Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 07:10

Plan: Atkins then CALP as of 8/4
Stats: 250/228/160 Female 5ft7in
BF:
Progress: 24%
Question Skipping Breakfast Friend or Foe

I've been doing calp about a week. I've lost two lbs this week. Pretty good I must say for switching from Atkins and actually adding in quite a few carbs. I have experimented with eating breakfast, skipping it, eating a snack, and not. The days I did the best (felt more in control and less hungry) are the days that I only had one cm and one rm and no snacks.

I am having a hard time letting go of the notion that eating fewer times a day is bad for the metabolism.

I have seen comment from one person that they had to add breakfast back. Are there any others out there that had to do this?

How about people who ate breakfast regularly, started skipping it and then did better for a long period of time?

Abie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 08:46

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Abie- I've been wondering about this too. I've only had 1 cm and 1 rm for the past 10 days (or so), with absolutely no budge on the scale. It's the only thing I'm doing differently, so I have to wonder if allowing myself to get hungry is really defeating me. I was losing (although slowly) before. Today I ate a small breakfast (1 egg, 1 strip bacon-gave half of egg to dog)... I'm planning to have a regular cm lunch and my dinner (of course!)--just to see what happens. Also planning to cut out caffeine tomorrow. Or at least have my morning cuppa, then switch to herbal decaf tea if I want anything else during the day. I've had coffee later in the day (to kill the hunger pains) lately, and I've just about stopped sleeping at night. Got to make some changes, and these are the only ones that I can figure out that might help me. I guess a lot of this is trial and error, and dependent on the individual, don't you? Hope you find your way, and get all this figured out. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them, as well...
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 12:08
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

It really depends on the person and their own particular body chemistry. On CAD/CALP you have to learn to listen closely to your own body and adjust accordingly.

Some people get by and lose well on a brunch CM and dinner RM. Some people need three and some need the CS occassionally. Your body can need different meal frequencies on different days. It really depends on the person.

During the week I need the three meals and sometimes even a CS. On the weekend however I seem to do well with just a CM and RM.

Whatever number of meals your need (up to four of course) if fine if it fits your metabolism and you keep losing well. You should never go hungry on CAD/CALP!! In fact, if you're doing it right, your appetite should subside and key to your own natural body rhythm and need for food. If it doesn't then usually something in your diet/foods is reacting with you and needs to be adjusted/eliminated. If that's the case, check out the stall list sticky.

If you are having real hunger pangs and you're not feeding your body, then you are signaling your body that there is insufficient food available to feed it and it will stall.

Remember, you should never be hungry on CAD/CALP if you're doing it right.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 12:38

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Thanks Zuleikaa- I have been letting myself get hungry (trying to get the scale to move, I think)... I see now that I had it all backwards, and I've gotten away from the very thing that was working for me, before. So it's back to the good old cooked lunches (saving deli meats for breakfast-can't tolerate the eggs), and I'm feeling very hopeful again. Appreciate the good advice... Oh, and no, I don't have AS at all except at rm. I found that one out the hard way, too...
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 14:42

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

I have always been a breakfast eater as I didn't want to waste all those hours of calorie burning. How much has that been drummed into us over the years! However, shortly into CAD I discovered that I was MUCH hungrier eating breakfast. Hungrier all day. I'm not hungry for breakfast so my first meal is around 1 or I have just the RM if I sleep in late on weekends. While on vacation I got used to having only RM most of the time and the pattern has seemed to stick a bit even at home, however, I never let myself feel hungry. If I determine that I am truly hungry, I eat. That's firm. Only a few times has this happened at breakfast, but if it does....I eat.

I must confess, I still hear that voice telling me that I'm not starting my fat burning engine in the morning and still have that nagging question in my mind every time I stall. Who knows. We all have to find our own ways.....what's new!

Good luck,
Deb
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 17:20

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 191/189/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Oh, dear, yes!
Progress: 5%

I find that if I skip breakfast, my blood sugar starts a day-long nose-dive, ending with me feeling horrible. But, that's just me. Before CALP (ie, before this week!), I had to eat at least 6 times a day, even on Atkins. Now, I have my 2 CMs, a CS, and RM. (I know that the first 2 weeks of CAD don't include a CS, but I'd rather have some protein than something far less healthy, and feel better for it.) I'm really feeling good on CALP!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 21:50

Plan: Atkins then CALP as of 8/4
Stats: 250/228/160 Female 5ft7in
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Thanks everyone

I guess i will continue to not eat breakfast and then add it in if I start stalling. This week has been an awesome learning experience for me. I am enjoying this WOE more than I have any in the past. I can honestly say I feel more in control than I ever have been and I think I can finally kick this thing.

Abie
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 00:35
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%

Hello I very rarely eat breakfast...I just don't need it and I'm not really hungry for it so i try to listen to my body and eat if I am hungry and not eat if I am not hungry and its just the time most people eat...I usually eat my largest meal-RM at lunch or late lunch/dinner if I am working nights and CM at night and that is usually plenty and has seemed to work out well for me...

When I did weight wtchers a long time ago and had to eat breakfast to get my metabolism going I'd have a bowl of carbs with skim milk and about a hour later I'd be tired cranky hungry and ready to eat everything in sight...carb addiction at its best...I am so happy not to feel like that anymore
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 03:26

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default breakfast

This is one area I totally related to in the book. Even though I always was a big eater the one and only time of day that I was not dying to eat was in the morning. I remember in high school I would never eat breakfast. Only when I got hard core into food addiction did I begin eating round the clock but the one time I was truly not interested in food was in the morning. I experimented with this idea myself when I was on weight watchers. I realized that i was having to force myself to eat breakfast and against advice stopped doing it. I was so excited to read in the carb addict book that that makes perfect sense for us. Since then I have gone ahead and given myself permission to go with my natural tendency to not want to eat in the morning. In fact the book states perfectly what happens to me when I eat breakfast. I am not hungry until I force myself to eat breakfast and by eating that breakfast I now become hungry and starving the rest of the day yet if I pass on breakfast I literally do not even think of food until 2 pm probably. So now I just drink coffee and it has made a HUGE difference.