Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 20:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%
Thumbs up Is It Truly an Atkins Revolution?!

It seems since I started on the WOL/WOE that it's everywhere! I hadn't barely heard a word about it before I started. Then it seemed that everyone I talked to was either doing Atkins or new someone who was. I went to get a low carb bread mix at a local nutrition shop and ran into a customer of mine also there for low carb products (she's lost 30lbs!)....I went to my bike shop and the owner said his wife was doing it....ultimately I found out my doctor was doing it (and wouldn't tell me! but that's for another thread!). And the products are showing up everywhere. The girl at one of the local GNC stores said that Atkins was almost 50% of her business! We now have at least four stores I know of where I can buy a loaf of low carb bread. More Atkins products are showing up but the local Capers was sold out almost immediately when they brought in the Pancake and the Muffins Mixes! Today Victoria...Tomorrow the World!! Is anyone else noticing this phenomenon?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 21:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 320/320/230 Male 186
BF:
Progress:

i notice this
once when person mentions it
they start coming out of the woodwork, either doing it/ have done it themselves or know someone who is doing it
kinda cool
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 23:52

Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

Its funny how the general public is now accepting the truth, but our government wont! The food pyramid is still the same and what is being taught in school is being fueld by agricultural industries.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 07:25

Stats: 158/134/130 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 86%

All the more reason to spread the word far and wide. When I meet new people -- soccer practices/games every season are a good source -- I mention that I'm a low carber. That usually leads to a long conversation about eating habits, friends they know who do Atkins etc. I think we should all follow Dr. Atkins advice about proselytizing, becoming a revolutionary in this woe. So many people can benefit and sometimes it just means hearing about it a lot from others to motivate you to start something. Just like advertising, except we won't get big bucks for it. Just healthier co-workers and friends!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 08:10

Stats: 230/206/187 Male 196 cm
BF:
Progress: 56%

Wel,
I wish we had that choice in products. Over here (Holland and maybe the whole of Europe) there is zero zip nada!
Nothing at all. Not sure why because the amount of Atkins followers is increasing.
Lucky Americans!! :-)

Bye

Pax.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 08:18

BF:

Actions Speak Louder Than Words....I think the best thing we can do is show how effective this WOE is and when people see the result we are getting they we won't have to tell....they will ask .
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 08:45

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Persons Claiming to be Low-Carbing:

US -- 35 Million (14% of the Population)
Britain* -- 3 Million (5% of the Population)

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ight=35+Million

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=134405

I don't have any info on other countries, but I'd guess they're number of Atkins Dieters is lower than Britain. *British Stats reflect only those doing Atkins.

Last edited by cc48510 : Fri, Sep-12-03 at 08:53.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 08:52

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

It's true. I see LC stuff everywhere now (and it's sold out A LOT!). Even in mainstream advertising companies are tooting more and more that their products have "less carbs." I was getting a bunless burger at Mickey D's the other day and the manager says to me "so you're doing Atkins too, huh?" I find at restaurants when I order no bread/sugar, etc. they are very understanding and serve me in a manner that gives me the impression they get the same kind of requests quite often. It's FABULOUS!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 08:54

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg, because I've had the same experience. I got into this because of my mom, who got into it because of a friend, then I find my aunt is doing it, and now I've influenced a friend of mine to do it.

North America is a very consumer oriented culture. If someone knows we want it, they will usually fall all over themselves to give it to us. Hopefully the wave will reach me, here in the mountains we have one rack in the supermarket, and that's partly for diabetic products. But I'm grateful for what I have, and one of these days my mom and I will splurge on an internet order.

I remember back in the middle '70's, my best friend's mom started on Atkins, and she was really doing well, but everyone kept telling her how "dangerous" it was and she stopped. And she had always struggled with her weight, I know she put on the lost pounds and more.

So the difference now is...the Internet! I know I lurked on the forums here for a little while, and I got SO MUCH neat information that it quelled any lingering doubts I may have had.

It is a revolution, and we're part of it!

Absolutely, let's spread the word. In a nice way, of course. But I find something as simple as what I order for lunch can spark a conversation.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 09:20

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

I have been following news reports and such. For some reason, the LC lifestyle is becoming more and more popular and more and more professionals are starting to admit the benefits of it. It is awesome
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 12:02

Stats: -/-/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:It Just Can't Be!
Progress: 0%

In my little town of about 1800 population, LC stuff has begun showing up on the grocery store shelves!
I have asked for a few things to be stocked, but it looks like thee are some other people asking also.
I saw spaghetti squash in the produce section last week for the first time ever! I'm going to try a shot at LC tortillas next.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 16:38

BF:

Thanks Sbear!
Sbear left this link in the LC Research/Media forum and I thought I would paste it here so you didn't miss it.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/2003-0...kins-diet_x.htm
Great article!