Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 16:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/SugarBusters
Stats: 203/177/120 Female 5' 3
BF:lost 9.65% so far
Progress: 31%
Question Please Read....Question About Meds...

Hi everyone,

This really should have been my first question, but I hate dealin w/ health issues. I've been stalled for weeks now and I can't break that 190 mark. I'm 26 and am on half a dozen pills or more a day for various problems. I have Mitral Valve Prolapse, Tachycardia, SupraVentricular Tachycardia, Social Anxiety Disorder, Panic Attacks, Acid Reflux, Sleep Apnea, Ovarian Cysts, High Cholestrol (260) and Triglyciderides (over 900 last blood test-genetic) Would ya'll take a look and give me your opinion. I have read DANDR but would still like to hear what ya'll think...

1: Atenolol (for heart rate/rythym) it's a Beta Blocker
2: Paxil (anxiety/panic attack)
3: Birth Control (ovarian cysts)
4: Lasix (fluid retention)
5: Prevacid (acid reflux)
6: Potassium (because I'm on Lasix)
7: Xanax (anxiety)
8: Zetia (cholestrol)
9: Cholestyramine (cholestrol)

If some of these meds are the problem, what could I do? I don't think my doctor would change them because it was so hard finding meds that would control my heart rate. It would get as high as 200 bpm and some of this had to do w/ anxiety. So, i'm just really discouraged and wondering if it's hopeless. If I knew that I would eventually lose, then I wouldn't obsess so much about the weight loss. Please give me your honest opinions.

Thanks,
DD

Last edited by DD01 : Mon, Aug-04-03 at 17:18.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 18:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

First, NO, DO NOT CHANGE YOUR MEDS ON YOUR OWN!!! Not when there are so many for diverse problems.

Dr. Atkins said that nearly every prescription medication would have some effect on the rate of loss. BUt he never said that we couldn't lose.

You only started in July this year so this is not a stall. Your body is just resting and adjusting to the pounds you have already lost. You are 16% to your goal already. Even if you started on July 1st, that's only 5 weeks on the LC plan. A 'resting phase' where you don't lose is normal and usual on almost any weight loss plan.

A stall is "6 weeks with no loss of inches OR pounds".

The good news is that by just staying with your LC plan, some of these problems should begin to get better. The triglycerides come down drastically and quickly in most people, gastric reflux usually improves and cholesterol eventually improves. Who knows what else may improve?

You must keep on being monitored by your physician who will know when and if some of the meds can be changed.

Patience and persistence are needed with this way of eating. But LC will work. I hope you soon resume losing, but keep measuring as a person can lose inches while the scales stand still for a while.

#3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 18:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/SugarBusters
Stats: 203/177/120 Female 5' 3
BF:lost 9.65% so far
Progress: 31%

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I actually started Atkins in April. I got off to a couple of bad starts though. I didn't have the book and I ate stuff in the first weeks that wasn't allowed. I bought the book a few weeks later and I've gotten through half of it and will read more as I progress. I just wish I knew why I wasn't losing inches or pounds. I hope I do soon.

Thanks again,
DD
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 21:06

Plan: CALP/Schwarzbien
Stats: 212.5/192/172.5 Female 5' 8
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi DD

So sorry you are having these obstacles. Just know that if you keep up the good work, you will continue losing and improving your health! Please read the book, sooo much good info there that can help you through this.

If you have been on the diet for 6 weeks already, you should have your doctor redo the blood tests for tryglycerides and cholesterol. It is amazing how fast the body reacts to this WOE, so see your doctor right away!

I was also on paxil, as well as neurontin and asperin. These were for pain management mostly, but help with panic attacks too. Since I started using them, I had problems losing weight. Now that I am lowcarbing, the weight comes off anyway but slow. I recently quit the paxil and neurontin just for the summer as my pain gets worse as the weather gets colder, but I am not losing any faster!

Are you sensitive to food additives? I know that MSG, and similar additives will give me an instant anxiety attack, pounding heart, etc. Just a little bit, and I feel like I will die.

Anyway, hang in there! I hope you feel better.

deb