Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 09:12

Plan: My own
Stats: 120/125/95 Female 4'11''
BF:
Progress: -20%
Talking californiaaaaaaaaa

okay- is anyone out there from northern california, bay area? or even central/south? just want to get a community together here. i'm located in the south bay (bay area).....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 23:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/146.4/138 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 58%

I'm in NorCal but not Bay. I'm in Davis going to school, and Stockton is my home town. Good to see another Californian, hope some more reply.

Jamian
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 09:30

BF:

thanks for responding jamien =) appreciate it. its cool that you're also in your 20s, its hard to find young lcbers out there. maybe if we get enough people we can throw a low carbers picnic or something...
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 21:03

BF:

That sounds great!
I've been trying to keep an eye out for the younger crowd on the forum too, and other Californians. Theres a few college folks in the "students and teens" section of the forum, but it isn't super bussy. I'll keep checking back here for more Californians and I'll see you around.

Jamian
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 13:21

Plan: atkins (testing hf/mp)
Stats: 157/143.2/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:why i oughta...
Progress: 69%
Default central coast

Hi:

I'm not as young as the two of you, but I do live in CA (SLO) and haven't found anyone in this forum that lives any closer than LA, SF, Fresno, or Bakersfield. But there are a lot oc LC'rs here based on the way the products jump off the shelves at Trader Joes and new Frontiers.

Congrats on your successes.

Ellie
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 18:23

BF:

Hey satihap,

I was wondering if you were going to start a journal or if you know how to do the private messaging thing? Go to your control panel by clicking the profile icon a the top of the screen and check your Private messages (I sent you one). Stop into my journal or PM me.

Jamian
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 09:47

BF:

j-

got your pm..thanks =) i'm going to try to start a journal too...hope some of our california folks stop in and say hi!!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 12:33

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

I'm so happy I found this post. I am also a college student trying to find other local LC'ers. I'm in Sacramento right now, but I am moving to Monterey in August and I can't find a single LC'er from that area.
I'm worried that I won't be able to find good stuff down there. I hear there is a Trader Joe's, but those can be hit or miss depending on the location.
I'll keep checking in, it's great we found eachother!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 14:32

BF:

welcome sknymonkey! yeah, it seems like nor cal lcbers are hard to find...especially younger ones. monterey is BEAUTIFUL..why are you moving there? well, there are 3 LC stores that i know of as you make your way down:
1 in san ramon
1 in fremont
1 in cupertino

the ones in san ramon and fremont is greenbeans and the cupertino one is cupertino nutrition.

still- both are PRICEY and not as good as trader joes.

hope that helps?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 12:18

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 317/309/160 Female 5 FT. 9 IN.
BF:
Progress: 5%

I'm South Bay....San Jose area. But I'm not a young Low-Carber so perhaps won't fit into this group.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 17:23

BF:

Welcome,Meadow, and sknymonkey! Great to see you, glad you found this thread!
I don't think any of us are into making an exclusive group, just trying to find people we have things in common with, the more the merrier, and different perspectives are the most helpful.

So, skny-
I'm like 20 min away from you! Do you go to Sac State? I'm at UCD, wont be done for another year. Maybe we can get together before you leave the area. My BF and my room mate do atkins too, maybe we could do that BBQ that sati mentioned? How 'bout it folks?

Jamian

Last edited by jamian : Wed, May-21-03 at 17:28.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 22:21

Yeah, I just finished my last semester at Sac State. I'm transfering to CSU Monterey because I like their program more. I went back to school as a junior at 24, and I figure since I've waited this long to it, I might as well do it right. I'm a photo major and there is a HUGE photography community in Monterey. So off we go!
A picnic or BBQ would be a lot of fun. I make killer fake mashed potatoes.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 23:19

BF:

Skny-
Monterey is so beautiful, sounds like you'll love it. Way to go for following your dreams. My room mate also started at UCD at 24 as a junior. She spent her earlier years off and on at a JC in San Diego, and finally decided she was up to going after what she really wanted and transferred to UCD and plans to apply for the vet school after she gets her BS in animal science. Hope everything goes well for you, I'm sure it will.

How do you make your fake mashed potatoes (if it isn't a secret)? I've done mashed cauliflower as something bland and white to put butter or cheese on, but it ends up more like rice.

One more thing: I got sati to start her journal, so now I'll get on your back. It's easy, just go to the home page, down to journals/bootcamp and start a thread in the S section. To add entries just "reply" to your thread. That way you can have a place where friends can find you and talk about personal stuff w/o having to do it randomly in other threads.

See ya.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 10:28

The secret with the cauliflower (frozen, 16oz bag, but first nuke it with a little water and a pat of butter until it mushifies) is to first use a hand potato masher (I found one at the dollar store) then add cream cheese(8oz), stir, THEN use an electcic mixer. This keeps it from flying all over the place and you can smoosh the big chunks before your mixer has to contend with them. Then add 8oz of cheese. I also like green onion and bacon, but I don't always have them around.
My mother foud this at a different lowcarb site, but it said to use a POUND of bacon Also, at first we scoffed the hand masher. DO NOT SCOFF THE HAND MASHER!! It will be your best friend if you like this recipe. I have never liked cauliflower until now.
I'm still considering that journal thing. Is that the only way that you can private message? I'll go check yours out.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 20:30

BF:

Skny-
Journals aren't the only way to private message, just look under any posting from anyone and there is a little index card type icon. Click on that to PM them. Journals are like places people can get together and talk about things that are important to them, or to write down what you eat, or how your feeling and get general support from people who know you and want to check in and see how you're doing.

Jamian