Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 19:21

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Smile Went supplement shopping. Does it look ok?

PharmaPure Supplements were on sale 50% off so I wanted to stock up on stuff I needed. I only spent $14 lol. But I get nervous about taking pills; I don't want to OD or anything =0..So please give me some feedback on whether or not this looks good..or if I like overdid it or anything
  • Multi Vitamin/Mineral combined - 100% on all vitamins and other stuff.
  • Potassium Gluconate. (Calcium I already have so didn't buy any)
  • Omega 3 Fatty Acids (I don't eat fish so I need these) - 1 soft gell = 1000mg (epa 180mg/DHA 120mg) Is 1 pill enough a day? And since I have this, do I still need to take Essential Oils like Flaxseed?
  • Booster C Vitamin C and Bioflavonoid Complex with Green Tea .. I bought this because I've been wanting Green Tea and this is the only thing they had.. Serving Size is 1 tablet which has 500mg Vitamin C, 250mg of Lemon Bioflavonoids (standardized to 12% Hesperidin), Green Tea (Camellia Sinensis leaf) 250mg.I read on here that 125 was the minium to take so Is this a good product for Green Tea? And should I take 2 a day?
  • Vitamin B50 Complex - There were a few different kinds, one was B100 and another was Bsuper.. So hopefuly this one is good enough? I wanted to try the B complex because a lot of people say it helps with energy and metabolism... but if I'm already taking a multi vitamin with B's in it... Would this not be a good idea to take? I did ask the pharmacist and they said it's fine to take and it would help my metabolism..but just making sure.
Also, can I take any of these supplements together? I hate taking a million pills througout the day lol.

If you actually read all this and reply..thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 13:05

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Plenty of room

In addition to a multivitaman,

I take 10 of the flax seed oil capsules a day, 5 with breakfast and 5 with lunch. I think you can take as many as 30 safely, if you can afford them and if you can stand to swallow that many. I may take more in the winter when my skin dries out some more.

I take 3 g of vitamin C a day, which would be 6 of your pills, plus what ever is in my multi, which isn't that much. You can go up to 10 g but do it slowly, changes will cause digestive upset. Good idea to keep this one stable, whatever level you take. If you start bruising or get bleeding gums (that aren't due to gum disease--when did you go to the dentist last?), take more C.

I let my multi- provide my supplemental B, but I have taken additional Bs in the past. While they are water soluble, your body "gets used to" having the vitamins available, so you want to keep a steady intake, whatever level you take. I found it's possible to get a pretty good energy boost from Bs, but whamola, what a crash if you forget it!

I lay out 7 or 8 days of vitamins at a time, using film cannisters. I pop one cannister-full in the morning, and another at lunch. I also keep an "emergency" multi in my aspirin bottle in case I forget, because of the "crash" factor mentioned above. I don't take exactly the same stuff both times, but I'm taking some other pills that you didn't mention.

This works for me, although I have wondered (and hoped!) if ER staff can determine the difference between vitamins and recreational pharmaceuticals, should I be in a wreck or something! Don't want to be treated like a junkie in the hospital! (But the rest of me would probably tell them it was vitamins, not speed...)