Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 19:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins but now maint. as I'm prego
Stats: 293/240/190 Female 64"
BF:too much!!
Progress: 51%
Unhappy Not losing weight fast enough...HELP!

I have been on Atkins for one week now and am not losing weight as fast as I know I should. I need to lose about 60 lbs. and am able to lose weight rather steadily when I try. I walk one mile 3-5 mornings a week on treadmill and drink tons of water. let me list what I ate today and someone please tel me what I'm doing wrong! I want to succeed at this but am getting discouraged.
Breakfast: 3 slices nitrate free bacon
3 eggs, omelette
2 oz. mexican mix cheese(monterey jack, sharp cheddar, colby)

Lunch: pepperonis covered with 2oz cheese (plate pizza)
romaine lettuce, green olives(10)
feta cheese, ranch dressing, pork rinds crushed up for croutons
diet rite soda
Dinner: steak
romaine salad w/ green and black olives, shredded cheese,
ranch dressing

and water, water, water! Am I really cuasing my own failure here or what??? I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me!
Am i even in ketosis???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 20:02
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

One week really isn't long enough to tell how fast or slow things are going. It takes 3-4 days to get into ketosis, so you really only have had 3-4 days of fat burning.

You might want to cut down on cheese-Atkins says that 4 oz is the maximum allowed on Induction.

The amount of lettuce/salad looks good, but you might want to add one more veggie in there. Other than that-it looks good to me!

I would definitely get a free account at www.fitday.com and track all your foods.

Please try to be patient. Induction is for a full two weeks. Don't judge your weight loss until then.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 20:15
Registered Member

Hey, thanks. I kind of figured it might be the cheese. Unfortunately! I really love having the cheese with everything but now I'll weigh it each time i use it. I don't have the signs of ketosis...you think i'm not really in it yet?
Ohhhh, Im frustrated!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 21:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/185/148 Female 5'10"
BF:36%/31%/23%
Progress: 26%
Exclamation giving it some time is are wise words you will hear from many

supbughan

I know it can be hard not loosing as quickly as others, but some people are metobolic resistant. This means slower weightloss for some folks. I was on strick Induction for two weeks and sadly lost nothing. It wasn't untill another week with further restrictions that I finally started to loose. In my case I lost 6lbs during 4 weeks of very strick Induction. I am a little envious of your success. With this WOL it will take some longer to reach their goal weight.

Best luck and don't loose you motivation!

ps... be sure to take your messurements - you can loose inches before it shows as a pound on the scale!

Last edited by 94513 : Wed, Sep-10-03 at 09:37.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 21:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/205/150 Female 64 IN
BF:
Progress: 5%

Stick with it girl! Your body needs time to adjust to your new metabolism- right now it is a little confused as to what it's supposed to do. Make a commitment to do the whole 2 weeks of induction- and don't give up!!!

I'm assuming here that the exercise and increased water intake are new for you as well- you are quite probably building muscle with the exercise. Also, you may be retaining water- not only does your body posssibly not know what to do with the water yet, you might be eating too much salt. Pepperoni, feta cheese, and pork rinds are all pretty salty- and can cause water retention.

Other than that your diet looks great- although IMHO a little too plentiful. Have you figured out your calorie count yet (I know, I know, we're not counting calories, but I personally find that too many calories cause my weight loss to stall). However, I found that my appetite really went down after the first week on Atkins.

Stick with this WOE Supbughan and you will most likely find yourself very much thinner in a month!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 22:08

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Is there an important date that is making you in such a hurry to lose? Did you put the weight on in a hurry? When I was on induction I ate a variety of vegetables. Salads just happened to be inculuded in my veggie intake. I also ate cheese, eggs etc. But I didn't eat them as though I was on a diet. It was mike being a kid in a candy shop for me. I began eating veggies that I have always loved but rarely ate because the rest of the family really didn't like such things. Corn and green beans were our certified vegetables. I found myself, recently, asking the family if they missed corn and they said "no". Hubby makes the kids try every vegetable that I eat. Now they eat it without prodding.

I rarely eat more than 2 eggs ( remember, 1 egg is a serving ). Generally it is one egg but it varies. For the most part, I eat my cheese in the AM. I don't know why, I just do. With the 1-2 eggs I might add a breakfast meat with lowcarb bread. However, I had no low carb bread on induction mainly because I didn't know that it existed. Supbughan, I never paid any attention to rather or not I were in ketosis.
I was concious of loss in weight and inches. I do have symptoms now and again of a metallic taste in my mouth and sweet smelling urine.

SB, how much weight have you lost? I didn;t see anything about how much you've lost. Maybe you are doing better than what you think.

Black57
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 06:20
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Signs of ketosis:

If you are depending on the sticks to tell you-don't. Those sticks are known to be unreliable. Plus they only measure 1 type of ketones and there are two or three kinds.

Most of us went through an adjustment period when we started low carbing. We felt tired, easily fatigued, and even a bit dizzy as our body switched from burning carbs to burning fat. In addition, there can be an, um, change in bathroom habits. For some it was constipation for a day or two, for me it was just the opposite. Do you have any of these symptoms? Also ketosis has some interesting signs itself. Bad taste in the mouth (slightly metallic for me), smelly urnine, lowering of appetite and some people report that they felt hot-especially at night.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 06:31
Registered Member

Black 57
Before I started Atkins, i had done the 6 week body makeover with my husband and lost 25 lbs. I had cut out sugar and salt as well as eating any processed foods. I had also started walking so that stuff was not new to me. as I read the posts, I see that I might be having too much salt with the new freedom to ahve bacon etc. So, I will limit my intake of those salty foods, knowing how I retain H2o.
I have lost 5 lbs so far one week inot induction . I have formally registered with fitday to put all my foods into their counter. I am also going t be very sure I dont go above 4 oz. of cheese, as much as I love it.
Thanks you guys for all your help. I will NOT give up. My hubby is dong it with me and he's been great.But, he's not as gung ho as I am in finding out what the deal is. also, duh, he's a man not sugject to water retention as women are. So, thats why I need you all to help me get to the bottom of this. I cant wait to see the results when I finally get my eating right!
God bless.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 06:35
Registered Member

Paleoanth
I did have constipation and started taking psyllium husks in capsule form once per da and that has helped but none of the smelly urine or metallic in mouth but I think its been what I've been consuming so I'm going to make some changes and get back to you after a few days. I think I'm going tpo see some great changes
Thanks!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 06:38

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 270/256/175 Female 5.5
BF:Afraid to Know
Progress: 15%

hi supbughan,
i know exactly how you feel especially when you put all your effort in it you figure it was so hard for me to do all the right things today i think i deserve to lose at least 2lbs a day. everyday i battle with that but i have to tell myself that i need to look at this as a lifestyle change and not just a way to lose weight. as someone mentioned before we did not gain this weight over night and it's not gonna drop of us right away either. once you are moving your body, drinking you water and eating healthier you will feel the difference even though the scale does not reflect that and that is what we need to focus on. eventhough we had to lose it overnight with this WOL as soon as we go back to our regular habits it will all come back. Long term baby....think long term. Good luck
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 06:44

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I have been on Atkins for one week now and am not losing weight as fast as I know I should.
Fortunately for us, sub, we don't get to decide the rate at which we lose - that is up to our bodies. Your body knows what it can handle and what is too much. Listen to it and you'll come out ahead in the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by supbughan
Black 57
Before I started Atkins, i had done the 6 week body makeover with my husband and lost 25 lbs. I had cut out sugar and salt as well as eating any processed foods. I had also started walking so that stuff was not new to me.
This is the answer to your question about why your loses are not as dramatic in the first week. Typically that first week is about letting go of a lot of water. When you restrict carbs you force your body to burn those it has stored for later use. Carbs attract water - you know that because when you eat too many of them you bloat up, right? - well when your body burns those stored carbs it releases the water that was stored with them. The more muscle / lean mass you have the more water you're going to lose, because this carb is stored in your muscles as glycogen. The heavier we are, the more lean mass we have - just because it takes more to carry around the extra fat.

If you had spent 6 weeks cutting out sugar (carbs) and processed foods (typically carbs and salt) and exercising you lost a lot of that stored carbs then. This is why you don't see the 'big numbers' now.

That initial loss, BTW, is atypical of subsequent weeks. From now on out you want to lose F.A.T. - and that doesn't come off at a rate of 5 lbs per week!

Cheers,
Nat
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 07:28

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Five pounds on the first week of induction. That is quite a bit of weight lost. The majority of that is water. You could possibly lose that much or more on th second week especially if you watch your salt as you say. Five pounds in one week IS alot of weight.

Black57