Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 01:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/171/155 Female 5'7
BF:N/A
Progress:
Question Caffiene and aspartame

Hi! Im new and have a few questions. I realize that there is no nutritional value in caffiene or aspartame, but I am wondering if I still consume one or the other, if there will be an effect or delay in weight loss. Do either substances inhibit the program? I am 9 days into Atkins and feel wonderful. Today was my second day with absolutely NO caffiene or aspartame, and I dont feel as though I am missing anything, other than the heavenly taste of Diet MtDew. I decided to cut it out, since I could not find a straight answer to this question through the people I know doing the Atkins, and I want to follow his instructions 100%.

Also, I am eating less than 15 Carbs a day. Is this harmful in any way? I have NO appetite, and do not crave food or carbs or sugar or anything!!! I force myself to eat and take supplements. BOY I am NOT used to this!! Im used to always snacking on something.

Thanks in advance for replies. The board looks like a great place to learn and share information and success. Im glad I found it!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 03:48
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

Salmchops one thing I have learnt about this WOE is Atkins stated in his induction 20grms of carbs a day and he said that for a reason, that is the minium you should go to!! I learnt the hard way and become very ill, like you I had to force myself to eat when I did I was sick, I had bad stomach cramps and felt so weak I eventually blacked out!! Reason not enough carbs!!
Im not a great veg or salad lover but what I do like within these foods, I make sure I eat plenty off, I love califlower with melted cheese on the top, and it contains those essential carbs I need. Try eating a few nuts macadamia are lovely After tyour 2 week induction). Apart from that if you dont eat enough carbs your weight loss will eventually slow even stall or worse go back up!!
Atkins new what he was talking about when he said 20grms a day!!
If you want read my journal I posted a lot of thoughts when I became ill and how I overcame it!!
Good Luck
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 05:57
Contributing Member

Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

I'm sorry but I'm going to disagree. My carb level for the first few weeks always ran between 10 and 15 with no bad effects. In fact, in Atkins original diet he advocated NO carbs at all. He added them to give people more variety so they would stay on the diet. 20 gr was the most he could allow on induction and still get people in ketosis.

Everyone is different. What affects one will not affect another. That's why you have to find out what works for you. We can learn what to look for from other's experiences, however.

I still drink regular coffee with no effects. Caffeine and/or artificial sweeteners can cause insulin spikes in some people. Increased insulin can cause cravings as well as slow or stop loss. Aspertame in particular as other bad side effects if used over time. It affects the nervous system.

Hope this helps. I repeat - find out what works for you!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 08:34
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

sorry but I am going to have to disagree also, your body does need an intake of carbs in some from from either your veg salad nuts, if you keep deprving yourself, you will eventually make yourself ill!!
20grms is not the most somebody can have to be in ketosis, I am up to 30grms a day and still loosing, infact loosing better now I have increased my carbs. Granted no two people are the same, but slamchops is experiencing lack of appetite which sounds like lack of carbs, by slightly increasing them her appetite should improve, its no fun having to force yourself to eat.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 08:37

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

I am sort of going to take both sides I think it varies from person to person. I, myself, did fine and am still doing fine on 10 to 15 carbs on most days. However, some people can't do that. So, that is something you will have to take by feeling. It is the same on caffeine and aspartame. It affects people in different ways
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 13:27

Stats: 180/171/155 Female 5'7
BF:N/A
Progress:

Hey thanks you guys. Im only a week or so into this, so I understand that its going to be trial and error as to what will work best for me. Im going to keep caffeine and aspartame out of the mix, and increase my carbs through veggies up to at least 20. I am ravenous in the morning, but dont get hungry for the rest of the day. Should I eat my carbs in the A.M.? Is that possibly whats going to help my appetite? I have been having 0 carbs for breakfast and eating my veggies at lunch and dinner.

Either way, there is great news...my jammies slipped off with no help this morning and my stomach is flatter. Im going to go run and measure )!!!

Thank you for your well thought out replies and attention to a newbie. I will most definitely be sticking around to learn as much as possible from everyone here, and hopefully find some new friends. I am inspired by your posts, and hope to return the favor!!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 13:38

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%
Thumbs up It Depends On The Person....

I agree that it depends on the person.... During induction I was ill...I kept my carbs to 20 or less and had no energy and could not think..... When I upped my carb level to 30 via PP I felt much better and more balanced....

I also notice at the lower level of carbs I do feel sick to my stomach more and have to force myself to eat.... Twenty carbs is just not realistic for me and doesn't provide the variety I need to stay satisfied....or energy I need to get moving.... Hope my 2 cents worth helped someone...!!!

Last edited by skeeweeaka : Sun, Aug-10-03 at 13:40.