule, I try to keep out of those aisles myself. Hope this helps!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 17:09
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Occasional veggies?! shame on you

You should have at least 2-3 cups of salad veggies a day, plus 1 cup of another type That's just on induction, after you add in many more.

You might be suprised to if you are a devout veggie hater, that suddenly they don't seem so bad. Once your taste buds reset and get over demanding sugar, veggies suddenly taste sweet and completely different. Then on OWL fruits come back in, and oh boy