Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 12:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/179/130 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Frustrated, please help!

My husband and I are both on LC. I started first, then, without any prompting from me, he decided to do it as well. I've been doing pretty well. He cheats all the time unfortunately. He sticks to it one day and is off the next. I'm trying not to nag or say anything since that would be counterproductive--he gets defensive.

But it is driving me up the wall. He's lost 10 lbs, but he's stuck there or yoyos. I'm afraid this is making his situation worse, since he's eating a high fat diet one day, and a high carb diet the next.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of suggesting to him to just get off it since he's not really doing much good on it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 12:35

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

If his average carb intake is down then he is doing some good on it, even if it's only from a health point of view.

You might try and figure out what the high carb foods he binges on arwe and cook low carb equivalents. For example if he's eating pizza, doa low carb pizza etc.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 12:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/179/130 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

His weakness is desserts I tried buying the low carb ice cream but that didn't work too well. He buys the stuff and brings them home. Then tells me it's just 21 grams per 1/2 cup serving but then he eats like 2 cups in one sitting.

The 10 lbs he's lost is where he's at currently from what he was at 2 months ago. But he's gone from losing those 10 lbs, to gaining them back, to losing 5, to gaining 10 to losing 15, gaining 10 etc etc. <---- this worries me.

edit: on the other hand, my will power is in good shape, I haven't touched any of that stuff...

Last edited by BeeDott : Sat, Aug-23-03 at 12:50.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 08:40

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Most of my cravings are blood sugar problems

Unfortunately, it sounds like there's a bit of denial going on, if he's believing that you believe he's only eating 21 g, and if that's what he's telling himself. I had to ease into this kind of honesty myself with the pork rinds, admitting that a bag was one serving and not 16 like the label said, and adding ALL of those calories to my total. Don't know if he can come to that understanding.

That said, I found that virtually all of the time I crave anything, it's because I've eaten something earlier in the day that set off the craving. You might want to read the info on the CAD forum for hints, even if you don't want to follow that program. Or maybe he should; hard to say from here. Diet drinks are the worst, sneakiest offenders--I drink them, I want to eat. Simple. Also, sneak sugar in some salad dressings--I just can't "feel full" and I keep going all night.

Depending on what kind of guy he is and what kind of relationship you have, a trial of some amount of time on VERY strict induction and then gradual reintroduction of "test" danger foods might help. Get the cravings gone and then see what sets them off.

Or just MYOB and get skinny and let him decide if he wants to be a fat guy with a gorgeous wife.