Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 05:25

Plan: Healthy Eating
Stats: 200/193/170 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Diabetics-Help Please! Also Hi JAKE

Have any diabetics out there noticed an increase in your fasting blood sugar since starting Atkins?

I've been on it going on 5 weeks. Sugars were around 95 fasting. The past 2 days now they're up to 110. Anybody elses do this? Is it normal?

Thanks,
"T"

P.S. Hi Jake---I was wondering where you were and if you were ok. Wrote to you in another post but you must not have seen it. Welcome back! I missed ya.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 10:02

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

hello and yes i got this reaction occasionally.its just your liver releasing glucose back into the bloodstream.mine does this if i drop my carbs below 30 or if i,ve done more exercise than normal and not accounted for it.very annoying as my pancreas totally ignores liver produced glucose and will only respond to ingested carbs.called gluconeogenesis, dr bernstein tells all about it in his book.

christine
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 20:49

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 203/171/170
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsi max
very annoying as my pancreas totally ignores liver produced glucose and will only respond to ingested carbs

Please either explain this to me or point me to the passage in Dr.'s book which explains it. I don't get it at all. How does the pancreas differentiate between "liver produced glucose" and "ingested carbs"?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 00:42

BF:
Progress:

sorry c6h603,
what i meant was dr b explains about gluconeogenesis in his book.
the pancreas not responding to liver produced glucose is a personal observation with me.i found if i get a liver release bgs will stay high until i eat something (carbs-nuts works well) i don,t know the explanation, maybe due to other hormones released at the same time as when you eat or could it be that it is phase 1 insulin that reacts to liver produced glucose and my phase 1 insulin is very poor.i just know by personal testing that this works for me.
i used to go zero carbs when gloconeogenesis occured but found that bgs stayed elevated for a long time and it was by chance i came across another thread on a different site that mentioned bringing bgs down by eating.i know it sounds strange but it works for me.
if anyone has an explanation i would love to know.

christine

Last edited by pepsi max : Mon, Jul-28-03 at 02:23.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 01:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

A month before starting the Atkins program my fasting BG was 300+ two weeks in a row, prompting a "Type II" Dx. After 6 weeks on Atkins, my fasting BG was 114.

I was impressed...so was my doc. But the one who was the most impressed was the dietician who had tried to explain the food pyramid to me...she's asked me if I would consider speaking to a diabetic education group.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 00:44

BF:
Progress:

to c6h603,
when you asked me,how does the pancreas differentiate between liver produced glucose and ingested carbs, it got me thinking as well.
i asked the question on another site and a very kind lady gave me this link.
http://www.geocities.com/m1physiolo...crine/endo5.htm

it also explains what happens duing exercise.
after reading it i came to the conclusion that we are a very complex piece of machinery!

christine