Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 11:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 344/302/240 Male 6' 5''
BF:
Progress: 40%
Question Please help! Feeling fatigued...

Hello everyone,

I've been lowcarbing since July 2002 and this is my second time on Atkins. I'm relatively happy with my results so far (42 lbs), but my recent ordeal with my health has really given me a scare as in Finland (where I'm from) there has been a lot of discussion about Atkins-related deaths.

My problems started, when I started refeeding to boost my leptin levels - I refed myself one weekend (planned refeeding ) consuming substantial amount of carbs. After refeeding, I returned to Atkins and to ketosis three days later with no problems feeling absolutely great.

Less than a week after that I started feeling dizzy and my heart was pounding like crazy. I went to work but had to come home after three hours as I felt totally beat and powerless. I started taking potassium and magnesium, thinking that I may be missing them but that didn't help.

I have been to see two doctors (and yes, told them about my Atkins diet).

The first one put me to an ECG test and basic inflammatory tests, but except to some blood cells in my urine (which was considered as an effect of a flu) everything came out clean. My heart was absolutely fine. I was prescribed antibiotics for suspected bronchitis - no help whatsoever.

The second doc put me to gastric (blood) tests (today, Monday), and I'm awaiting the results tomorrow.

My blood sugar levels are normal (my girlfriend is diabetic and we both measure blood sugar regularly), so these symptoms cannot be diabetes.

I still feel totally fatigued, dizzy, and my heart starts racing as soon as I eat anything - protein, fat, carbs, no matter what. The symptoms are worse at mornings and afternoons, but evenings and nights are easier.

Has anyone of you had the same kind of problems and if so, how were you able to beat the ordeal? Could this be allergy? Can a food allergy arise after a long LC diet, when one starts to eat carbs again?

Hope you can help me.

Your brother in LC,

Ike McM
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 11:04
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

How many carbs are you up to a day?

Also, my thoughts run to that you may not be eating enough?

And regarding your fears of people on Atkins. I have never read 1 documented case that supports that fear. And I would think after 20 years of the diet and cardiologists fearful of their advice being wrong, someone would have shouted from the hilltops if that could be proven.

Last edited by lkonzelman : Mon, Sep-08-03 at 11:12.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 11:18

BF:

Hi LisaK,

I'm currently not on Atkins (haven't been for 3 weeks since these problems started) and thus not counting my carbs, so its not easy to say. Do you think carbs could be the problem in my case?

But as I wrote in my message, everything seemed to start great after the refeed, when I was in 20 carbs. After less than a week, everything went haywire...

When I wrote my message, I had the strange feeling you might be the first to comment my question...

Thanks,

Ike McM
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 11:25

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ike, are you eating a lot of carbs right now? I know that before LCing, when I consumed a diet mainly of carbs I would have those same symptoms - panic attacks almost. LCing took those away.

I realize that this started when you went back to LC and that you did start taking potassium / magnesium, but in what doses?

Magnesium and calcium will work together to help with cramping and muscle relaxing. Potassium will help with dizziness, headaches and that 'fatigued blah' feeling. However, potassium won't work right w/o adequate magnesium. Is it possible you were not getting enough?

RDA for magnensium is 500mg. RDA for calcium is 1000mg. There is no RDA for potassium but it's recommended you take 400mg as a LCer.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 11:28
The evolution of me

BF:

Because I am compulsively on line????

Actually most people have a big blood sugar drop during induction which leave us feeling what we call "carb withdrawal". Dizzy, fatigue, nausea for some. All three for me until day 6, but for some it lasts longer.

How long did you do induction?
The key is to eat whenever hungry, was it possible you weren't eating enough?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 07:29

BF:

Hi Everyone, especially Lisa and Nat!

Today I feel a lot better and it seems that the antibiotics I got for bronchitis are finally starting to kick in About time, if you ask me

I also got the test results of my gastric tests. Everything was absolutely perfect apart from a urinary infection for which I was prescribed more antibiotics. I was really surprised to hear that I had UI, as I had no symptoms of it.

Nat, you asked about my supply of magnesium and potassium - I may have overdone it with magnesium as I ingested about 1000-1200 mg of it daily, but my potassum was close to the recommended 400 mg. And looking back to my induction after refeeding, it's possible that I didn't eat enough or drink enough. I didn't mean to, but may have reduced my eating and drinking sub-consciously...

Lisa, Nat, I'm really grateful for your fast replies - in moments of weakness and doubt it's good to know that there are caring fellow LCers out there who give out good, sane advice and ask the right questions when they need to be asked.

Your brother in LC,

Ike McM
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 10:51
The evolution of me

BF:

I understand. It is so against everything you ever learned about eating previously that it is hard to believe.

But I do now. Religiously.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 10:54

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by McM
Nat, you asked about my supply of magnesium and potassium - I may have overdone it with magnesium as I ingested about 1000-1200 mg of it daily,
Oh my goodness, Ike. Did you suffer any nasty side effects? (Magnesium is famous for its laxative-like side effects).

When you return to LC be sure you have the right amounts of both supplements and calories - and of course stick around here

Glad to hear you're feeling better
N