Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 09:20
Brown-Eyed Girl

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default New & I really need a Buddy

Hello All! I am 27 and just started Atkins for the 1st time on the 22nd of September. I have 4 daughters 2 of mine and 2 step-daughters and between all of them, I have gained about 70 lbs. in the last 9 years. I have blamed it on everything from getting married, having children, and even buying clothes that just "shrink". Well, I have finally decided to take control of my life and get back to the person I "was". I would love to hear from someone who I can work with to achieve my and your goals.

Last edited by Ohio Kim : Fri, Sep-26-03 at 09:58.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 15:53
Registered Member

Stats: 200/182/160 Male 5' 11
BF:
Progress: 45%

Hi, I'm relatively new too (LCing for a month). I'm not even sure what a realistic challenge or countdown would be, but I'm happy to chat or exchange messages.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 20:20

Plan: Atkins Wannabe
Stats: 260 ?/234/140 Female 63 Inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hello Kim!! Hehe your replied to my post, so here I am replying to yours!! Id love to have someone to talk to about the trials and tribulations of this way of life.. lol..

After post 20 I think I can recieve private messages.. hehe so if you need anyone to talk to, Ill be around *g*
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 19:31
Brown-Eyed Girl

Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Hi Alhana and Wardrobe. Nice to hear from you. We all seem pretty new to this so I think it will be fun giving each other advice and boosts of confidence. Hope to keep in touch.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 04:17
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Alhana and Ohio,

I hope your weekend is going well. Is it okay if I brag a little? I was at an outdoor party with every kind of food and everyone pressuring me by saying "come on, eat this, eat that, drink this, drink that!" But I managed to hang in there and eat only Atkins-type food. I guess I really do want this weight off.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 11:15

BF:

Congrats!! It is so hard when the food you used to eat in abundance is staring you in the face, to walk away.. It takes alot of willpower! Good job
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 14:49

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 328/237.4/182 Female 67 inches
BF:50+%/34%/20%
Progress: 62%

Hi Kim,
I have four kids as well. I'd be happy to help in any way I can. My last baby was the killer, I got up to over 300 pounds!!! I used to dread those weekly weigh ins during the last couple of months during pregnancy so bad, I think it might have had a small role in my son finally arriving five weeks early! I just couldn't take the look on the nurse's face one more time. Once she looked at the number on the scale, then looked up at me in horror and actually said, "What ARE you eating?" I wanted to say, "Snotty, skinny nurses. Two a week. They're full of fat- more then you'd think just by looking at them!

Good luck, Kim. We'll all be rooting for you!
Kathy
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 15:03
Registered Member

BF:

Dear four,

I am sorry you had to hear the nurse's hurtful comments. I do not think it is good at all that health care people can be so clueless.

On a positive note, however, I have confirmed to my complete satisfaction that this diet works! A weekend ago I was on holiday visiting my mother. She has this thing about making me eat as much as she can possibly convince me to eat. (This might sound familiar to a lot of us.) Well, instead of fighting her, I went along with eating as much as she wanted to give me as long as it was ATKINS food!

I got home after the holiday and went to the scale to see what the damage was. I was amazed that I hadn't gained!! This diet seems almost to defy the laws of physics.

Anyway, I don't plan on regularly packing in the calories like I did on that weekend, but the experience convinced me of the diet's effectiveness. Having that confidence in the principles of the diet has made me more determined than ever to use it as far as it will let me take it.

I hope we all can hang in there and let the diet do what it does best: burn those pounds!!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 15:07

Dear Wardrobe,

I smiled when I read what you wrote about how this diet seems to defy the laws of physics- it's exactly what I sometimes secretly wonder about myself. It feels so GOOD to know that if I follow the 'rules,' the weight should leave.
Yes- let's all hang in there and lose the pounds. I'll be rooting for you!
Kathy
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 16:05

BF:

LOL Fourkids, I would have paid any amount of money to see this look on the rude nurses face if a comment like what you had wanted to say, been said.. My husband was a Medic in the Navy and for the time we lived together while he was still in the navy he was stationed in the Naval hospital.. and worked on the pregnancy ward! He would never be rude to anyone like that, ever. I just keep telling myself, *when* I get thin im not going to treat people the way some thin people feel its thier right to.

And I have to agree Wardrobe, this diet is amazing! Now.. if only it were super simple to get past all the bread and sweets every where I turn, Ill be A.O.K.. lol
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 17:41

Alhana, what drives me a little crazy is the smell of toast with peanut butter, something my four kids seem to think is the only thing they can eat for breakfast. Oh well, can't have it all, I guess. But it's funny how bread is what I'm missing the most. I didn't think of myself as a bread person that much before, but now I miss it even more than chips! Okay, maybe not as much as chips, but a close second!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 18:11

BF:

LOL Im a total bread person, I salvate at the thought of a nice loaf of european bread.. LOL Infact.. hold on *wipes mouth* lol.. But seriously, it is hard.. but there are alternitives out there, once off induction.. Ive had the atkins bread before, and I was very pleased with it.. Now there are all sorts of different kinds of low-carb breads.. BUT.. I guess this is most of my problem, instead of trying to overcome it, I think of ways to get around it ..LOL
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 18:14

BF:

Ohh and as far as chips, if you havent already, try the thin slices of chesse (i find cheddar is best) and put them on a microwave safe plate, and cook them till they are pretty brown.. They are a godsend! I just buy the hunks of cheese and make a few slices from the end, and its crunchy, tasty, and low-carb...!! Better than any soy chip you will prolly ever force yourself to consume!! hehehe
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 18:37

Wouldn't the cheese jsu melt into a total liquid? Did I understand you right? Put thin slices into microwave oven until they turn brown? UH? Hmmmm. Gotta try this.......thanks!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 20:35
Registered Member

Stats: 224/209.2/165? Female 65 inches
BF:49%/47%/20%
Progress:
Default New and would like to join the conversation

Hi there

My name is Eva, as my sign in name implies I am a bit of a sports nut. I teach Physcial Education, coach and need to lose about 60+ pounds. I really don't know how much, I just want to feel good about myself. I need to read the rest of the groups post to catch up..but after reading the first few I thought I might post a note. Seems like a good start. I am new to the forum and don't know how it all works, but if there is room count me in.

Eva