Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-01, 22:40

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 172/155.5/130
BF:
Progress:
Smile Nutri Counter

Do any of you have this?What do or don't you like about it?Should I buy it? Please reply.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-01, 02:37
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Can't say that I know what it is (have to confess, I've never looked at the ads here!), but there is a great nutrition counter right here on this site. It's on the home page under Low-Carb Tools. There is also a hidden carb calculator there.

I use the nutrition counter and and Corinne T. Netzer's Complete Book of Food Counts for all my carb questions.

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Sat, Jul-21-01 at 02:51.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-01, 10:44
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Joyce,

I haven't treid, but I posted their link based on a recommendation I received from a reader. Check their web site and see if it suits your need.

It depends on your approach. I've been low-carbing for years, so I have a sense of what's high and what's low in carbs, fiber and protein without looking at carb-counts. If you're obsessing about the numbers and want to keep track of everything wherever you go, then go for it.

Otherwise, the resources we have available on our site, and in our links should be good enough for most people.

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-01, 15:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

i log my food choice into www.fitday.com. you have to register but it's free. they promote a lowfat, high carb diet, but i just ignore that. if i'm wondering about an item i use corinne netzer's complete book of food counts 5th edition. she's pretty well covered everything.
well, no klingon food!
human food, or terran food!

#5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-01, 18:34
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Joyce,

I went to the site and looked at the NutriCounter. I think it would all depend on what you ate as it appears that are lots of component dishes and restaurant foods listed. Many people here like to use fitday.com. You can paste it into your browser and have a look. It’s free!

You may think that carb counting is more complicated then it is. At first, you eat from a very limited base of foods that you know are “safe”. Then, you can expand a little bit and your knowledge grows along with it. You don’t need to know what the carb count is of spaghetti, for example, because you’ll never be eating it. The same goes with fruit, except for a few berries and melons. I know the actual count for very few items. For some reason eggs at .6 grams each and whipping cream at 6.6 a cup sticks with me. For all other foods, I now know instinctively if I can eat it or not.

What I did when I first started, was to write a list of food I liked and food I was most likely to eat with the portion sizes and carb counts beside each item. I kept one list with me and one on the fridge. It was then very easy to build meals using it. As I expanded my repertoire, I created a database on an Excel Spreadsheet that I could use for recipe calculations.

And this site of course is great for lively discussions and information. You can keep a diary in the My Journal/Bootcamp Forum and ask the members for feedback to keep you on track.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-01, 14:59

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 172/155.5/130
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Good Advice

Hi Karen, I think your advise is right on- I picked up Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution(paper back $7.50)and The Corinne T. Netzer Carbohydrate counter,6th edition,($6.50) today at Border's Books,to get me started.I don't want to wait for the elusive second tape to arrive via the mailman.Are you The Karen that has all the recipes on this sight?I plan to try many of them.Mt first will be the grilled portabello mushroom salad with gorgonzola dressing.Here in Calif,we have an abbundance of fresh veg's.Thanks again.