Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 13:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 233/194/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default do you consider this cheating?

I am trying my best at the no cheat august so I want your opinions before I post that I did cheat.
My DH and I stopped at LJS and I looked the menu over to try to find something allowabe. I couldnt find anything so I opted for a piece of fish and 2 pieces of chicken. I didnt have any crunchies, fries or anything else but water. Do you consider this a cheat? I looked it up on the website and it was 16 carbs for the fish and 9 each for the chicken. I am not in induction so it would only make me 34 carbs for the day.
Opinions please and dont worry about hurting my feelings.
I dont feel like I cheated because I had no other choice and the only bad thing would have been the batter they use.
Thanks to all
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 13:55

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Are you seriously feeling guilty over this?

Not making an effort to be appease your sensitivites here, but to me, cheats are chocolate bars, ice cream, and apple pies a la mode.

34 carbs for lightly battered chicken and fish.....please. Let's not degrade and lessen the fully flavorful meaning of the word "cheat" as it pertains to L'cers.

LOL,

Frederick
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 13:55

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

No, you didn't cheat if you're not in induction - in fact I think you made excellent choices.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 14:25

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I couldn't put it any better than Frederick ! You did fine.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 15:06
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:

Frederick is absolutely right! Sometimes we stress over every carb and it's not necessary. We are supposed to enjoy this WOE not make it a hardship. Sometimes we are in situations and just have to do the best we can. IMHO, you still have a cheat free August!!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 16:34
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

To me a cheat is having something you know is no where near on your plan but you eat it anyway. Having fish and chicken was a wise low carb choice, anything carby they sneak in is not your fault and is an accident, not a cheat. Eating out can always be a gamble, but when you find resteraunts that will take your requests for no sugar or starch and give you extra veggies, it's well worth it. We eat out alot some weeks and I worry more about the hidden sodium then carbs
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 20:56

Plan: General
Stats: 185/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:you kidding me?
Progress: 60%

If I plan what I eat and I make it fit it to my daily limits, it is NOT a cheat. Yesterday, I ate 1/4 piece of corn on the cob, but I planned it into my day and stayed at 20 carbs for the day. It was NOT a cheat. Now, if I had given in to the yummy smelling popcorn my sister was eating at the movie we went to today, and had eaten indiscriminately, as much as I felt like, and counted up the carbs later to find that I had eaten way over my limit, THAT would have been a cheat. Don't obsess, you'll lose less. Plan, plan, plan!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 21:00

Stats: 208/205/150 Female 64 IN
BF:
Progress: 5%

No way is that a cheat Stacyshiel You have to do the best you can under the circumstances- sometimes you just can't find low-carb food. To me breaded stuff is not the BEST thing to eat- but think how much worse you could have done- like Frederick put it, chocolate cake and ice cream.

You go girl and don't feel guilty at all
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 21:05
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

What matters is if YOU think it's a cheat, not us. I personally would figure I did the best I could, if there were no lower-carb options. That's why I can't bring myself to put the "cheat-free" logo in my sig... because I prefer to think of it as a good choice, or a poor choice, and not attach any more emotion or guilt to food, I've done THAT all my life!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 21:12

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 238.4/235.6/160 Female 5'7
BF:soo much
Progress: 4%

Did you peel of the breading? Then it is really not a cheat. You did great. Enjoy no matter what!!!!!!!!! You did great. I would have eatin the chips!! LOL!!!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 21:45

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Good for you, you made a wise choice and I say NO it wasn't a cheat!!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 22:03

Stats: 250/248/160 Female 5'4
BF:BigBallaFat
Progress: 2%

Myself, can't stand fish if it isn't breaded. I have had it several times since I started this WOE, and I do think of it as a cheat, but I don't put a lot of emphasis on it, especially since I think it is a "good" cheat, in that I mean, hey, at least it wasn't a potato or a piece of sugary cake. Today, in fact, I had chinese and the meat was breaded. But it was one of the only choices I had at that restuarant and I stayed away from all the fried rice and noodles, so I didn't do as badly as I could have, so I don't really feel bad. Now, I did take that "cheat" into thought when eating for the rest of the day, so I would consume as few carbs as possible to hopefully offset my "splurge".
Here's another point. When I "cheat" like this, I try to do it early in the day, say lunchtime, because then I know I have a better chance of burning those carbs off than if I had eaten and then went to bed.

I think you are doing fine and are making good choices, just don't splurge too often.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 06:47

Plan: General
Stats: 185/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:you kidding me?
Progress: 60%

This is a little OT, Froggiebro, but I used to hate fish without the breading too, until I discovered Parmesan baked fish. You bake those puppies in lots of butter and pile the parmesan on top and YUM YUM!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 07:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 233/194/150 Female 5'4
BF:

Thanks to all of you for your opinions and your encouragement.
To me a cheat is anything that is in not listed in Atkins book. I ate good the rest of the day and watched my carbs so I dont think I did any damage.
I like the way ladybelle put it, it was an accident not a cheat.
I couldnt tell my husband I didnt want to eat at long johns because he loves it and hasnt been eating much himself. I feel I did the best I could so I will add another day to my cheat free logo.
Thanks to all. You made me feel much better about my choice.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 07:21

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 195/180/165 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Actually, I was like: "why is she worried? The fish and chicken were fine, and have ZERO carbs, unless it had flour breading on it." But, I say that if it was lightly breaded, that 30 some carbs is not A BAD THING. You could have chosen to ice cream, or the apple pie.