Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 21:09

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Airline Special Meal: Diabetic or Gluten-Free?

I will be on a long flight late Wednesday night and of course I will bring my own snacks but the closest special meal preference to LCing is either diabetic or gluten-free. There is no LC option. I know neither the diabetic option nor the gluten-free option will be absolutely perfect for a low-carber, but I am trying to choose the lesser of two evils. I asked the airline to elaborate on these two options, but I have not heard back from them. So, I am asking experienced LC air travelers, what special meal option would be best suited for a low-carber?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 21:30

Plan: South/Atkins/Ornish/etc.
Stats: 275/260/190 Male 5'10"
BF:lbs&in. first, ok?
Progress: 18%

I travel cross country twice a month, and I've been compiling notes on airline food and LC travel tips. One of these days I'll get around to writing the article I promised myself I'd do as a result of all that I've found.

In a nutshell--it depends upon the carrier. I usually fly on Alaska Airlines, and the diabetic meal has been the best option there. American Airlines didn't do well with either diabetic or gluten free. In fact, the gluten free breakfast was a rice cake, banana, and non-fat fruit (and sugar sweetened!) yogurt--almost 100g for one meal! Northwest Airlines had a pretty good choice with the dairy-free lunch, but there was still the granola bar to avoid.

In all, until the airlines come around the best you can do is pick out what works for your WOE, and pack plenty of portable LC snacks to round it out. I always have with me a couple bars or a snack-size ziplock with almonds, or a couple of those tiny wax-covered cheeses.

And water. Take a liter bottle with you, and don't be afraid to ask for more than one of those teeny cups full when the beverage cart comes by. The air flow in an airplane cabin is so dry you can almost feel your skin crack.

One last thing: I take every opportunity to tell the carriers that LC is an option! Ask for it when you make your reservation. Call the carrier and talk to customer service. Send it in with the customer comment form on the carrier website. Anything to let them know there is demand for it. That's how all those other options got in there--if they figure the paying passengers want it, they'll think about it.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 04:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

re the water, after reading an article, I'm always afraid that they refill the water bottles in the bathroom. I know that maybe once in my lifetime, that might happen. Regradless, I also get the canned mineral water. On United and Northwest, it's called La Croix mineral water. They usually give me the can too, bec no one ever asks for the stuff.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 06:16

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Hysmith
the gluten free breakfast was a rice cake, banana, and non-fat fruit (and sugar sweetened!) yogurt--almost 100g for one meal!
This is similar to the diabetic meal I was served on a charter flight last year The people next to me got an omelette, sausages and hashbrowns. In retrospect, I should have just gone with the 'standard' meal!

I would also advise you brining your own food. Nuts are always a good choice, extra water (buy it after you go through customs or make sure it hasn't been opened). Anything that you can transport w/o having to refridgerate - pork rinds, soy nuts, sunflower seeds, etc.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 06:29

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Many thanks for the replies. I realized last night after I posted that the airline requires 24 hour notice for a special meal, so I am stuck with the diabetic meal (as that's what I requested at time of ticketing). As I said, I'll bring my own stuff along.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 06:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/194/135 Female 63
BF:
Progress: -18%

I'm going on a plane next week, and didn't even think about diabetic meal. I orded the vegitarian ( I figured I would get my vegis out of the way) and I'm scared of Airplane meat.I'll make sure I bring my water.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 06:55

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 191/152/155
BF:
Progress: 108%
Talking Airplane meat is good!

Once in a while we have had Geese since they can get hit by airplanes and fall down on our property!

Seriously though I bring my own food and sometimes get the regular meal and pick through it. Many fights I do they don't serve a meal - just pretzels or some other high carb junk food. They have done away with peanuts on many flights.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 06:55
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

This is a really good question! I cannot wait for Scott's article. Since I am a vegetarian, I asked for that special meal last time I flew. I got a a grilled squash sandwich, some potato chips and a cookie. I ate the squash out of the sandwich and about 5 potato chips. On the way back was breakfast and I got cereal with soy milk (sweetened, of course) and yogurt (also sweetened). In other words, nothing I could eat. Thank goodness I had packed almonds to take with me.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 07:55

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

i just recently flew american. i asked if they had any nuts or anything when they were passing around the pretzils and the steward asked if i was low carbing. i said yes and he went into first class and brought me some mixed nuts.

i also ordered the diabetic choice and on the first flight then didn't have the order, on the second it was some kind of sandwich and a bag of carrots along with a sugar free cookie or something. not bad considering...

the best bet though is to pack pleanty of snacks. i got by with jerky, almonds, and fruit this last trip.