Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 11:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/179.5/140 Female 67 in
BF:TOO MUCH
Progress: 21%
Default Ok-lets get to the bottom of this heavy cream thing-

IS it or is it NOT ok for us Adkins folk???

The label says zero carbs-so-to me-that means its ok-

Am I wrong??? Am I sabotoging my weight loss with heavy cream?? I have a little each moring and MAYBE a little in the evening.

Uggggg, I wonder what ELSE im doing to sabotoge my weight loss??? L
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 11:15

Plan: atkins, somewhat
Stats: 200/169/140 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 52%

you can have like 2 tablespoons of cream a day... thats more than enough for coffee, not really enough for anything else though... that amount only has a few carbs
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 11:17

Stats: 190/179.5/140 Female 67 in
BF:TOO MUCH
Progress: 21%
Default But, but, but...

if the label says ZERO carbs HOW can 2 tablespoons add up to a few carbs??
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 11:21
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I don't know who told you you can't have heavy cream on Induction, but it is perfectly legal. Don't go overboard, limit yourself to 2 or 3 tablespoons a day. It's very high in calories and fat, which is actually good for you. And count each ounce as 1 carb. It's not enough for them to list it on the label — USDA says anything up to .9 carbs per serving can be listed as "0" — but there are some carbs.

By the way — some heavy cream whipped up with Splenda is a great dessert! It's delicious on SF Jello and, later, on berries.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 11:21

BF:

if an item has .9 carbs, they can legally say it has none. they round down alot with carbs because they dont think it matter since most people are looking at calories and fat. all dairy has carbs. just remember that. even cheese has carbs, so dont go overboard with them. the only thing thats carb free is meat... thats it. and oils..
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 11:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorynJohn
if the label says ZERO carbs HOW can 2 tablespoons add up to a few carbs??

Because the serving size on the label is like 1 Tablespoon. A cup has 6.64g of Carbs. 2 Tablespoons has 0.83g of Carbs. Since there are only 0.415g in 1 serving, the Manufacturer can label it as 0g.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 11:26

Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

What about something like Redi-Whip? It's "less than 1" carb per 2 tablespoons... but it's sweetened with corn syrup...?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 11:27

BF:

you should stay away from anything with sugar in it even if it says its low carb. plus, whipping your own cream with splenda has no perservatives and the whole process makes the dessert that much sweeter :-p
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 11:32
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Filmlass,
I have eaten Redi-Whip before (straight out of the can, I'm ashamed to admit!) but agree that whipping your own is best. Do you know how small a 2-Tablespoon serving of Redi-Whip is! Barely a bite.

Edit: In my previous post I said USDA when I think I meant to say FDA. Ooops!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 12:54

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_here
you should stay away from anything with sugar in it even if it says its low carb. plus, whipping your own cream with splenda has no perservatives and the whole process makes the dessert that much sweeter :-p

Are you not aware that Splenda [at least in the US] contains Sugar ??? The packets contain "Dextrose" (AKA Glucose) and "Maltodextrin" (AKA Maltose.) Dextrose has a GI of 100, Maltodextrin 105. BTW, Dextrose is the same Sugar they make Pixie Stix with. 1 cup of Granular Splenda contains 24g of Maltodextrin. As for the packets, each one contains just under 1g of Maltodextrin and Dextrose. Hence, the reason I don't use Splenda except VERY rarely. ANYTHING made with Granular or Packet Artificial Sweeteners contain SUGAR.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 13:05
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

<nodnod> I use the Davinci Syrup for sweetening whenever possible, or liquid Sweet-n-Low. I was mad as heck to find out the filler in the powdered sweeteners was a starch!

I had a real whipped-cream "monkey" on my back, and have had to all but eliminate it...my favorite treat USED to be whipped cream and peanut butter(added in at the last minute) with Walden Farms Zero-carb chocolate syrup. This is now a once-a-week treat instead of every day!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 13:07

Stats: 146/121.5/120 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 94%

Are you still in the 2 week Induction Stage? If so, go back in re-read the book (or read it if you haven't yet). Atkins is pretty clear about what's allowed, and if you stick closely, life (and eating) is pretty easy. 2-3 Tbls. cream is okay. Making topping for berries isn't allowed, because berries aren't allowed until later. Make sure you measure out the cream you do use for awhile, as it's easy to get carried away. Another hint: I always start my lunch and dinner with a salad, which tends to fill me up, and end the day with a cup of de-caf green tea (w/ Splenda and cream) to wind down and feel like I've had dessert. (otherwise, that last meal of the day seems like it's missing something).

Good luck!

Last edited by beachmum : Mon, Sep-29-03 at 13:08.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 06:59

Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Loryn, good questions, you're doing a great job!!! Caring about the details is one thing that makes people a success on ATkins
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 10:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc48510
Are you not aware that Splenda [at least in the US] contains Sugar ??? The packets contain "Dextrose" (AKA Glucose) and "Maltodextrin" (AKA Maltose.) Dextrose has a GI of 100, Maltodextrin 105. BTW, Dextrose is the same Sugar they make Pixie Stix with. 1 cup of Granular Splenda contains 24g of Maltodextrin. As for the packets, each one contains just under 1g of Maltodextrin and Dextrose. Hence, the reason I don't use Splenda except VERY rarely. ANYTHING made with Granular or Packet Artificial Sweeteners contain SUGAR.

im aware that splenda is made from sugar, yes. but i only have the equivalent of about 1-2 packets a day so i figure its probably a lot better than having corn syrup or real sugar.... i wish i had more alternatives for sweetening, but it seems like the alternatives are either very expensive or not available here.