Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 14:26
100% pork rind free

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/182.5/180 Female 5 ' 10 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 93%
Default *Venting* Re: Office Temptations

I need to complain. I hope you understand.

There have been tasty-smelling high-carb treats in my office copy/mail room for the past 5 work days in a row. What the hell?!?!! I mean, there's usually food in there once every week or two (usually less often in the summer 'cause business is slow). Now that I can't eat any of it, it's like Christmas in August around this place! We've had Krispy Kremes, cookies, pastries -- yesterday someone brought a homemade chocolate cake with caramel frosting and a carton of milk to a meeting that I was in. The meeting was an hour long. People sat there and had second helpings while I watched and kept insisting, "No really, it smells delicious, but I can't."

Now there are plump, soft shortbread-y type cookies fresh from our Kitchen calling my name every time I have to fax, copy, or check my mailbox. I love cookies. I especially love shortbread cookies.

Life sucks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 14:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

First, congratulations on resisting such extreme temptation! Sounds like you are determined to succeed.

Second, you could bring in an LC cheesecake or something so that you don't have to suffer watching everyone eating gooey stuff when you have nothing yummy to eat.

Karla
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 14:51

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

Maybe you could buy some atkins bars to eat,while they are eating their cake and cookies.. It's better than cheating. I have them whenever I want a treat.
Cindy
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 15:02

Stats: 236/186/190 Male 72 inches
BF:21
Progress: 109%

Hi RosaAlta,

Way to go! You are so strong and doing great.

It will be fun to watch the others get plumper as you turn into a beauty.
That is really the only thing you need think about when it gets tough.

I find it useful to have something like diet pop around in like situations to appease my sweet tooth, although after 10 months now, I really don't even feel any temptations. This will happen for you too and it will become easier.

In the mean time, venting is good.
Best wishes,
T.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 15:12

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default If you're strong (and a little mean)

Take one everytime you pass, wrap it in a paper towel, and drop it in the trash.

Plenty of "normal" people do NOT feel the food calling the same way you do, so I think it's fair to help get it out of the office. Or try being one of those "neat freaks" who is terrified of germs and won't leave anything sitting out for more than 30 minutes... oops, I threw it away... I thought you were done.

Or, work to change your mind about whether or not it is even tempting. I know this may sound impossible. But that stuff is about as good for you as eating soap. You know where it brought you. You don't HAVE to eat it anymore--you know if you start, it'll be WAY hard to stop, too.

You don't HAVE to be tempted.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 15:47
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Hang on!! Aside from bringing your own "treat" for your office-mates ( I suggest lovely brownies with ex-lax frosting) or "accidentally" knocking the doughnuts on the floor, I can only commend your resisting temptation, and suggest a stealthy supply of low-carb alternatives.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 15:56

Stats: 252/230/165 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 25%

Man oh Man. Good for you! I am impressed. I have not yet been tested by Krispy Kreme. I hope it never happens. It has been my biggest weakness my entire life.

Your willpower is astounding!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 17:27

Stats: 138/122/115 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
Hang on!! Aside from bringing your own "treat" for your office-mates ( I suggest lovely brownies with ex-lax frosting) or "accidentally" knocking the doughnuts on the floor, I can only commend your resisting temptation, and suggest a stealthy supply of low-carb alternatives.

oh the sanity.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 18:07

Plan: NeanderThin, Atkins mix
Stats: 131/127/127 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%

I work in a family business and my sister-in-law always brings in cakes she decorates. She took all of the Wilton classes and likes to practice and everyone at work (except me) is a willing cake taster. Last week she brought one in and all day long I could smell the frosting in my office. The smell was so much more potent I guess because of the way my body functions now.

Alas, I resisted, and my hips are thanking me.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 18:13
Registered Member

Stats: 232/232/190 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I go to a couple catered breakfast meetings a week where they have a ton of delicious pasteries. I just look at them, look at all the over-weight people scarfing them down, and look at my thin belly and smile
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 18:30
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%
Default good job

Hey... you know the funny thing about it.. when i go to work for lunch i have been bringing such great dishes... because i am cooking a greater variety... like stuffed mushrooms... and porkchops... greatly seasoned chicken.. or steak and bearnaise sauce ( my favorite) .. with pretty colorfull salads..ect...

i am actually making my co-workers jealous!
imagine that... i want McDonalds... and they can have it and don't want it..
IRONIC huh??

as far as the Donuts, they bring in from KrispyKreme every Monday when we have a new set of trainee's... that is torture.. other than that i haven't craved much..
Anyone have a LC recipe for donuts...?? i have a deepfryer???
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 20:10
100% pork rind free

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/182.5/180 Female 5 ' 10 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 93%

I knew this forum was the greatest and you all just proved it again, thank you! I had an Advantage bar about 1/2 an hour after I posted and it helped (tasty chocolate, yum).

Thanks for applauding my willpower, but really, it's more a fear of slipping out of ketosis than anything else. I keep telling myself "you'll be set back three days" and that has worked so far. I'm able to resist, but I don't enjoy it. (I kicked my assistant out of my office on Friday because she came in eating a Blizzard. I said, "Oh no you don't, that's my one big craving! Get out and come back when you're done." She actually apologized and left!)

Thank you all for your support! I will arm myself with LC alternatives and hope this phase passes.