Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 15:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-Modified (TKD)
Stats: 263/245/210 Male 75 inches
BF:31%/25%/10%
Progress: 34%
Default Induction, how long, and other questions-

I have been on Induction for 12 days now. So far I have lost about 13 lbs, but I can already see that is starting to slow down a bit as I get to the end of the two week inital cycle. That's ok, and I do understand that long term weight loss will be steady, which is what I want.

So, how long should one stay on induction? The Atkin's books seem to basically say "At least 2 weeks, but more is ok" but that is sort of vague for me. I started at 263 and am down to 250. I *think* my goal weight is 210, going on what I wieghed when I was in my fighting trim around age 21. (I am 31 now) So I have roughly 40 lbs to lose. Would I benefit from a couple more weeks on induction, before moving to OWL?

Also, keep in mind that I have gone from being a total couch potato to a fairly active person, and plan to become even more active as my general health increases.

Thanks for the help. I have certainly embraced LC as a long term way to eat and live, and I really grasp the Lifetime Maint. and induction parts of the Atkin's diet. I am however, having some problems understanding when I should be moving to OWL and Pre-Maint for my weight and health goals.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 16:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

Even though I am well passed induction I still have not more than 20 to 25 grams a day and that great for me. I have to carefully plan it though to get veggies in right and still have the occasional treat with sugar alcs in it. For me its very easy to knock myself out of ketosis. Even in full fledged induction I was only pink on the stick. You can just add a few grams here and there at a time and see if you are still in ketosis
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 18:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

Hi tampa_baa--

I stayed on the Induction diet for several weeks (5), and continued to lose weight at a good rate throughout. After my weight loss slowed significantly, I added some foods specifically tailored to address health issues (avocados, nuts...to increase HDL), but continued to hold my carbs to less than 20 (sort of a "modified Induction.") I seem to get along fine without slipping into "starvation" mode...this is not true for everyone.

I don't use stix...there's never any doubt about ketosis from the wretched taste in my mouth. I've been visiting the mouthwash bottle about 6x/day since I started, and am seriously considering buying stock in the parent company of Scope!

In response to a recent weight-loss pause of two weeks, I revisited strict Induction for two weeks, and was rewarded by an additional 7 pound loss. This is what has worked for me...YMMV.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 18:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 311/216/185 Male 5" 9'
BF:
Progress: 75%

Congratulation on a great beginning!
I have remained on induction carb levels for aprox 5 months now. But I have added in nuts and fruits when I want.
I also keep my calories between 2400 - 3000 per day for 4 days. Then for the other 3 days of the week I drop them to 1400 - 1600 calories per day. Those last 3 days seem to be the days that I loose all my weight for the week.
This is your diet my friend. Modify it any way that will work for you, always of course keeping within the LC guilde lines.
Best of Luck.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 20:52

Plan: The Obesity Code
Stats: 563/521/199 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Congrats on your success. I never really left induction. I just added new foods, such as peanuts, peanut butter, low carb breads, deserts and other recipes not allowed on induction. If you have a lot of weight to lose though, then try and stay on induction if you can. I personally have found that there is a thin line between induction, and maintenance. If you decide to go off induction, you need to be careful to keep your carbs at an appropriate level. If you begin hitting over 50 carbs a day, you might not lose as fast as you want. Only recently have I begun to eat more carbs. Around 30 a day, and to my surprise, i'm loosing weight much faster. Just be sure to add new foods into your diet. Eating eggs every morning can kill anyone's enthusiasm.