Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 14:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/165/126 Female 5ft 4 ins
BF:no idea
Progress:
Talking hi a newbie here

hi very new to this and hope you will bear with me ... it is kinda a long rant....... last year a colleague at work started the atkins diet....... for someone who has battled weight all her life i watched with interest.......I have been reeet skinny, reeeet fat....... thing is he didnt' seem to lose that much weight and although I sorta follwed his advice- neither did I...... ok i didn't have as much weight to lose, nor am I a big eater being your orginal anorexic/bullimic (i can beat jane fonda on the bullimic side - it#s a matter of degrees but trust me it don't go) so the atkins diet was anathema to me - fat high calorie....eeeeeeeeeeek

but figured - i dont eat a lot - can go all day without eating nae probelms - hell when i eat bar the fact i cant be arsed to cook most times, it is low fat sarnies, loads of vegs WHY am I not losing weight....why am I gaining weight...... I am fatter than I have been for 25 years.......Ok i had stayed pretty slim for 20 years after getting anorexia - but it does leave you with a fear of food and i decided to follow him- the workmate.....sooooooooo I fell a wee bit for the have mayonaisse thing cos it tasted sooooo nice.... it is only after reading the book that i see...... eating loads of veges as well and the little bit of cheating most of which I never realised was cheating - aint the way...... i cut out bread and then craved (I did that up until 2 days ago) it like nothing on earth so after a week mebe tto go back to it.....

so let#s see if this atkins thing works - i start tomorrow... ,I bought the book today - it was mind boggling.. I was surprised to see how i had to limit in the induction phase things i love like my veges,,,,,,,,,,, also a lot of other little things I didn't consider carbos - like the dash of milk, the chewin of the gum, the bagel on a saturday after 2 hours at the gym...... to me carbos was avoid rice, pasta, bread , potatoes - which i eat little or none of anyway bar bread - which I also cut every 6 weeks or so - even then i have been taking nasty tasting health food breads with no meat........

I thought i was reasonably clued up about diet stuff - evidently I know nothing about low carbos - so maybe that is why last year the initial 2 weeks without the book failed miserably.... wish me luck
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 04:33

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 216/208.8/150 Female 65 inches
BF:mini goal 206
Progress: 11%

good luck!! Anorexia/Bulemia are hard to get over, as I have noticed. And then when you do get over it, look what happens. So yeah, it took me a year to gain about 80 lbs. It took me 4 years to figure out that this really does work & it's good for you. It's taken me almost 2 mos. to lose nearly 20 lbs. If I'd have only known that 4 years ago. I found this out from a co-worker - she lost a LOT, don't know exactly how much, but I know she was over 250 & now down to 135. It just took her a year. Anyway, everyone will tell you to get the book, but so far I havent picked it up. I rely on www.atkinscenter.com it works for me free of charge. But yeah, there's all kinds of stuff out there that you wouldn't think had carbs. it's amazing.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 08:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/135 Female 5' 5"
BF:46.1%
Progress: 10%

Hi there! I am new too! No one has really posted much to me sooo....I decided I should take the liberty of posting to others!

I have done this diet on and off over the years too. That was the problem, I looked at it as a diet. Now I finally realize it is a WOL. I used to be real thin once upon a very long time ago too...hard to imagine...anyway, I am responding because your comment about loving veggies caught my eye. That is what I had a huge problem with too at first. Then I realized I just had to make the switch from the sinful corn, potatoes, and carrots (my ex-faves) to my new favorites. I eat tons of broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, and (gasp) I never thought I would love spaghetti squash. It took some getting used to, but I think your tastebuds adjust. Another favorite is shredded zuchinni prepared like hasbrowns and a recipie for radishes prepared as homefries. I was skeptical, but they were great. So, don't worry!! You can have lots of veggies. Check out the kitchen section and you won't run out of ideas. Good luck!!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 14:40

Plan: low carb
Stats: 174/110/110 Female 5' 1"
BF:20.8
Progress: 100%

Hi Ya Schops, welcome to the forum and I know you will love it here.

Hello MsBrisby I am glad you are here too. It is so exciting to have a diet plan that works and keeps you happy, instead of hungry.

Happy Low Carbing to you both.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 01:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/136/110 Female 64 inches
BF:29%
Progress: 35%
Default Hi Schops

Hi Schops! You MUST be scottish, I recognise that accent! in your writing!!!

Welcome and stick with it! If you've got enough control to be anorexic/bullimic then i'm sure you will be able to stick with this once you learn to trust it and see some results you'll be well away but it DOESN'T work with even a little bit of cheating, a teaspoon of cough medicine can ruin you weight loss!!!

I lost 25lb in 7 weeks and am CONVINCED I will always have a problem with wheat!! headaches and poor sleeping have gone for good, no cravings like before they say that what you crave the most is where your allergy/ food sensitivity might be, me? french bread, VERY high in gluten! I rest my case!!! I will NEVER eat bread again !!!

Good Luck and rant on as much as you need

Love SarahP