Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 10:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/139/120 Female 65.5
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default wondering......

I know this is a crazy question, but I'm gonna ask anyway......When you cheat on this woe, doesn't your body take a day or two to go back to fat burning as opposed to carb burning?? If that is so...doesn't it seem funny that your supposed to go right back to eating high fat foods?? Wouldn't your body store the fat during that time until it gets to the ketosis stage two days later?? Seems like you should modify something those first couple days (or at least the first day). This has always been a nagging question in the back of my mind. On the occasion that I do cheat, I always really get in a couple great workouts and reduce my calories somewhat for the first day after. Only by a few hundred and not down near 1000. Is this crazy thinking??

Last edited by Chuppet : Tue, Jul-29-03 at 10:21.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 11:39

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Arrow

This is my opinion and I also read on other threads similar opinons:

You cheat - you knock yourself out of ketosis - and yes, it takes anywhere from 48-72 hours to get back into fat-burning mode.

never go back to full-fatty eating the next day...I do, however, eat lots of protein, salads and fat BUT I watch my calories up until I get back into ketosis...then I resume a higher fat WOE.

I find that this works best for me and I tend to get back into ketosis quicker...espeically if I add exercise.

I personally don't think its good for your body going in and out of ketosis ... especially if you do it frequently....I think it may be harder to get back into losing weight consistently ... I know that my going in-and-out of ketosis since May has adversely affected me...have been jumping from 156-159 since then with no loss in weight. I am hoping that now that I am truly focused and vow not to cheat until I reach goal, that the weight will start falling off again.

So in one phrase "DON"T CHEAT...you are doing more harm to yourself than you know".
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 12:37
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

NO CHEATING. SIMPLE.
Best to all;
Happy Jake