Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 14:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 233/194/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Tops

Does anyone belong to this support group? They are just opening up one in my area and i was wondering about it. Do you know about what the annual fees are?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 21:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/170/150 Female 5 ft  5 in
BF:
Progress: 50%

i have been thinking of joining TOPS as well. i think their annual fee is like $20 or something? not much. and each group has monthly "dues", but they are only $5 or under. MUCH cheaper than WW! try going to thier website. i think it is tops.com
I would love to get with a local group because i think there is more of an accountability issue.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 23:44

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Well I think they are one of the most reputible weight loss "groups" going, it's more a support /info group which cost next to nothing. Why do I know this????
My Mom has been a Tops/Kops member for more than 30 years, she lost about 40 pounds with them, and goes now more for maintanace. She is 83 years old and has tons of friends she met through the 3 different chapters she has belonged to. I know there is one lady at here group that is following Atkins.

Good Luck Kathy
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 00:18
Zora

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I belong to TOPS and I believe the membership fee was $20.00 and then the monthly dues are about $4/month. In my group, the TOPS Loser of the Month (who has lost the most weight in the group for the month) gets a free month of dues. I have not had to pay monthly dues as of yet. TOPS has a web site too, but I am not sure of the URL. Try searching for it in Google. Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 00:50
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zora
I belong to TOPS and I believe the membership fee was $20.00 and then the monthly dues are about $4/month. In my group, the TOPS Loser of the Month (who has lost the most weight in the group for the month) gets a free month of dues. I have not had to pay monthly dues as of yet.

Way to go! Are you the only low-carber there?

Quote:
TOPS has a web site too, but I am not sure of the URL. Try searching for it in Google. Good luck!

http://www.tops.org/

Wa'il
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 04:36

Stats: 194/164/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

I had joined TOPS years ago and had the best support group ever. We moved away and I never restarted with a new group, which I really came to regret 40+ lbs. later.

I don't know how open they are to low-carbing, but I think they would be; at the time I was a member, each person wase able to choose their own weight loss plan as long as it was a healthy and sensible one.

You've inspired me to look into seeking out a new group. Their website ishttp://www.tops.org/
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 08:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 233/194/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 47%

Thanks for all the info. Their first meeting is Aug. 7th. Im gonna try to go, if I can get a babysitter. Sounds cheap enough for me. At least I would have a place to get an accurate weigh in. Do they measure to or just do the weigh ins?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 08:46
Zora

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarian
Way to go! Are you the only low-carber there?
Wa'il

Hi Tamarian. Yes I am the only low carber in my TOPS group and I have lost more weight than all the others put together. (We have about 7-8 members that consistently attend). They seem to turn their noses up at the foods (and fat) I eat. They just dont get it, but are becoming more interested as they see how well I am losing! When I get back from vacation, I am doing a program about Atkins to educate them a bit about our WOE.

By the way, Stacy, yes, my group measures.

Last edited by Zora : Sat, Aug-02-03 at 08:54.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 08:52

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

I haven't actually joined TOPS. But, I was going to start a group once! They seem to be awesome! And, the regional rep in my area was so informative
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 12:09
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

There is a gal at work that had tried to get me into her TOPS group. I had gone in Gig Harbor, WA and wasn't impressed with their girl scout type vests they put patches on and condescending "we're glad you came" they gave to the members who maintained or gained weight. I don't do well with that type of group. Anyway, this gal has slowly gained weight over the course of the year. She eats a "healthy" looking lowfat lunch every day. She has turned her nose up at my diet saying that TOPS doesn't support it as it isn't a safe or healthy way to loose weight. Funny, my weight and cholesterol levels have gone down-what could I be doing to my body? I'm sticking with Atkins.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 20:46
Registered Member

Stats: 190/170/150 Female 5 ft  5 in
BF:
Progress: 50%

hey-Neener....that is strange that she would say that since i thought TOPS was simply a support group and that their members get thier "diet" plans from their own doctors....and as we all know, SOME doctors are starting to recommend ATKINS!! HHHmmmmm.... LOL.....of course it could just be that the chapter she belongs to is that way...
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 00:16
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

Packy7-
I didn't find them terribly supportive-more competitive really. It seems competition is good for some-but a more supportive environment would have been nice. I like it better here. My weight loss should not matter in relation to someone else-since we are all individuals. You are right tho-I think the anti-atkins is probably this chapter or this lady in particular.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 08:11

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

I was in Tops a few years back and found it well, a little lame.....but whatever works for you...I do like that its cheaper than weight watchers...
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 20:32

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 283/238.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default geez, i forgot

i used to belong to tops in canada, they were great, lost tons of wt, dunno why i didnt think of em this time, going to go back and join tomorrow.... u guys are so smart.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 21:48

Plan: Atkins/fasting
Stats: 263/246/160 Female 67 inches
BF:39.9/29.7/21.9
Progress: 17%

I have never even heard of them. I went to there site, and there is a group in my area. I was very shocked. I will have to look into it more now.