Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 15:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 161/158/130 Female 5' 5
BF:Don't know
Progress:
Angry Ready to Give UP!

I have been on Atkins for over 3 weeks following it to the letter and I have only lost maybe 2 pounds!! I don't understand? I am ready to say forget it!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 15:47

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

Hi Critter,
You've lost 3 pounds. That's not so bad. Hang in there for another 3 and see what happens. You've only just joined today. Welcome! Hope to see your communication here often. I lived in Austin once. It is a lovely city. Best of luck.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 15:50
Registered Member

Stats: 253/195/175 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I would not give up at this point, but I would definitely assess.

First off, have you actually read the book "Dr. Atkins new diet revolution." It is amazing how many people try to do this diet without reading the book. Simply put, it won't work that way. Walmart sells the paperback version of this thing for about 7 bucks.

The book lists several "pitfalls" which you may be falling into. "Hidden" sugars or carbs, not drinking enough water, not eating frequently enough, trying to do atkins only during the week, but not on weekends, etc.

TC
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 16:40

Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%

Give it a chance! Geez, you've only been doing this three weeks. Go back and read the book thoroughly, check that every little thing is right, thren give it some TIME. Some people just do not lose as fast as others. Have patience. I lose like a pound every three weeks - don't worry!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 16:49

Progress:

No I read it and I am following it exactly. I read all ingredients on every thing I eat. I will give it a few weeks more but it gets discouraging when you immediately hit a platueau! Thanks for the advice
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 16:55

Stats: 182/170/143 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 31%

Don't give up yet!
I haven't been on Atkins for very long--bout two months (minus a few mess-ups, so it's more like a month and a half) and I strongly considered giving up the lifestyle as well when I felt like the weight wasn't coming off fast enough. But I found out that different people lose at different rates. It looks like you don't have a huge amount to lose, so naturally it's not gonna melt off 5 pounds a week...it's going to be slow, and you have to be patient with it.
I once read on this discussion board that very few people who do Atkins aren't successful with it. Basically, if you do Atkins and you do it right, you're going to lose the weight you want to lose.
Plus there are the other benefits of this WOL as well...you won't just lose weight...you're going to feel better in so many other ways.
And you will always have the support of the wonderful and knowledgeable people on this board to help you when you're discouraged or curious!

Keep up the good work!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 18:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

Are you taking measurements? When you are on this wol sometimes you loose in ches. Are you working out? Drinking 64 oz plus extra for each 10 lbs you are overweight?
Are you eating sf candy and snacks? How many calories are you eating a day?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 20:55

Progress:

No I have not lost inches either and yes I work out. I do need to drink more water but I don't eat candy. My snacks consist of either meat, pork rhines or a bite of a advantage bar. My ketones have always been in the moderate to large range. I made sure I stay away from everything that has aspertame in it also. I am going to keep trying but the longer I am doing this with little to no results is hard. Thanks for all the encouragement.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 22:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

Maybe you should post what you eat on an average day
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 23:34

Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

First, please read my signature line. Next, read my signature line again. This is the secret to success at anything. Atkins works. period. Sometimes you have to be patient. Sometimes you have to make a slight adjustment but if you hang in there (and I really hope you do 'cause when you lose a bunch of weight you need to come back and encourage those in the same situation you're in now).
There are lots of little things you can try....like make sure you eating enough calories. Don't try to do low carb AND low Calorie/fat. I eat between 1800 & 2000 calories a day and 20 to 35 grams of carbs a day and lose a steady 2lbs a week (I'm a guy and fairly active so that could be a little high for some). Easy on the cheese, processed meats).
TOP TIP: Go to this link in the best of forum called Tips I have learned After 10 Months
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 11:13

Progress:

Okay I eat on a average day:
Breakfast: 2 or 3 eggs/bacon or sausage/sometimes cheese also
Snack:A couple of bites of the advantage bar
Lunch:Cheeseburger(minus bun)/Cobb salad/Meat+lettuce+sour cream+ very little tomatoes+cheese bowl.
Snack:a few more bites of the advantage bar
Dinner:Chicken/Steak/CheeseBurger and Vegitables (broccoli or cauflower)
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 11:16
Carb Nazi

Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%

Cut out the advantage bar for a few days and see if that helps. They ALWAYS cause me to stall... Mike
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 13:08
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

According to your stats, you want to lose around 30 pounds and have lost 3. That is actually right along with the normal time line. In induction (and I did a 3 week induction too) you can expect to lose 10% of what you need to lose. After that you can expect to lose 5-10% a month.

I originally needed to lose around 40 pounds-lost 4 in my three week induction and averaged anywhere from 2-5 pounds a month after that. Fortunately, on the weeks that I didn't lose weight, and there were many, I usually lost inches. I took measurements in several areas because I usually lose in just one body part at a time-weird, huh?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 13:22

Stats: 193/188/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 10%

I am experiencing similar problems. I can't get away from 178 no matter what I do. I got to 175 and was so happy I even changed my stats, but today I am back at a steady 178. I have vowed to quit so many times and even had a eat anything in sight binge day which I felt absolutely horrible the next day and I gained 7 pounds that day as well. I know it was all water as I was back to 178 the next day, but it scared me enough to get back on the wagon the next morning. I will just keep on trying, eating right and exercising and keep my faith that one day the weight will come off. And if it is slow then so be it, I eat better now than I have in years, no sugar, no refined anything and I actually eat more veggies now than before. Hang in there, and if you get tempted or discouraged post here. There are so many folks here willing to lend a word of encouragement and wonderful advice that there is no reason not to succeed! Good luck to you!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 13:27

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

I'd say cut the bars out too. They stall so many folks.

vikki