Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 06:00

Plan: My own plan!
Stats: 176/163/135 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 32%
Smile Peanut Butter on Induction?

I found low sodium and very minimal sugar Peter Pan Peanut Butter in the grocery store.

The Nutrition for 1 serving is:

190-Cal
17-Fat
5-Carb
2-Fiber
9-Protein

This seems like a great little snack to put into my diet to increase my fat and fiber intake. Does anyone know if we can have this on induction?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 06:03

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

No, you cannot have it.Although some have. www.atkinscenter.com ,I think is the atkins website, you really should read the book. It is $7.99 at my book store. I know I started without it for a few days and when I got it , I realized all the mistakes I made. At the website there is a link to acceptable foods.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 06:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30
Progress: 100%

Nuts are not allowed on induction... nut butters therefore are not either. When you are through induction - peanut butter and other nut butters are great additions (in moderation) but I would encourage you to get natural style nut butters - just nuts and salt. You have to stir them upon opening (the oil separates) and then refrigerate... but they are MUCH better for you - as the other kinds have transfats to keep them all nicely mixed all the time. Unfortunately the transfats are killers. Dr. A specifically addresses that we should avoid hydrogenated fats (trans fats).
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 06:17

Plan: My own plan!
Stats: 176/163/135 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 32%

Thanks! I wish I would have asked before I had it for a snack for the last three days! I'm still in ketosis so it didn't mess me up but I will stay away from it from now on.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 07:18

Plan: just eating junk food!JK
Stats: ???/105/??? Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 100%

hcmeau, is that the regular Peter Pan kind? coz ive been
looking for really lowcarb pb and all i found is presidents
choice natural peanut butter and its 6 carbs/2 fibers or
something, no sugar added though.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 07:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

You really should read the book before starting this diet.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 07:41

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

hcomeau: Does that Peter Pan that you found have hydrogenated oils (trans-fats) in it? Because, if it does, you may even want to avoid that after Induction and find a "natural" PB instead. The kind a previous poster said separated and you had to stir up before refrigerating.

In my low-fat days, I didn't realize you had to stir up the oil, and instead poured it off. Well, the resulting PB was incredibly dry!!! Now I know. Good luck on your LC journey!!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 07:50
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

From the looks of it they have already subtracted the fiber. A much better idea would be to get Adams all natural with no salt added. There is nothing in there but peanuts. Why load your body up with a bunch of junk like sugar and hydoginated oils when it's not that much more expencive to go natural. Adam's is found at Walmart, Albertson's, and Safeway here. It's with the regular peanut butters.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 08:07

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

A small Kroger( store brand )natural pb is $1.99, Smuckers is like $2.79 .

Growing up ,I remember peanut butter having the oil on top.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 08:25

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

oh you shouldnt eat Peter Pan kind anyway!!! all of those trans fats! there's not a lot worse you can eat tham trans fats...it's taken me forever to fullt understand that myself!!! there are lots of choices of peanut butters that the ingredients are only peanuts and salt or just peanuts. those are far better for you. but as someone said you need to have the book and the list of acceptable foods! nuts are not acceptable yet.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 10:08
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybfly
hcmeau, is that the regular Peter Pan kind? coz ive been
looking for really lowcarb pb and all i found is presidents
choice natural peanut butter and its 6 carbs/2 fibers or
something, no sugar added though.

Peanut butter is like tomato sauce -- it's one of those foods that *can't* be made really low-carb, because the foods it's made from have carbs. Peanuts are a legume, not a true nut, so they contain more natural starches than things like macadamias. They're relatively low GI carbs, though, naturally combined with fat and protein, and so are a better choice than a lot of other foods with similar carb counts. Still, though, they're carbs, and that's just the way it goes with peanut butter. If you like peanut butter, just plan those 4g into your day -- it's easy enough to do, especially if you're on maintenance.

All-natural peanut butters actually are a little higher-carb than the regular stuff, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. The regular stuff uses lots of nasty trans-fats as filler, decreasing the amount of peanuts in the same volume of the finished product. Instead of being 100% peanuts like the natural PB, it's a mixture of peanuts and trans-fats, and since trans-fats don't have any carbs, the overall carb count is a lower. However, trans-fats are BAD for you, and the added sugar contained in most regular peanut butters isn't exactly a good thing either. I don't think saving a single puny little carb gram is worth the trans-fats and the sugar, myself.

Side rant (not targeted at you specifically, honeyb):

This is why the low-carb product craze drives me a little nuts sometimes -- c'mon people, didn't we learn ANYTHING from the Snackwells orgies of the 1990s? Just because something is nearly carb-free doesn't mean that it's a "free" food, or that it's particularly good for you, or that it will help your weight loss. Yes, there's something to be said for minimizing the damage from occasional indulgences, and a low-carb chocolate bar is certainly better for you than one with sugar. But that doesn't mean you can have one, or two or three, every day just because they have hardly any carbs, or that you should choose your foods solely on the basis of the carb counts.

Remember, a carb isn't just a carb, any more than a calorie is a calorie -- a low-carb tortilla is metabolized differently from a cup of green beans, even though the carb count is roughly equivalent. This WOE isn't just about eating some magic carb gram number, but about eating wholesome, natural, unprocessed, low-glycemic-index foods. No, they're not necessarily carb-free, but this isn't a zero-carb diet, and there are no prizes given for who can eat the least carbs. When it comes to moderate-GI foods, it's better for your health to take an extra couple grams and eat the real food -- if you're not willing to do that, you probably don't want the food that badly, so why bother with a substitute? Of course, that doesn't apply to very high-GI stuff, like food containing sugar or flour, which should just plain be avoided wherever possible, even in small quantities. But I think trying to radically reduce or eliminate the carbs from moderate-GI foods, and replacing them with a bunch of fillers, is just lunacy. You can work just about any single maintenance-OK food into an OWL day with a little planning, and it's better for you (mentally and physically) to do that than to get in the habit of reaching for frankenfood.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 10:40
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%
Smile Mixing the oil in

I buy the Adams stuff, and I also have some almond butter and some macadamia nut butter in the house. The oil tends to separate out easily, but just make sure the lid is on really tight, and turn the jar upside down on the shelf. Then after a few days, turn it rightside up again. If you just do this every so often, it'll mix itself and you won't have to stir it.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 11:32

Plan: Atkins / OWL
Stats: 260/208/190 Male 71 in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Rather than have Peanut Butter, my wife and I have been enjoying I.M. Healthy "Low Carb" Soy Nut Butter.

It's unsweetened soy nut butter with 6g carbs, 5g fiber per serving, and a hefty amount of protein and fat.

Mix a little DaVinci with it, and you won't miss Peanut Butter at all. (If it's Toasted Marshmallow DaVinci, it ends up tasting like a fluffernutter.)

http://www.soynutbutter.com/product.html#
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 15:10

Plan: CALP (switched from Atkins)
Stats: 189/169/145 Female 63 inches
BF:Way/too/high
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogarthNH
Rather than have Peanut Butter, my wife and I have been enjoying I.M. Healthy "Low Carb" Soy Nut Butter.

It's unsweetened soy nut butter with 6g carbs, 5g fiber per serving, and a hefty amount of protein and fat.

Mix a little DaVinci with it, and you won't miss Peanut Butter at all. (If it's Toasted Marshmallow DaVinci, it ends up tasting like a fluffernutter.)

http://www.soynutbutter.com/product.html#

This must be a YMMV thing...I tried the soy nut butter and thought it tasted horrible. I'll have to dig around the back of the fridge and see if it's still there or if I threw it out...if it's there I'll try your Da Vinci's trick to see if I can get it edible to my (admittedly picky) palate.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 21:49
Gold Member

Plan: Atkins -Maintenance
Stats: 250/132/150 Female 5'6
BF:y, are you hungry?
Progress: 118%

I have to agree with xtena the I.M healthy soy nut butter had to be the worst tasting LC product i've ever tasted. The fact that it was nearly 5 dollars didn't help matters. I'm curiouse about the taste of the natural penut butter. Everyone mentions that it seperates but i haven't seen anything about the taste.

Gabrielle