Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 13:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/143/130 Female 64
BF:?/29.2/23-OMG
Progress: 68%
Angry Entering Starvation Mode – HELP!

I am only on my second week of induction. The first week went very well. Now I find myself “starving” myself – not by free will. I am only averaging at most 10 cabs per day. In a weeks time my daily calorie count is way under 1000. There are days where I consume barely 600!!!! I do try to eat more meats, but since my appetite has really decreased I find myself only eating under 8 Oz of meat a day. Most of the time I am forcing myself to eat. I find this so ironic, because prior to this I couldn’t stop eating..lol. Any suggestion’s to help me is greatly appreciated. I am afraid that I am doing some “damage” that’s really gonna affect this whole WOL.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 13:50
Renovation Cub

Plan: LC
Stats: 330/286/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 34%

FAT!

Get your calories up by adding fat, they are way to low, shoot for 1500. Wouldn't hurt to work on the carbs, add another cup of veggies in or something. Post what you eat and people can take a look and give some more suggestions.
How to add the fat? Olive oil, butter, etc.. on your food, try some full fat dressings/dip on some crisp raw veggies/salad to bump things up - liberally applied of course.
Hawaii - hey, eat some coconuts, you must have a few around I buy coconut oil for cooking, absorbs nicely into scrambled eggs.

just some suggestions
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 14:10
Registered Member

These are the types of food I eat more of….

Eggs
Spring Mix Salad with Tuna
Cucumbers
Celery
Broccoli
Cheese
Zucchini
Less 8 oz of meats
Cheese
Cream Cheese

I hate salad dressing, never use them….lol. I add cheese but seems like I need to add more.
Please remember, as simple as these meals/snacks can be made – It seems that with being a single mom of 3 kids I get very distracted about staying on time to eat. Another thing, I get full very fast.. usually I eat half a stick of plain celery and I can barely eat anymore.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 14:11
Registered Member

Hey my reply got cut..lol.. Well the part it missed:

Thanks Kevin! gotta get me some coconut. Yes your right need more fat, funny thing to say!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 14:25

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Yes, the answer is indeed fat. Oil with salad, cream cheese on anything, butter on veggies, fish, etc. Heavy cream in your cofffe or added to a protein shake. Heck, I eat my Keto Crisp with heavy cream in the morning. I have trouble keeping my calories up too, and if I'm having a truly hard time of it, I add almond oil directly to my shakes - on top of any cream that might be there already!!

Good luck.

Friday
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 14:40

Stats: 178/148/133 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default don't worry

No one's body goes into "starvation mode" overnight -- or even over a week. There's no need to worry that your calories are too low if it lasts only for a few days or so. Don't force yourself to eat fats to "get your calories up this minute no matter what!" because metabolic changes just do NOT happen instantaneously.

I don't understand why everyone acts as though a few low cal days here and there are a total disaster. Yes, you should eat frequently, and keep your calories up to keep your metabolism up -- but that's a lifelong rule, same as "exercise regularly to keep your metabolism high." Would you be panicking about your metabolism if you were forced to be sedentary for a few days?

You've lost your appetite because that's a side effect of ketosis. If your calories are very low for a few days, your weight loss will accelerate -- short term. Eventually, after about two weeks, your metabolism would adjust and the weight loss would continue but much more slowly.

Anyway, if you want to regain your appetite, add a few more carbs.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 15:45
Registered Member

Great Advises…
Suppose I am gonna add oil to my eggs and salads, it’s a totally win-win situation. I don’t drink nothing but water, but I sure do miss other beverages that are a real no-no. I have been this way for about 6 days now and I figure better do something early on to change it. More so because I want to start exercising once again, I just don’t wanna exercise with 600 calories and less than 10 carbs a day in my system --- don’t wanna collapse. Maybe I need to get myself a watch alarm so I can set times to eat.
Thanks guys!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 16:59
Registered Member

Stats: 230/132/119 Female 5'2"
BF:48%/a lot/16%
Progress: 88%

You are probably gonna get a bit hungrier over time. Your body might just be reacting to the excess calories it used to get. I believe if you listen to it, it is gonna ask for enough calories.

Another way to make sure you are hungry is to increase activity. If you have access to a pool, start swimming. Nothing makes you hungry like swimming. I read it is something to do with the cool water temperature or something.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 17:10

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

xerces
I went through the same thing the first 2 weeks. I am starting to get my appetite back now (on day 18). I was having trouble getting my calories above 700.

Take the advice about fat. I had to fight the "low-fat" mindset and it was a little difficult. But ... OLIVE OIL really did it for me. It's got the calories I need and really helps get the fat percentage up in your diet. Just put a tablespoon or two on your salads and on your meats. It helps and it doesn't give you that stuffed feeling you get when you try to add the same amount of calories and fat with solid food.

You should start a fitday journal if you haven't yet. It will really help you see how you're doing with percentages.

Good luck and Welcome aboard!