Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 13:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 177/178.5/135
BF:
Progress:
Default Hello again

Hi everyone. I'm Sharon, I messed up putting my username in and put a code cp4t instead. Can't get it changed. Anyway, last night was my first night on and I asked questions about my metabolism being affected by my hours of work and about gout/Atkins. So far no responses Maybe I need to go to the main forum.

Anyway, it's great to read everyone's story; it helps so much. I'm beginning my 4th day now and am struggling with needing my chocolate after I eat. The low carb bars aren't that satisfying. However, so far today I have noticed a decrease in appetite, so maybe that will help. Going to GNC today to find lo-carb bars. Also, I miss ice cream. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 14:21
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hello Captain 4T !

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately it is my task to remind you that chocolates - lc and otherwise are not recommended during induction . Can you hang on for 10 more days?

I would check out the recipe threads - several people have come up with lc ice cream concoctions. There is also LeCarb ice cream ( - another treat for after induction.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 17:44

Stats: 177/178.5/135
BF:
Progress:

Thanks Iowagirl for reply. Oh no! I've had 2 zero carb chocolate bars since I started. Will that mess me up? I thought I could have that or the low carb protein bars for a snack during induction as long as I didn't go over 20g carbs. Just got back from the store with some. I'll was hoping for a quick sweet tooth fix that I didn't have to make. I will have to look at some recipes.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 18:49

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%

The initial cravings are an unfortunate part of anything we are trying to break free of. If you stick with this and struggle through, the cravings will naturally decrease and you won't find such a need for sugar or chocolates.

I can relate completely to what you're going through, but you've got to want the healthier body more than you want the chocolate.

After induction, you can be a bit more lax. I don't do Atkin's, so I can't give exact advice on it, but I can say you've got to want this.

I'll tell you I've never felt better or looked better than when I lo-carb and you likely will be the same.

Good Luck!!! Stick it out!

Jeannie
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 19:47
Registered Member

Plan: Curves
Stats: 177/170/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 19%

Hi Sharon!
My instructor told me that for a quick fix on for a sweet tooth, you can have sugar free jello, with ready whip on top. So far its worked for me. I didn't buy the ready whip, but the jello alone works! Also my protien shakes fill my need for sweets!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 05:40

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%
Default That's a great idea

Also, Sharon, try this if the cravings are too much to bear:

2 Tablespoons of cream cheese mixed with one packet of Equal (or one teaspoon of Splenda)
Sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy. Super easy, tastes like cheese cake and is a terrific sweet tooth tamer.

Also try making your own sugar-free frozen pops out of Crystal light. These last a while and also help feel like you're having a great treat.

I have an 11 year old son trying to low carb and I've had to find ways to curb his sweet tooth. These help quite a bit.

Once again, best of luck on your new lo-carb, healthier life.

Jeannie