Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 11:55

Plan: Keto <38 carbs daily
Stats: 316/287.2/132 Female 64
BF:Isn't It Obvious?!
Progress: 16%
Question Fat Burners??

FAT BURNERS

Anyone take these? I took them last fall when I was LC-ing. They seemed to work real well for me and hubby.

Now that I am starting over again, wondered if anyone else takes them and how they think the pills are working for them.

A serving of mine (4 tablets) include:
Chromium Picolinate 200 mcg
Proprietary Complex 152.3 mg
(this includes: cinnamon powder, bitter orange extract, cayenne powder)
Kola Nut Extract 500 mg
Caffeine 100 mg
(as caffeine anhydrous, caffeine citrate and from kola nut extract)
Yohimbe Extract 25 mg (w/2 mg from yohimbine)

I know nothing about any of these ingredients, except that chromium picolinate is very helpful when trying to lose weight. Anyone know anything about the rest of them, and if the caffeine is too much for a day's intake? It is the ONLY caffeine I get a day.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 15:45
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/176/165
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default fat burner

Have you tried xenedrine? I just started using it and man, my procrastination days are over.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 16:01
Midas in reverse

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/231/165 Male 75 inches
BF:~31%/~26%/<17%
Progress: 31%

I've found Xenedrine and Guggulplex to be helpful, as well as phaseolin starch blocker if taken ~1/2 hour b4 eating.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 18:24

I had heard that xenedrine could be harmful. Something I heard on TV. Had some of the same ingredients as Metabolife. Here's an article I found online:

http://www.proteamphysicians.com/pa...catname=General

"I was wondering what your thoughts were on the Sports supplement Xenedrine? How should it be taken? What are the known side effects?
- Jon, Massachusetts

Xenedrine contains ma huang, which is structurally similar to ephedrine.

This is a stimulant that increases blood pressure and pulse rate. Manufacturers claim that such supplements help to "burn fat." I would be suspicious of any product that makes this claim. There is no SAFE, effective way to "burn fat." The only safe way to promote weight loss is the decrease the number of calories taken in while increasing the number of calories used (eat less and exercise more).

Some people can lose weight taking this supplement but it can also cause serious side effects such as high blood pressure. There have also been reports of users having heart attacks and strokes while taking such medications.

I would NOT recommend this supplement.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This question was answered by William E. Straw, M.D., team physician for the San Jose Sharks."

Another message said:
"mua huang, found in Xenedrine, is ephedrine, banned by the IOC (International Olympic Committee) and the NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association). It can cause palpitations and may be associated with heart dysregulation, among other side effects. "

A little scary...
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 21:28
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Due to market pressures Xenedrine, or at least all I can find, is now ephedera free. In fact it's hard these days to find ephedera. They are using new ingredients now, which many think aren't as effective as an ECA stacker, but have better safty records.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 23:11

Well, this is good to know. I have a friend taking the Xenedrine as well, and I was encouraging her not to take it. This will make her feel better.

I looked up the ingredients on my Fat Burners and found that the different things like Cinnamon and Cayenne are great to have. The Kola Nut is really just another form of Caffeine. I don't know what the Yohimbe is though. However, I think I will keep taking them, for the extra ingredients, as opposed to just taking Chromium Picolinate.

Thanks for everyone's imput...
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 07:06
Midas in reverse

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/231/165 Male 75 inches
BF:~31%/~26%/<17%
Progress: 31%

Your fears about Ma Huang are mostly groundless; Warning someone to stay away from something simply because you have heard it is bad is irresponsible. Ephedrine is what Dexedrine, and it's timed release counterpart Adderal, was originally synthesised from. So is/was Pseudoephedrine, aka Sudafed. For a person with ADHD, ephedrine/Ma Huang is a somewhat less effective, but viable non-prescriptive (and therefore considerably less expensive) alternative to Dexedrine/Adderal/Ritalin. Probably safer. All medications, herbal, OTC, or prescriptive, should be used with caution, with the effective dose "worked up to" from a non-functional dosage. Responsible physicians know and practice this. Unfortunately such physicians are a rare commodity, indeed. In the 1960's, so-called OTC diet pills contained Dexedrine as their active ingredient. It was put on prescription by government decree because it was a mild amphetemine, and therefore bad by association, and because doctors were losing alot of money from consumers doing their own legal prescribing.

There will always be idiots out there that will willfully abuse their bodies, even unto death, whether it be from taking Ma Huang to lose weight, or taking Steroids to gain muscle, or refusing to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle, or refusing to use a seatbelt. Legislating against their irresponsibility causes equally bad unintended consequences. Instead, teach people how to make correct decisions, then let them govern themselves, for better or worse.

Last edited by Azraelle : Tue, Jul-01-03 at 07:09.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 09:58

All good information. Good to know it is fine to take. Thanks for posting.

Bless someone today with your
smile!
---Kris
"ICanDoThis"
halfway goal: 200 by Dec 31
goal: 130 by June 30, 2004
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 15:00
Registered Member

Plan: TKD
Stats: 195/185/210
BF:
Progress: -67%

Yohimbine is an alpha-2 adrenoreceptor antagonist. The alpha-2 adrenoreceptors, when stimulated, will inhibit lipolytic enzymes and inhibit lipolysis (fat-burning). Antagonists will "block" these receptors, and thus are analogous to "releasing the brake" on fat-burning. (The standard ECA stack, with the beta-3 agonist ephedrine, is the "stomping on the gas" part.) Yohimbine is okay with caffeine, but I would avoid combining ephedrine and yohimbine - which this formula doesn't, good. (Some people have combined them, because it is like "stomping on the gas" and "releasing the brake" at the same time - but it carries the risk of profoundly negative effects!!)
Cinnamon is believed to be an insulin mimetic. Most studies have been in rats or in vitro in rat cells, but it's promising enough and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon only costs pennies.