Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 08:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/220/140 Female 5ft.  2 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default need help in N. H.!

Hi. I'm Elizabeth, I'm on my first week of Atkins, and feeling like death warmed over! I have A LOT to lose, and am trying to lose some of the needed weight before spinal surgery in five weeks. As of yesterday, I'd lost four pounds, but three of them snuck back during the night, so I've lost one pound in four days. Thing I crave the most isn't real sweets -- it's fruits and fruit juice. Did put a few blueberries in cottage cheese yesterday, but not three pounds worth!! Look forward to hearing from people here, as I'm disabled and live alone.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 08:57

Stats: 189/159/145 Female 63 inches
BF:40%/39%/low
Progress: 68%
Default NAW

it's just fluid... don't worry.

The ideal thing to do (that is if you insist on weighing) is to weigh as often as you like BUT add them together then divide and write down your average for the week. Use the average as your guide... NOT the daily weights!

My weight can fluctuate as much as 4 Pounds !

Don't let it bother you!!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 09:04
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%
Progress: 16%

Water weight! That where you are seeing the fluctuations. My weight can vary by 5 pounds is it's near my TOM or I've eaten a lot of salt. Try not to get frustrated. Also remember that weight comes off in spurts for a lot of us -- some don't lose anything their first week in induction but lose in the second week, some lose during the first week and nothing in the second. Your weight loss will not be a straight line downward.

Have you measured yourself? This can help you during the weeks when your scale doesn't move -- but you may discover that you are losing inches.

I totally understand your cravings! Berries are not allowed during induction, but maybe sugar free jello, diet rite soda, homemade Davinci syrup flavored popsicles or tomatoes would help.

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 11:50

Stats: 230/220/140 Female 5ft.  2 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default TOM???

Thanks for the "compliment"! It's been ten years since that's been a problem (and for some reason, I never experienced a symptom of menopause). I guess since God gave me spinal stenosis, he decided I deserved some kind of a break. The fact that I am fairly immobile makes losing weight very difficult, but all that more important. It feels like Catch-22. Next month I'm having a "cage" put around my spine for stability, and I'd desperately like to take a little weight off before then. Can you imagine eating hospital food for two weeks!? Anyone want to sign up for care packages?? I really want to continue living independently, so there is more riding on this than my vanity. Since I live alone, I'm finding reading these posts to be of great interest and I appreciate the "company". Thanks very much!